helps

• Updated: Fri, September 25, 2009

• Reported By: phrustrated — Other USA
ancestry.com
www.ancestry.com Internet United States of America

ancestry.com Big money from subscribers, little or no effort to fix issues, Internet

I have been a subscriber of Ancestry.com for many years, and I feel it is time for their monopoly on genealogical info to be squashed.  I have not once received positive action on an issue I have reported.  The same issues/problems I was reporting to their online and phone line Customer Support (a misnomer) a full year ago are still malfunctioning, still not addressed.

I have seen a marked increase in their advertising, online, on tv, in publications; and yet they are unable to handle effectively the current customer base.  That, to me, is absolutely irresponsible!  Customer requests for refunds when the site isn't functioning are always denied, again - absolutely irresponsible.

The flash-type advertising for other companies on many pages just slows down the loading of the information for which I pay handsomely.  I expect to see wads of ads on free websites.  I do not expect that annoyance on a paid website, especially when it slows my progress.

On my own pc, I am alerted if I attempt to save two files with the exact same name and information.  Ancestry.com will allow you to enter duplicate information all day long without so much as a beep.  Family trees load up on top of one another so that half the information is not even legible.  After looking at a census page, hitting the back button just reloads the same page.  One has to hit the back button over and over and over to back out - this is not difficult to fix. I could list a dozen other annoyances, just look at the archives on http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/

Many of the issues about which we all complain are easy to fix, but nothing happens.  There should be some way we can all unite and cancel subscriptions en masse so that Ancestry has no choice but to take action or lose substantial income.  I have tried other sites and not found all the info I can get on Ancestry, so it is frustrating to feel I have no choice but to tolerate this.  My one cancellation will not do much to them, but it will cause me to re-enter many years of work somewhere else.

They have the attitude of Ma Bell years ago, "We don't care. We're the phone company. We don't have to."  Any suggestions??

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2009 11:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ancestrycom/internet/ancestrycom-Big-money-from-subscribers-little-or-no-effort-to-fix-issues-Internet-500407. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ancestry.com