Complaint Review: American Medical and Life Insurance

• Reported By: Norm H — simpsonville South Carolina
American Medical and Life Insurance
59 maiden lane suite 610 New York, New York USA

American Medical and Life Insurance Fraud New York New York

My COBRA ran out on May 1, 2012 and after doing research I was contacted by an agent who told me about AMLI and all it's benifits.  My wife used to be on the board of directors of Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Northeast Pennsylvania so I put her on the phone where she asked all the right questions about coverage and hospitalization and the agent gave all the right answers and I began coverage with relatively good health at the time.  The agent sent in my Certificate of Continuing Coverage and my Cobra cancellation.

In October I had a severe upper respiratory infection and first went to the Urgent Care doctors (my doctor was listed as a participant but he wasn't) and ultimately to the emergency room.  They took my insurance information and got a bill for a little over $4,200..I contacted my agent and he came back and said the COC hadn't been filed so he resubmitted and the claims were refiled for processing.  I got an Expanation of Benifits where I got a whopping $95 discount and they paid $75 for an X-Ray..So on a $4,200 bill, my coverage picked up under $200.

I purchased their best plan and paid $320 a month for a year so I actually would have been better off by a few thousand if I hadn't been "insured".  I called the number listed on the EOB to start a review and the number was for Humana who never heard of AMLI.  I called customer service and there were 5 calls ahead of me..Then that dropped to no calls but I still waited 20 minutes to get a live person who informed me that I didn't have an urgent care rider, something the agent never mentioned and my wife never heard of.  After doing research that I should have done before I signed up, I find countless articles to show that these people are nothing more than CROOKS.  Do not ever go with these people.  They are an umbrella for a number of scam insurances..DO YOUR RESEARCH..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/11/2013 08:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Medical-and-Life-Insurance/New-York-New-York-10038/American-Medical-and-Life-Insurance-Fraud-New-York-New-York-1058178. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Medical and Life Insurance