Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

• Submitted: Tue, January 22, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, January 22, 2013

• Reported By: kevin — North aurora Illinois U.S.A.
Ancestry.com
ancestry.com, Utah United States of America

Ancestry.com Rip-off: They keep billing your credit card ancestry.com, Utah

I purchased Family Tree Maker software - included in the software price was a **Free** on year subscription to Ancestry.com.  We had to call Ancestry.com to activate our free subscription and give them credit card information which I was told was the only way to activate it even though it was already paid for.   So far so good, I checked my credit card religiously fro a few months and no charge appeared.  Now note, I did not
sign up for an on-line subscription I purchased software which included a one year subscription in its purchase price.  The payment went to the Best Buy.  Anyways a year later Ancestry starts billing my credit card for 155, when I called they said this is how they do business and then told me I had to go though a series of steps to unsubscribe etc, etc.  Heck I do not even use the service, so I do not want to sign in and then tell me I am using it!   that is exactly what they want you to do, so they can say you used their service.

By the way, not only are they unethical, but the reality is their information is not very helpful.  We found
everything Ancestry had, in far better quality at FamilySearch.org and several local free genealogy sites that it appeared Ancestry mined data and photos from (given the deterioration in quality of the images.).

Fold3 has far better images as does HeritageQuest on line.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2013 02:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom/ancestrycom-Utah-/Ancestrycom-Rip-off-They-keep-billing-your-credit-card-ancestrycom-Utah-1001292. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com