Complaint Review: ARA Collections Scam

• Submitted: Tue, April 07, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, April 07, 2009

• Reported By:North Richland Hills Texas
ARA Collections Scam
P.ob 4009 Schaumburg, Illinois U.S.A.

ARA Samuel Wiser Ext.3460ARA Collections Scam ARA reincarnating dead (supposed)debt from over 12 years ago? Schaumburg Illinois

*Consumer Comment: This could be a scam

*Consumer Suggestion: You need to know some things...

*Consumer Suggestion: S.O.L

I literally just got off of the phone with one of their representatives, as I type this, and they are just as nice as can be.
Unfortunately, the time period that they are pursuing me for, I dealt with a cash only basis, and don't believe in financing anyway.

The company that they say the debt originated from is not able to be found online anywhere, and is, according to the ARA rep "No longer in business, so now you must pay us accrued interests from their account."
And apparently I'm also being threatened with a court summons to a place over 2,000 miles from where I've been living. And they apparently are thorough on their backtrails as they hit every address I've had in over 12 years.

According to them, in January they started mailing to addresses that I haven't lived in a decade.
They provided me with my social, my ex wife's social and information, and informed me that I was a co-signer on a large vehicle purchase in 1997.

They are threatening wage garnishment, seizure of assets, and all other legal recourse if I do not comply immediately and pay them $4700 this week.
I'm not a big one on extortion, strong arm tactics, or anything else that deprives my kids, especially for a collection letter from a company that I've never heard of ,on a purchase that I would not have been likely to make, or since I would not have been a co-signer for anyone, would I buy that route either.

So, how do we go about shutting down their scams and harrassments?
I'm sure there a ton of others in the same situation that would also like some form of reassurance. Feels like another scam to me, although their website is decent.
http://www.arainc.us/html/contact_us.html is their website link, as it's not available below.

North Richland Hills, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2009 04:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ARA-Collections-Scam/Schaumburg-Illinois-60168/ARA-Samuel-Wiser-Ext3460ARA-Collections-Scam-ARA-reincarnating-dead-supposeddebt-from-441631. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ARA Collections Scam

This could be a scam

AUTHOR: Steph - (U.S.A.)

I would not give them any imformation. This could be a scam to get some imformation like bank account #s They also cannot touch your wages. I would also refuse to tell them were I work at also

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You need to know some things...

AUTHOR: ReactorCore - (Canada)

One of the first things that you need to know is that if the alleged "debt" is 12 years old, it fails under the Fair Debt Collection Act (FDCA). The FDCA states that debts may only be pursued up to 6 years after they are due. Make them aware that they are pursuing a debt of over 12 years.

Next, I would ask for ironclad proof that the company that has issued the collection of debt has, in fact, gone out of business. That they are not available to view on the web is NOT an excuse. The part that sounds fishy to me, is that if the original company is out of business, why aren't they recouping their losses via their bankruptcy trustees?

Anyway, they are breaking laws under the FCDA according to your post... They CANNOT tell you that your wages will be garnished. They CANNOT tell you that they will repo your possessions. Please be sure and let them know that you know this information. They are not agents of the creditor to these ends (they are 3rd party collectors), and such actions take LEGAL process, not just their say so. Once the debt terrorists know that you know your RIGHTS under the FDCA, they should become more amicable to doing business on your terms, should you want to pay through them. However, you CAN tell them that you will only deal with the original creditor on the issue, and if they are out of business/declared bankruptcy or the like, it's just an indicator of the collectors wanting to cash in before everything goes toes-up.

You have RIGHTS.... Exercise them.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Tmm33 - (U.S.A.)

From what I understand this is an old debt , which means they are out of statutes of limitations. Do not give them anything because if you do it will reset the timer. Send them a certified letter telling them you want to see what it due. They can't contact you again for 30 days. Although I am told they can still sue you but their statutes have run out. Maybe file a counter suit against them if they decide to sue. But keep all logs whenever they call ect. If you did not co-sign for anyone then your in the clear and most likely its a leach trying to take money. I also did a search for A.R.A and found nothing on them. Except a international number. Go figure. Anyway your defense is it is out of S.O.L. The case will be thrown out from what I understand.

Good luck to you.