Complaint Review: Aquatic Sports

• Updated: Thu, May 15, 2014

• Reported By: Stephen — Portland Oregon
Aquatic Sports
10803 Barbur Boulevard Portland, Oregon USA

Aquatic Sports Rebreather Failure, Not Qualified to Teach, Could Have Drowned Portland Oregon

*Author of original report: the information posted is not correct. please disregard post. post was not written by author.

*Author of original report: resolved

I signed up for the new SSI program to learn how to use a rebreather because I wanted to go deeper and stay longer. I have a little bit of technical diving experience, so I thought it would be relatively easy as an introductory student. It turns out that the instructor, who is also the owner, did a two day training to teach students how to use the Poseidon rebreather. After this experience, I did a little research and it turns out that his instruction should have been over 100 hours.  It was flabergasted!

The day I was going to do the required six dives, it turns out that he was teaching a regular scuba class, a dry suit class, a rescue diving class and my rebreather class.  At first I thought that another instructor was going to show up to help, the way he was talking, but no one ever came to assist. I did one dive and at that point he told me I would be on my own. I started out with the rest of the other students and the d**n thing broke. I had to switch to my bailout system and end the dive. I was so mad that I just went home.

I spoke to a friend who used to go to Aquatic Sports and he told me that when that system first came to Aquatic Sports, someone choked on a mouthful of water in the pool. When they went to Clear Lake to try out the system on a demo day, another one of the units failed and the diver barely made it back to the surface. It turns out that there was suppose to be a safety person in a boat on the surface, but she had to take a piss so she left all the divers in the water by themselves! None of them had bailout systems either. Years earlier, one of their instructors had a failure on the store's rebreathers and he has never dove rebreathers again, too. Just because this guy has been in business for a long time, don't let that persuade you to go there to learn how to do anything. I spent almost $1,000 and I got nothing! I'm probably going to go to somewhere else to finish up my education after I cool off and get my diving legs back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2014 05:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aquatic-Sports/Portland-Oregon-97219/Aquatic-Sports-Rebreather-Failure-Not-Qualified-to-Teach-Could-Have-Drowned-Portland-Ore-1133312. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aquatic Sports

AUTHOR: Ripoff Report - ()

resolved