Complaint Review: Andersonville Theological Seminary

Andersonville Theological Seminary degree mill Camilla, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Andersonville Theological Seminary great school and value

*Consumer Comment: Andersonville Theological Seminary is a Great School

*Consumer Comment: Accreditation

*General Comment: Andersonville Theological Seminary offers a high quality education to those interested in Christian Ministry

I signed up for a Bachelor of Theology and a Master of Divinity through Andersonville Theological Seminary a little over a year ago. I was given a discount if I paid for both degrees upfront. I paid $850.00 for the Bachelor and $1,925.00 for the Masters all completed through distance. I have been working on the Bachelors since which is an extremely lacking program and have not even started the Masters program. As time has elapsed I have done quite a bit of research on these programs. The accreditation's that they are advertising are useless and not accepted at most seminaries. To transfer credits you have to hope that the seminary your wanting to attend will accept you on a case by case basis. If they do you have so many courses and credits to make up that its almost impossible to finish any degree program. I contacted the school asking for a refund on the money for the Master degree which I have not started. I was told that no one would give a refund after a year. I explained that I had not started the Masters and did not intend to do so. I also explained the difficulty of the lack of accreditation's and lack of course work to get into another seminary. I was e-mailed and told that I should have done my research before entering their school. I responded by saying that your staff should be sharing more information than they are doing. I don't believe they should be able to keep $1,925.00 for a degree that I haven't even started. This school being an unaccredited institution pretty much gives them the authority to do what they want. It is an Independent Baptist School which it doesn't share on the website- it just says Baptist.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/13/2012 12:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Andersonville-Theological-Seminary/Camilla-Georgia-31730/Andersonville-Theological-Seminary-degree-mill-Camilla-Georgia-940690. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Andersonville Theological Seminary

Andersonville Theological Seminary great school and value

AUTHOR: Pastor Byron - (USA)

I am a current student with Andersonville Theological Seminary (ATS). I have been working on my Th.D in Pastoral Theology for the past six months. I already have a Masters in Ministry from another Seminary which was four times more expensive than ATS. After much research I chose ATS to pursue my Doctorate based upon their excellent doctrinal statement and reasonable tuition costs.

As far as credits not being transferrable without approval, that is typical of any educational institution that is not regionally accredited. ATS accreditation information is posted clearly on their website.

I can say without a doubt that ATS is not a diploma mill as has been suggested. The curriculum is very indepth and the lecture DVD's contain excellent teaching on the Bible. The course work is very challenging and doctrinally sound. They are very quick to check courses that have been turned in and always provide a mailed copy of the grades. I couldn't be happier with my decision to obtain my Th.D through Andersonville Theological Seminary.

Andersonville Theological Seminary is a Great School

AUTHOR: Dr. Jack - ()

To those of you who say that Andersonville Theological Seminary is not a legitimate school are either not doing the course the way its designed or are just dishonest or BOTH. I read one report that called this school a diploma mill. Do you know what a Diploma Mill is? For those of you that don't know its where you pay x-amount of dollars for a masters or doctors degree without doing the work.

I am a former police and a current minister with a doctorate of divinity and numerous other certification that are beyond your pay grade; such as a Certified Trauma (such as PTSD) and Trauma Stress Counselor, plus over 20 years in the ministry. I have pioneered 3 Bible Schools and 4 churches and I am a recognized counsel for drug and alcohol treatment in which I was awarded a Congressional Citation from our U.S. Congress for our program.

I am a current student with Andersonville Theological Seminary working on my Doctorate of Theology Degree. I have a Masters of Theology currently. This is one of the best schools that I have attended in my 20 years of attending college. In any course what you would get in a 45 minute lecture in a classroom setting is about 1/3 of what Andersonville gives their students. The classes are very informative, motivating and inspirational. For one CD of Andersonville's classes I typed 25 single spaced pages in 11pt type.

I would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone who is serious about ministering the love of God to hurting people.

Those of you who bash this fine institution are giving some dishonest person the ammunition to disqualify a sincere minister of the Gospel. Think before you speak...

Accreditation

AUTHOR: Willy - ()

I'm not a student of Andersonville Theological Seminary (ATS), but I've done research on it and other schools using the same independent accreditation agencies. I agree Andersonville isn't accredited as far as the Federal Government (U.S. Dept of Education) is concerned - they are accredited by two independant agencies - but I'll also say this...

Just because a religious school is not recognized as accredited by the US Dept of Education doesn't make it an illegitimate school (and it certainly doesn't make it a diploma mill). And just because an accreditation agency isn't recognized by the US Dept of Education doesn't make it illegitimate either. ATS appears to be a reasonably good independently accredited religious school, and the agencies they're accredited by seem to be reputable independant accreditation bodies (as evidenced by quality schools in their membership listings).

As noted in another rebuttal, Bible Schools and Seminaries don't necessarily need to be accredited in regards to the Federal Government, but if that's what a person is looking for and needs for their career purposes, they need to be sure the school is federally accredited before they enroll. I do agree that ATS should be willing to consider providing some amount of refund with the return of any materials provided, but I also agree that a year is a very long time to wait to ask for a refund from any school, anywhere (federal or independant accreditation, not withstanding).

#4 General Comment

AUTHOR: Donald - ()

I have been a student at Andersonville since January 2012. They have been very professional and offer a quality education to those interested in the field of Christian Ministry. They have a strong stance with the seperation of church and state and that's the main reason they don't seek governmental accreditation. I have been a Christian Counselor two years with a mainstream denomination (the United Methodist Church) they glady accepted my degree from ATS and several other co-workers are currently working to obtain their degrees in Christian Counseling also. Private Christian Schools, Universites and Seminaries are not required to seek governmental accreditation like public/state schools because of seperation of church and state. I've had very positive experiences with Andersonville Theological Seminary.