Complaint Review: American InterContinental University online

• Submitted: Thu, September 20, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, September 21, 2012

• Reported By: Fantasy — Lake Charles Louisiana United States of America
American InterContinental University online
5550 Prairie Stone Pkwy Suite 400 Hoffman Estates, Illinois United States of America

American InterContinental University online AIU online Refused to release any transcripts so that I can attend another college ,unofficials as well, and mislead me about job placement upon enrolling, literally told me that I was trapped (literally), won't Hoffman Estates, Illinois

*Consumer Comment: comment

I attended AIU Online in June 2011 and withdrew from classes after feeling uneasy about accruing further student loans with AIU. I was making good grades, but wasn't learning anything. I was reluctant to "college hop" without further uncomfortable things relating to AIU being present. I did some research and found about AIU's history with losing their accreditation (even though they are now "accredited"). Their tarnished reputation made me uneasy. I continued to check on the school (what I should have done primarily before attending). They are also not listed on the department of education's website. They are not BBB accreditede either. Despite all of this, I was willing to give them a chance if they would verify that they at least had job placement (which they told me they had when I enrolled).

I called an inquired about job placement and they told me they did not offer job placement. I just found out all kind of things about the school and decided that I wanted out. I wanted to go to a traditional campus college instead to have a better chance of earning a "valid" degree. I asked how I would be able to withdraw without a balance and was told that I was "trapped". Those were the actual words of the person on the phone. "There is no way to withdraw without leaving a balance with AIU, even if you would use your next federal stipend to pay off the prior balance with us. You would just accrue another balance if you attended until then." Everything in the quoatation marks were actually said to me on the phone. I withdrew and was told that AIU would not even release my unofficial transcripts until I would be able to pay the $1100 dollars off in full. So, I can't attend any college anywhere. I don't think that I should be held accountable for those charges because of how I was mislead or atleast that AIU should release my unofficial transcripts so that I can be conditionally admitted to another college and pay off AIU to get the official ones with my next stipend. I am unable to work because I am a full-time housewife, my husband works all the time and I can't afford a babysitter. I was even willing to pay off AIU in installments but they said that they needed the amount in full.

My only hope of doing that before my student loans become due (6mths from withdrawal) is to attend my next school and pay off AIU in full via a federal stipend refund. Please help me to solve this dilemma. I do not want further confrontation with this school. I would just like to be able to pay them off and forget that I ever attended AIU. They are unwilling to even give me the chance to pay back money that I feel that I should not owe anyway. Also, I have tried to go to several schools since withdrawing from AIU and have been turned down by all of them because I owe AIU and can't even get my unofficial transcripts.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/20/2012 10:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-InterContinental-University-online/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-/American-InterContinental-University-online-AIU-online-Refused-to-release-any-transcript-944100. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American InterContinental University online

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Unfortunately, you are, indeed, "trapped". It is common practice at all colleges to withhold student transcripts until the balance is paid in full.  That's how they make sure they get their money.

Your only recourse is to pay them off, and not enroll in another school until you do.  Insofar as your student loans are concerned, you can apply for a forbearance until the debt is paid, you can re-enroll somewhere else, and get your student loans back in deferred status. Check with your lender, as this is very easy to do.

May I recommend that you look at local community colleges? They're far cheaper and almost always have on-site day care for a nominal price.  They also offer internet-based programs for moms just like you.

Good luck to you, and don't give up on your educational aspirations!