Complaint Review: Arab Electric Cooperative

• Updated: Tue, July 05, 2011

• Reported By: Unhappy Arab Resident — Arab Alabama United States of America
Arab Electric Cooperative
770 S. Brindlee Mtn. Pkwy. Arab, Alabama United States of America

Arab Electric Cooperative Ground Wire is not Negligence on Arab's part! Arab, Alabama

*Consumer Comment: Shotguns and Transformers

*Consumer Comment: Don't give up yet.

I have now lived in Arab for 7 years now and I can't begin to tell you how many people I have heard complain about Arab Electric Cooperative. With the exception of having outrageous electric bills, my real problem started with them about 2 years ago.

My husband and I were sitting in our living room watching t.v. when our lights got extremely bright and our ceiling fans looked like they were going to fly off our ceiling! We immediately shut off the main power to our house and I then called the Arab Cooperatives emergency number, because this was only affecting my home and my 2 neighbors on either side of me, and this is where the real problems with them started.

When I called it was already around 9 p.m. and the man that I finally got ahold of was very rude asking me if I was sure that it couldn't wait till tomorrow?, I obviously told him no and after basically having to argue with him he said that he would send someone out to check it.

The crew arrived about an hour later and the first thing they did was check my meter to make sure it wasn't bad (even though my neighbors were also having the same problem), and of course my meter was fine. They then found that the problem was a faulty ground wire that was attached to the transformer was causing our electric to come straight through to my home. After they fixed the problem, they had me check to be sure everything inside my home was okay, and that's when I found out that do to the huge surge, our brand new t.v. and computer along with the surge protectors they had been on were all fried! The guys told me to file a claim with the cooperative and that their insurance should cover it since it wasn't due to the wiring in my home.

The next day I called them and filed my claim and then the waiting began, it took almost 2 months for them to get back to me! They told me that the insurance company denied the claim because it wasn't considered negligence on the part of Arab Electric Cooperative. Well then, whose negligence was it? Am I supposed to be the one to go out to the pole and make sure that the ground wire is connected to the transformer? I always thought that part of their job was to periodically check things like this, but I guess I was wrong! It makes me wonder what would have happened if I wasn't at home? Would my house have burned down? I guess if it would have that wouldn't have been due to negligence on their part either!

I have thought about suing over this'll but that would cost way more than the price of my t.v. and computer, and I don't have the money to do it. I just want to warn people that if you get your electricity from Arab Electric Cooperative, maybe you need to start checking your own lines, because they sure aren't going to make sure that the lines are safe!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/05/2011 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Arab-Electric-Cooperative/Arab-Alabama-35016/Arab-Electric-Cooperative-Ground-Wire-is-not-Negligence-on-Arabs-part-Arab-Alabama-749204. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Arab Electric Cooperative

Shotguns and Transformers

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Are an exciting combination!

Don't give up yet.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

They told me that the insurance company denied the claim because it wasn't considered negligence on the part of Arab Electric Cooperative."

This is probably true.  I'll bet that the cooperative has liability insurance to cover them in case of negligence.   Just because their insurance company has denied the claim, doesn't mean that the cooperative is not responsible.   Just because the ground wire became disconnected, you can't automatically assume negligence, but that doesn't absolve them of responsibility.

I have thought about suing over this'll but that would cost way more than the price of my t.v. and computer, and I don't have the money to do it. "

If you think you can prove your case, you should file in small claims court.  No attorney is required and the filing fee is usually $50 or less, paid by the defendant if you win.   You don't have to be rich to have access to a court, but you do have to be able to substantiate your claims.

Good luck!