Complaint Review: American Legal Services

• Updated: Sun, February 10, 2013

• Reported By: Jodi — Vancouver Washington United States of America
American Legal Services
1234 e st Brooklynn, New York United States of America

American Legal Services Sean Michael, Mike Anderson They said I could go to jail for 6 months Brooklynn, New York

*Consumer Suggestion: For future reference

I was grocery shopping this morning and I recieved a voicemail from a number I didnt recognize.  I listened to the voicemail and all I could understand is that it was a guy named sean michael and it was a time sensitive call and to please call them back as soon as possible.

I proceeded to call them back and he told me that I was being sued for a $495 bill to someone in New York and that if I didnt pay them today then the amount would go up to $3000+.  I informed him I had no money and no way to make it to New York and he told me that if I didnt show up in the Superior Court in Brooklynn, New York on Friday then a sheriff from my county would come and arrest me and extradite me to New York where I would go to jail for 6 months. He then informed I would be served papers at my address in 2 hours.

As soon as I got home I looked American Legal Services up online and found out that it was a scam. Just to make absolutely sure I went to my local police department and asked them about this and to see if they had recieved any faxed papers and they said they hadnt.  I had no court papers waiting to be served.

This whole thing was really unsettling to me because I have a clean record and never want to go to jail. Im still concerned because they do have my social security number and address.  Im just glad I didnt fall for their scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2012 07:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Legal-Services/Brooklynn-New-York-/American-Legal-Services-Sean-Michael-Mike-Anderson-They-said-I-could-go-to-jail-for-6-mon-880558. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Legal Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

For future reference

AUTHOR: Anyways11 - (USA)

I know these scams can be unsettling. I have been called by this idiot as well. If you are being arrested, then you will be served with papers. No one will call you. Second and most importantly, you cannot go to jail for owing a debt. The worst they can do is claim it against your credit score. The best suggestion is when you recieve this type of call, hang up and contact the Federal Trade Commission and your state's attorney general office to report them. Eventually they will be arrested.