Complaint Review: ancestry.com

ancestry.com
ancestry.com Internet United States of America

ancestry.com 2 week trial rip off Internet

*Consumer Comment: Ancestry.com

*UPDATE Employee: Fiction can be fun, but I prefer the facts......

*Consumer Comment: You should be expected to pay

I signed up for ancestry.com two week trial. When I went to cancel I was told I was late and would be billed for the year. This has now happened several times in my geneology class and we are all told to beware of billing. It doesn't seem ethical for ancestr.com to troll the internet for family information provided free and use it for their site and sell your information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/01/2012 11:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ancestrycom/internet/ancestrycom-2-week-trial-rip-off-Internet-816531. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ancestry.com

Ancestry.com

AUTHOR: Lorenzen - (U.S.A.)

To the OP, I understand how you feel, but you must really pay attention to the dates on those free trials, or, as you have discovered, you'll owe the full price. I'll offer you some free advice on searching out your family history, if you don't mind reading a bit, though you may have learned much of the following in your class ( at least I hope it was taught to you ).

I tried Ancestry.com during one of their 7-day Free Trials several years ago.  Not to disparage either their work, nor their info, but I quickly discovered that I had MANY more pieces of correct information, going back MANY years further than theirs, and I cancelled after the first day. This was due to the fact that I had done some leg work of my own in seeking out genealogical information at my local library.  And what I couldn't find locally, I was able to locate at other libraries as I followed my family's movements over the years since their arrival in the United States while our country was yet an English Colony.

By using various available FREE resources, such as the library, archives, cemetery and census records, etc., I have been able to research my family's history back to the year 1531 in Switzerland ( confirmed ), and have found a lot of non-confirmed information going back to the early 1300s, including one record ( as yet, unconfirmed ) of the family tree going back to 100 AD.  I have found that a little leg-work and the proper mindset of "don't believe everything you read" provide the best results, as there is so much inaccurate information out there, either deliberate, or just "enhanced" family stories that have been passed down through the years.

The "enhanced" stories are the worst.  For example, I was told by one of my grandmothers that I was descended from Daniel Boone, and by another that I was descended from Davy Crockett.  Of course, simply reading ANY biographical information found in an encyclopedia easily disproves both of these stories, yet both of my grandmothers firmly believed that their version of our family history was true.  Even so, there actually was a bit a truth to this, as I discovered through the census records, that my family was, indeed, neighbors of the Boone family some 200 years ago. Stories often change with time.  Yet, somewhere, you may find a grain of truth. Again, don't believe everything you read.  As the old adage goes:  Trust, but Verify.

Most libraries have a Genealogy Room, or at least a Genealogy Section, where you can find copies of the US Census dating back to 1790.  Additionally, you can normally find family history books, muster rolls of the Armed Services, area history, immigration rosters, church and cemetery records, family bible records, etc., etc.  Also, a quick trip to the Register of Deeds office will provide you with, not only land and property deeds, but birth records, marriage certificates and death certificates. You may also want to check the Family History Room at your local LDS Church.  They have some really excellent records on microfilm from all over the country.

Another great resource is your State Archives, where copies, or even the originals, of various documents, censuses, Last Will and Testaments, land records, etc. are kept for reference.  For example, in one of my visits to the State Archives, I held in my hands the ORIGINAL Last Will and Testament of my great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather who came to the United States, with his wife and 13 children, from Switzerland 300 years ago.  Unbelievable !!

However, if you prefer, you can purchase online quite a bit of information on CD-ROMs, such as census records, family and area histories and immigration rosters.  And, believe it or not, there is even a lot of FREE info online.  Cyndi's List is a good example of a free genealogy site, and it links to a great many others, as well.  But, in my opinion, there's really nothing like doing the detective work yourself.  May you have the best of fortunes in locating your family's history,

Fiction can be fun, but I prefer the facts......

AUTHOR: BigMeanie - (United States of America)

I was employed at Ancestry.com for over 3 years, and still use their service today! There is not one time I can recall ever telling a customer that called in within a reasonable amount of time saying they forgot to cancel their 14-day trial, that was not issued a refund. It's understood that sometimes people forget, and we were willing to work with them as long as it was within a reasonable amount of time when they called, (sometimes upwards of a month as they might have just received their credit card statement), even though the Terms & Conditions state that a refund will not be issued after the first 7 days.

Don't come on here and make false statements about things, making it seem like you had not even been billed yet when you "went to cancel" and was "told you were late and would be billed for the year". If you had not been billed yet, it would have been cancelled immediately!

The more likely scenario is you probably were billed, and continued to use the service for awhile, then tried to claim that "you forgot" to cancel your trial... We could see how many times you logged onto the site and used the service.

As far as your "troll" comment, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The records on Ancestry.com are provided by the National Archives, county and state agencies, churches, and different compilations that are put together by data compilation companies, and genealogical societies all over the country, etc.

I would recommend you take up a spelling class instead and learn to spell the word "geneology"!

You should be expected to pay

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"It doesn't seem ethical for ancestr.com to troll the internet for family information provided free and use it for their site and sell your information."

If the information is free then why don't you spend your time and resources to gather it yourself? Why should someone else do that for you at no charge?

Ancestry.com collects information provided by members and from DNA tests. They also gather information from census, immigration, emigration, birth, death, marriage and war records; many of which are not available digitally and therefore are not online. Much of that information is free but there is an expense involved in collecting and processing it.