Complaint Review: American Rental Sales Lease Ownership

• Submitted: Sat, February 16, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, January 02, 2009

• Reported By:Whitestown Indiana
American Rental Sales Lease Ownership
2230 N. Lebanon St. Lebanon, Indiana U.S.A.

American Rental Sales Lease Ownership Harassed my Children, Threatened to "Sit Outside" Until I Came Home, Threatened to Bring Police To My Children Lebanon Indiana

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: No Way

My fiance rented a laptop computer and a gaming system from our local American Rental store. They seemed very friendly at first, but started off badly when they refused to put her on a biweekly payment plan when I told them I get paid biweekly.

She got behind on my payments due to losing my job, and tried to make arrangements to pay them but they refused her, saying that she had to pay "in full or we'll get the sheriff out there."

Early last week, she got up and put the laptop in the trunk of her locked vehicle with the intention of returning it and only maintaining payments on the gaming system, since it was gotten for the kids. The kids ended up having a delay at school due to heavy fog, so she was an hour behind in leaving versus when she had planned.

When she got out to her car, local thugs had broken into it ONCE AGAIN. Usually they just get in and mess stuff up, but the laptop and some child support checks of hers were gone, as well as the interior of the car was damaged. She filed a police report immediately and faxed a copy to American Rental.

This morning, my oldest daughter was watching her two youngest siblings when American Rental came knocking. They forcibly came into my home and demanded to search the house looking for the laptop as well as the gaming system (which was sitting in plain view). My daughter said she had to call her father, and they told her they'd get the sheriff out here and tried to follow her to the back of the house. When she called me, I told them to get out of the house and I'd call them when he was home. They proceeded to tell my daughter that they'd "be back shortly" and would "sit outside the house until their mom came home". She was terrified.

They came back about 10 minutes later. Once again, my daughter told them to leave. They did, but then they called under "private numbers" and their own number, plus an employee's cell phone number over 10 times. This was in just under an hour.

What are my rights? My wife filed the laptop as stolen and I don't appreciate them harassing my child. They told my daughter that they'd report it to the police that she was home alone with her 8 and 10 year old sister-she's 13, a week away from 14, and was home alone for just under 2 hours.

I remember a local police officer telling me when I was talking to him about it that all they can do is harass us and take my wife to court under small claims-is this true? If so, I'm tempted to just have my wife tell them to take us to court.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Frustrated_in_indiana_again
Whitestown, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2008 09:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Rental-Sales-Lease-Ownership/Lebanon-Indiana-46052/American-Rental-Sales-Lease-Ownership-Harassed-my-Children-Threatened-to-Sit-Outside-Un-309409. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Rental Sales Lease Ownership

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: James Jackson - (U.S.A.)

I believe this woman i am a former employee of American Rental store #47 in Elizabethtown Ky. This pasted Saturday after Chirstmas I was "let go" for reasons that I am sure that David P David and Bill District manager and current General Manager no nothing about. Or do they? This company is shady. I regret ever having work there. they show favoritisms. Not to say any names but it pays to have your stepfather being manager of another store to get you off the hook when screw up. I was fired for "a customer complaint" that was resolved. Yet this employee D.B, screwed up a contract that would have played host to the favor of the customer. Legally binding are these things signed dated contracts. When the customer catches it and the store manager threatens to kick his @$$ because he wont honor what his employee did is a shrewd no matter how you look at it. Not to mention that the Store manager is on the verge of having an affair with a customer, sorry Jacinda. Your what Mr. Marshall calls "A matter of conveyance". Which by the way are pretenses that i was fired. Truth to told let us continue shall we? Do lets. This stepfather figure as a individual working for him that was (MIT) Manager in Training. On his way to the Home office of Full-O-Pep Enterprises, was arrested for DUI. Locked up for a few days and returned to work as if nothing happened.
Still not convinced this place is crooked? How about that taxes imposed on the merchandise is calculated for Indiana sales taxes not the state in which you reside the formula is weekly or monthly payment X 1.166 = cost or that for every $100 of revenue pre-rented items gain it is "supposed" drop in cost by $1-$2 dollars or that that figured insurance(and i do love this part) is optional if you Decline the Liability Damage Clause you amount of the fee can be deducted from the 120 day same as cash price.Ooops! sorry for giving that away. so, yeah. I believe this woman my best advice is call them tell them to come get their used and poorly maintained and crafted merchandise and buy retail and save yourself a couple thousand dolloars.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

No Way

AUTHOR: Yoman - (U.S.A.)

First off I dont beleve the just went into you home and frightened your daughter. You are blowing it out of propertion. And secondly if the laptop was late and they are wanting to come get it that bad that means you were really far behind on payments. Thirdly you dont have insurance on the laptop if payments arent current so even if it did get stolen it is not covered. Which i Highly doubt it got stolen.

DONT BE A SCAMMER AND TRY TO GET SOMETHING FOR FREE. PAY FOR IT