Complaint Review: Aptora

• Reported By: Scott — Marshville North Carolina
Aptora
8877 Bourgade Lenexa, Kansas USA

Aptora Total Office Manager BEWARE! Lenexa Kansas

*Consumer Comment: Invest in Training!

*Consumer Comment: Happy with Aptora

*Consumer Comment: Works Great!

*Author of original report: Buyers Remorse? You Bet!!!!

*Consumer Comment: Works fine for us!

We purchased Total Office Manager in May, 2013. After discusing my concern with salesman "Bernie" about converting to this new software right before our summer season, it was mutually agreed that we should wait until after our busy summer season to switch over. During our conversation, he said that our support wouldnt actually start until we went live with the software. What he didnt make clear was the little statement on the bottom of the invoice that gives you a mere 30 days from invoice to return the product for a refund. Since we didn't actually install the program until August and the invoice was dated May, our 30 days from invoice date was up. We didnt even get to try it out before our 30 days were up. What i should have done right then was ask for my money back and offer to repurchase later in the year when we slowed down a bit.

It took approximately 1 week for our quickbooks migration to be completed. My staff spent several hours watching the tutorials. My office staff spent 1/2 hour on online training and another 2+ weeks using the system and a number of calls to tech support ( by the way, if you are like us and want immediate responses, you will not get it here. You have to call and leave a message and wait for someone to call you back which in most cases is hours later) We have used Quickbooks for the past 15+ years. This software appears to be similar to quickbooks but in our opinion is not even close to being as good based on user friendliness. We found that it would take multiple clicks to do some tasks in this new software where it only took one in quickbooks. In my opinion, we just wasted thousands of dollars. The other reviewers are right, everything has an extra cost associated with it ( Such as: I was told that my existing flat rate software would integrate with their Flat Rate Plus software ) and it can be, for an extra charge that was not mentioned when they were selling me on the program.

We used the system for less than 3 weeks when my office staff begged me to find something else as they were almost in tears over this new software. I sent an email asking for a partial refund because i know they incurred cost in getting us to this point. Not a full refund, i only requested 1/2 the amount be refunded. How much fairer could that be?

I was told by the president of the company via email that their policy was 30 days from invoice and they would not change it. I presume because of this very reason. It takes almost 30 days to get the system up and running because you have to schedule a date to do the data migration which took more than a week off the time to get it in their schedule and another week to do the actual data migration. Now you would be left with less than 10 working days to use the program and decide whether or not you like the software. This is not nearly enough time in my opinion.

In the last email i received from the owner, Mr. Leichter stated and I qoute "I hope you will avoid exposing yourself to defamation". This is after i suggested that the product would not get a favorable review from me. I made a huge mistake. I hope others will do more research before finding themselves in the same position.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/18/2013 08:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aptora/Lenexa-Kansas-66219/Aptora-Total-Office-Manager-BEWARE-Lenexa-Kansas-1092834. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aptora

Invest in Training!

AUTHOR: Aboutwell1012 - ()

Our company employs over 100 people, and around 17-20 of them are daily, all-day-long users located in four geographic locations.  When our company purchased Total Office Manager over a year ago we were told that all locations would work out of a single database, and to accomplish this, each user needed to become familiar with this product by watching You Tube video trainings. Most of our users come from a QuickBooks background, so these instructional videos were simply not enough information.  We needed more in-depth instruction that would help our individual businesses adapt to this new software.  The videos are generic in nature for a reason - they allow new users the opportunity to learn very basic data entry information.  If you need to know more than just how to enter a work order or vendor bill or time sheet record, you absolutely must invest in training of some kind (telephone or in-person).

What a difference training made!!  Our users stopped complaining about how "awful" or "difficult" this system is, and they started to appreciate all of its capabilities!  The biggest hurdle we had was change in and of itself.  When users are reluctant to change, their attitude has already invaded the process, and what happens is that users bash the software company instead of investing time and money into learning how the system works and what its capabilities are.  You wouldn't hire a new service technician without investing time and money into teaching him how you want him to do the job, so why would you not invest in training for new software?  In my opinion, it sounds like this is a case of buyer's remorse and nothing more.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this software, its functionality, or the staff.

Speaking of the staff, you mentioned that you have experienced terrible response time.  I must say I have experienced the exact opposite!  The only time I have ever experienced a lag in response was when I called just before or during their lunch hour.  Otherwise, their response time was within just a few minutes --- on average less than 15 minutes.  Everyone there has been pleasant and accommodating, helpful and insightful.

I would highly recommend that you give this software another try - after you have invested in and spent time training with their trainers!  I firmly believe you and your staff's attitudes will change dramatically.

Happy with Aptora

AUTHOR: Paul with Samm's Heating and Air Conditioning - ()

First I want to say we are very happy with the Total Office Management Software by Aptora and Aptora.

We are a service business with 12 employees. Making a change from QB, a program that everybody was comfortable with was a concern on my part when considering purchasing the software and value vs. cost.

Made the decision in the summer so we also purchased in our busy season (August) and received all software as discussed with our sales rep. I read all the information when it arrived and I did see the 30 money back guarantee from date of invoice (clearly on the invoice). So I had two options; Option 1- return and wait until my busy season was over and re-purchase in the fall so I could "test drive" the product and know in a few weeks if there were issues, difficulties, not as advertised, and push back from my employees. Option 2 (my decision) not Aptora’ s was keep the product and move forward in November (which I did.)

Here is our results to date. We have seen huge benefits in the software definitely being designed for the service industry. Allowing many "short cuts" over what QB could handle. Example; accountant enters multi line items for a credit card charge and realizes it was the wrong card. In QB you would have to re-enter the bill (frustrating) in Aptora just open the bill and toggle the correct account-Done! Many fail safes regarding notes on customers regarding future recommendations so the dispatcher will see anytime the customer is opened in the program. A comprehensive system to maintain service agreements. Scheduling and Accounting in one program. When entering a customer there is no need to enter the city and state-why? because the software only needs the zip code to populate that data in the customer fields. I could go on here but you get the point.

We have not even started our live training and 4 office employees including myself all concur that the program is great and exciting to know how much industry friendly the software is. We cannot wait to implement the Aptora Mobile.

Scott, I read your complaint and will respectfully disagree with you. I have a hard time when customers complain about a company and blame the company when the information was not hidden, buried or missing. It was clear for me and it was my decision to proceed, just as it was yours. The fact that you didn't see the fully refundable return is not Aptora’ s fault. As far as employees crying-how many changes have you implemented and received with cheers? Most people take time to embrace change.

Bottom line is I would confidently refer this company/software-very happy with it!

Works Great!

AUTHOR: Matthew - ()

After reading the main post and the rebuttal i have also came to the conclusion that it is buyers remorse. One the customer waited to long on time of purchase to install and try out thats no ones fault but their own. Second sounds more like a dont fix it unless its broken. Not true Aptora has been a great to us here at Genes Refrigeration.

We are a company that has been in buisness for 54 years and I am the 3rd generation into it. We have been using Aptora T.O.M. (Total Office Manager) for roughly 8-10 years. We also came from quick books. The Transition was easy but you need training. We had Mr. Leichter come out and give us training. This was a great deal. This program cannot be learned in a 1/2 hour online training class in that case neither can Quick Books.

We use T.O.M. for our entire company we have 17 desktop 5 laptops and we also use it on tablets for our techs, we have 8 techs. The program has made our company grow and become more managable in programming, Accounts Payable, Accounts receivable, Invoicing, Assets, Inventory etc. I can keep listing the things that make Aptora great to us but it defeats the purpose.

The point is that the company/buisness using Aptora needs the true training from Aptora. Its not an online class or a few hours. Its days. I spent a total of 2 weeks face to face with James and he is a excellent person and teacher. He went the extra mile to explain everything that we could throw at him no matter how small or big. He would answer it promptly. He would also make sure that we understood it showing us as many times as needed. Believe me i had alot of silly questions.

Training Training Training is a must! Do this and Aptora will help you grow and grow with you as they have with us!

Buyers Remorse? You Bet!!!!

AUTHOR: Scott - ()

This post got it right in the first paragraph. I certainly do have BUYERS REMORSE. In my opinion, the product is not worth a fraction of what they charge. Matter of fact, i would not use it if it were given to me. WAIT, I paid thousands of dollars for it and i still do not use it. That should tell you all you need to know.

Works fine for us!

AUTHOR: Joe the Plumber - ()

The previous report was brought to my attention by one of my employees since we use the software program he is talking about. After reading this report, I have to say it just sounds like “Buyers Remorse” or something like that.  We’ve been using the program for the last fre years, and it has been a godsend! But it wasn’t that way at first. We had been using quickbooks for over twenty years. We needed something better, wnd we discovered Total Office Manager.  It could do all our dispatching, our on-site equipment, excellent inventory management.  It could even keep up with which employees were trained to do what.

But it started out as a nightmare. My office staff griped and moaned and wanted their pretty little quickbooks back.  My field service personnel, on the other hand, were elated!  Quickbooks is a nice little generic program, and if you happen to be in the generic business, then it is great. I have a plumbing business to run, and time is money. I need to have a well-planned day, with all my equipment on the correct jobsite, and with the men with the right knowledge and experience doing the right jobs. As for my office staff?  I ended up having to fire one of them – not because of the software, --- but amazingly, after she was gone, the other two ladies seemed to quit bitching about “change” and moved on to bitching about other things. Everything back to normal.  The replacement I did hire also knew accounting.  My old gal was self-taught, and really didn’t have a grasp on fundamental accounting principles like I thought she did.  Bringing someone in with actual accounting experience made a huge difference in my overall business, but she was delighted with the quality of the Total Office Manager program.  For us, it took making a commitment to change, and then stepping up to the challenge.  Sounds like the other poster let his people run his business and take a step back instead of a step up.

The other guy seemed to be caught up in the 30-day return time limit.  Well, what period would you like to have? Sounds like he didn’t take the time to fully evaluate the produce BEFORE making the purchase, and then didn’t take the time to understand that TOM is a substantially more sophisticated program than QuickBooks.  If you don’t want to learn something new, then change is something that would not work well for you.  And if you insist that your new accounting software be the same as quickbooks, then you’re out of luck. If they loved quickbooks, then why did they want to change in the first place?

Our support relationship has been fine with the company. I have no complaints.  As “technical support” for my own company, I have to admit that I often get calls from customers while I am on the phone with another, and I have to call them back.  Sometimes I am just too engaged in an important project to be distracted.  In either case I have to call them back.  I don’t know how to handle that any other way, since there is just one of me.  I don’t know how large their staff is, but if they had to have enough staff to answer each call that would really jump our support fees.  But when we have had to wait for a return call, the support tech has been knowledgeable, courteous, and has had the correct answer for us.  I am as pleased with their support staff as any other company we deal with.

I do agree with the other guy when he says that Total Office Manger sometimes takes more key strokes to get something done than quickbooks.  But most things are about equal.  Some things are fewer.  But it makes sense that when you are using a substantially more sophisticated program, you might have to be a little more sophisticated yourself!  The fact is, there are so many features in this program, that I’ll bet we’re not using half of what it CAN do.

I really didn’t mean to go on like this, but this website seems to be dedicated to the negative, and I think this case is a bum wrap!  Total Office Manager software for us has been an extremely positive move for running my business.  But I would say this to anyone contemplating using it. Get the training!  That was the most cost-effective decision I made.  We fumbled around with it ourselves for a few months, but when we got the training (and realized my “experienced” bookkeeper of 10-years didn’t know what she was doing) everything seemed to fall into place.  The business flow started to make sense, because it was logical and then everyone understood it.  Nothing like the hammering away that we taught ourself.  We decided initially to save the money by relying on the help system (which is great! By the way), but there is just nothing like having an experienced teacher sit down with you and show you what you need to know.  Everytime we have bought a sophisticated piece of machinery, I have taken the time to bet training.  I don’t know why the most sophisticated piece of business “equipment” in the office would be any different!  Accounting is the most sophisticated and complex system in your business.  Get the training!

So, to close this rant, I would say to the other guy (or anyone buying this program)  1) make a commitment to make it work.  It works just fine for others like me. 2) spend the money to get training and understand how to make it work efficiently and 3) make a commitment –oh I already said that. But making a commitment is half the battle.