Complaint Review: American Steel Span, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, April 15, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, April 15, 2011

• Reported By: M — Tendoy Idaho United States of America
American Steel Span, Inc.
3431 4th Ave S., Suite E, Fargo, North Dakota United States of America

American Steel Span, Inc. NOT ENGINEERED AND CAN'T GET A BUILDING PERMIT UNTIL MORE $$$$$$$$ to American Steel SPAN RIPOFF Fargo, North Dakota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Listening pays dividends

I am unable to get a local building permit unless I pay American Steel Span more $$$$.

I purchased an American Steel Span building (24 X 28) on 3/18/11. The deposit was $1700.  The "salesman", one Clark Foley, promised that the building would be shipped in two week.

While I was waiting, 5 weeks later (April 15th) and I'm still waiting, I contacted my local planning and zoning people regarding a building permit.  I was told that I needed a licensed engineer's stamp on the drawings.

Of course, I contacted American Steel Span, Aaron Coggins, with the unbelieveable title of "customer support specialist".  Aaron said that they have an "engineer" in Missouri that is licensed in all 50 states that will provide me (in Idaho) with an Idaho signed engineers stamp for the structure.  BUT, it will cost $925.

That's just for the structure.  The concrete is another story.  I also have to hire a "local engineer" to engineer the concrete footings/foundation.  Estimates for that piece are $600-$800.

GUESS WHAT!  I'm at another $1700 and still don't have the product I purchased.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but at this point I sharpened by pencil and did some calculations. GUESS WHAT!!  I'm better off telling them to shove their non-engineered building and get a local "reputaible" company to build a building over my horses heads.

I called American Steel Span and told the "customer support specialist" that I did not want their non-engineered product.  GUESS WHAT!  He wasn't even surprised, just happy that American Steel Span got my $1700.

Good thing it's April 15th or I might feel like I was REALLY getting ripped off!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2011 02:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Steel-Span-Inc/Fargo-North-Dakota-58103-2222/American-Steel-Span-Inc-NOT-ENGINEERED-AND-CANT-GET-A-BUILDING-PERMIT-UNTIL-MORE--718071. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Steel Span, Inc.

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Listening pays dividends

AUTHOR: Rick - ()

I worked for this company for years and never had even one complaint by a customer. That's because we were required to go over all that is entailed when purchasing a steel building. The owner didn't want any confusion on the part of customers...basically a drill-down technique that ensures only the people who understand the TOTAL investment are buying and, therefore, happy with their purchase. Clark Foley is much more articulate than most so I just cannot picture him not following the exact same company protocol. Did you do your homework in advance of your purchase or after with planning and zoning? Your story suggests that it was after. You would have known about the need for stamped engineered drawings if you had. I also assume that you didn't price out your concrete until after. I'm sure Clark sent you a schematic of your options for concrete applications. Something you could have used with a concrete company that would have given them the opportunity to price out their work properly. You also say Clark promised the building would ship within two weeks. Are you sure he didn't say in as little as two weeks? The corporate offices in Fargo have no control over shipping logistics so I can only assume you heard what you wanted to hear. Much more I could say but the point here is that you should have done your due diligence before buying a whole building Sir!