Complaint Review: APUS

APUS
111 West Congress Street, Charles Town,, West Virginia USA

APUS AMU APUS IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF Charles Town, West Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Lack of Responsibility

I  transfered to APUS with 174 credits. I emailed them before hand explaining my credits and asking what I needed to do to finish a bachelors and go on for Masters. I paid to have my transcripts sent from my previous college.  I was sent an email back from APUS stating that they recieved the transcripts and I would be entered into the Masters program. I thought since I had so many credits , more than enough for a bachelors , that they were just overlooking the ONLY 3 courses that I needed for that degree and they knew what they were doing since this is their  line of business.

After five weeks into the Masters program, I get an email asking me for my conferment date for my bachelors. I explain that there was none since I was attending here and they held the transcripts. I went back and forth with them  for many days and finally was told I would be dropped from that program and could enter the bachelors. I agreed. I went to register and was told that I could not do so until I paid them 7,799 dollars. I told them, that I did not owe them a dime. I owed the federal government and I was disbursed  5,000 dollars, not 7,999 dollars and that it was their error not mine. I am a student, I do not have the knowledge of financial aid , that is their job. I am also on a disability and if I had that kind of money laying around, I wouldn't be applying for student loans. I also owe 49, 000 in student loans and still no degree.

I filed a grievance with that  school and heard nothing. I have recently contacted the Omnibudsman for FSFA but it will take around 10 days before I hear from them.

I have tried to get back to my original college and they allowed me but need a transcript from APUS , of course APUS will not give it and my college said they simply can do nothing until they get the transcript. I have explain, that there were no grades. I sent them then the unofficial transcripts but that was not enough for them.  SO here I am in a huge debt , needing only 3 classes for that degree and can't get any help what so ever.

To top that off, there is a 180 credit limit on obtaining that bachelors and I am dangerously close to that limit so I can't attend any college , since they will not give you over 90 or 91 credits for my courses.  This is iritating and unjust. We are told all of our lives to educate ourself for a better future. How can we have a future is the very colleges we look to our out to screw us and they do and there is no one to help the students.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2013 01:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/APUS/Charles-Town-West-Virginia-25414/APUS-AMU-APUS-IS-A-COMPLETE-RIP-OFF-Charles-Town-West-Virginia-1092666. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on APUS

Lack of Responsibility

AUTHOR: Justin - ()

It is unfortunate that you are in this scenario; however, having taken that many college courses, we shall assume you are fairly educated.  You made an assumption that because you had “enough” college credits, an institution would just award you a degree.  All colleges that are accredited, such as APUS/AMU, are required to maintain transfer credit standards that prevent students from degree hopping. APUS/AMU will not just automatically award you a bachelor’s degree because you have enough credits.  Additionally, you should have known that you could not start a master’s degree without an official conferral from an undergraduate institution.  Lastly, you seem to have been quick to take that disbursement from student loans and not apply to furthering your education; thus, leading anyone to believe you are going to school only to collect for student loans.

You need to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming academic instructions who do not need to hold your hand – having taken nearly 180 college credit hours.