Complaint Review: American Smart Shopper

• Updated: Fri, October 25, 2013

• Reported By: Leetta — woodway Texas
American Smart Shopper
Casa Grande, Arizona USA

American Smart Shopper Patrick Scam to create reoccuring charges on your debit/credit card. Casa Grande Arizona

Hi.  I recently received a call from a man calling himself Patrick, From American Smart Shopper.   He informed that I had won a 100 dollar gift card.  But then told me that it would cost more than  7 dollars to send it to me. No other reason, than to send it to me.  And further,  he stated,  "it was a 1 time processing fee."  Then  he ask me for verification of who I am by giving him  my active Visa/MasterCard in my name.   1st off.  I do not send my account numbers to anyone, for obvious reasons.  And If it were as he stated, to activate the card, and to process it,.... It (No where I am aware of) costs over 7 dollars to activate a gift card, or to mail it.  Its approximately .50 cents to mail it... and gift cards are activated at the stores he named absolutely for free.  So whats the deal?   WalMart, Home Depot, and Lowes are among the stores he named.  And when I called these stores they are unaware of such promotion using their names.  They also confirmed that they do not charge to activate gift cards.  Walmart sells Visa/MasterCard gift cards.  They do not charge anymore that the activation amount to buy one. I would love to know what the seven dollars is for?  I think (faily sure) that they are asking me to join without my permission a "club" for lack of a better term, in which case re-occuring charges will incur to my debit/credit card., monthly.  He also became irritated, (tone of voice) when I refused to give him my information.  And began insisting that my information would be deleted from his system as soon as the call was complete.  I ask him...."if I won this $100.00 dollars as you say, send it to me.... and I will call and activate it myself with out your help.  He said if I would not give him my information to "verify" who I am  then I was no longer elligable to receive it.  Beware!!!!   Its close to the holidays....  dont buy into this..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2013 08:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Smart-Shopper/Casa-Grande-Arizona-85122/American-Smart-Shopper-Patrick-Scam-to-create-reoccuring-charges-on-your-debitcredit-car-1092569. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Smart Shopper