Complaint Review: American Modern Insurance Group, Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, June 04, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, June 04, 2013

• Reported By: jln47 — Broken Arrow Oklahoma
American Modern Insurance Group, Inc.
PO Box 5323 Cincinnati, OH 45201-5323 Cincinnati, Ohio USA

American Modern Insurance Group, Inc. Will not honor policy - Solicits business promising service that they are unwilling to provide. Cincinnati Ohio

I purchased a new manufactured home in January 2008, paying cash for it. Having never lived in a manufactured home before I shopped for insurance before choosing American Modern over my regular insurance company that had insured my homes for years because the yearly premium was a few hundred dollars less. That was a big mistake. It doesn't matter how cheap the policy is if they refuse to honor it.

I paid my premiums faithfully never having a claim from January 2008 until today. In 2011 American Modern sent me a letter promoting a new policy they were offering - a Mechanical Breakdown policy that included appliances, electronics and HVAC. There was a $250 deductible and a reasonable premium so I included the Mechanical Breakdown policy. In December of 2013 when I got my renewal notice my premiums had increased over 30% and the deductible for the Mechanical Breakdown had doubled to $500 although I had never made a claim. This spring when I used the air conditioning for the first time I noticed it was not cooling.  I called the HVAC company and they informed me that I needed a new evaporator coil because it was rusted out from the condensation. I had it repaired because it was getting hot and you don't want to be in a manufactured home in Oklahoma in the heat.

I had been paying for Mechanical Breakdown insurance for over 2 years so I submitted a claim. After 3 weeks of expecting to hear from the claims agent in Cincinnati, Ohio but nothing. I called today and was told the claim was closed and the coil was not covered because it was normal wear and tear. WHAT? There was nothing about normal wear and tear in the letter soliciting my business touting their policy. My air conditioner broke down but NOW American Modern wants to debate the meaning of breakdown. My agent that has my car insurance and my homes never questioned a claim (which were very few) but this is beyond the pale in what should be expected or tolerated.  I bought the modular home because I’m old and in poor health, living on social security, I don’t need the aggravation from weasel insurance companies.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2013 10:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Modern-Insurance-Group-Inc/Cincinnati-Ohio-45201/American-Modern-Insurance-Group-Inc-Will-not-honor-policy-Solicits-business-promisin-1056295. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Modern Insurance Group, Inc.