Complaint Review: Armbrust Real Estate Institute d/b/a AREI Colorado

• Updated: Sun, October 06, 2013

• Reported By: Unhappy Customer — boulder Colorado
Armbrust Real Estate Institute d/b/a AREI Colorado
7100 East Belleview Avenue # 311 Greenwood Village, Colorado USA

Armbrust Real Estate Institute d/b/a AREI Colorado Armbrust Real Estate Institute Colorado, Patrick Armbrust, AREI Real estate licensing, Real estate license Greenwood Village Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Armbrust The Best!

*Author of original report: I retract my statements, Armbrust is good school

*General Comment: AREI

*Consumer Comment: Totally disagree!

*Consumer Comment: The Complaint is not Supported by the Record

*General Comment: Couldn't disagree more

I signed up with Armbrust  Real Estate Institute (AREI) to get my Colorado Real Estate License because they had the highest pass rate on the state exam. Only after sinking $1,000.00 into the course and wasting months of my life did I realize why they had the highest score on the exam.

In order to pass the pre-licensing course and get the REC 33 certificate you need to take the real exam, you have to pass the AREI practice exam. I am a college graduate of the University of Colorado and have done graduate study so I am pretty smart and a good test taker. So, when I failed the first practice exam by like 3 points I was pretty upset. However, I thought maybe I just needed to study a little harder and I would pass the second time. A few weeks later I again failed the exam by like 2 points.

I have come to realize that, based on my subjective observations, less than half of the people that go through the AREI class pass their practice exams and therefore are even able to take the real exam. AREI makes the test unreasonably difficult and nearly impossible to pass. After thinking about why this was I could only come to the conclusion that it is a result of Patrick Armbrust’s greed.

You see, Patrick makes money by charging students $399 to take the class for a second time plus $30/hour for tutoring. So, it is to Patrick’s financial benefit, as owner of AREI, to fail as many students as possible so that he can collect another $399 plus tutoring fees. As a fringe benefit of his financial scheme, his high pass rates due to weeding so many people out make his school look like it is the best when judged by pass rate.

So, obviously I recommend you stay away from AREI. Patrick is a scam artist who doesn’t care about your success, only your money. Consider yourself warned.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2013 09:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Armbrust-Real-Estate-Institute-dba-AREI-Colorado/Greenwood-Village-Colorado-80111/Armbrust-Real-Estate-Institute-dba-AREI-Colorado-Armbrust-Real-Estate-Institute-Colorad-1089842. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Armbrust Real Estate Institute d/b/a AREI Colorado

Armbrust The Best!

AUTHOR: Jean - ()

Years ago I owned one of the largest independently owned real estate companies in the Denver metro area. At that time one of my main objectives was to hire new agents. I loved the agents  that had been students of the  Armbrust school. They came out of that school with more knowledge than the normal.  Mr Armbrust is an outstanding member of the Denver Real Estate community. I suggest the gentleman who filed the original report here take a look at himself. It's very obvious to me that he couldn't take the rejection of failing a test. It also seems like perhaps he thought he might be too intelligent to have to study to pass the test.  The real estate state exam is no easy task for anyone. I would say your chances of passing are a lot higher after having gone through the Armbrust school because they do care an awful lot about their students and their rating.  I happened to stumble across this website and this particular complaint. It absolutely made me furious.  I sincerely hope that the author of this complaint never ended up practicing real estate in the Denver metro area. I know iI as an agent surely would not want to have to deal with him on any of my transactions!

I retract my statements, Armbrust is good school

AUTHOR: Armbrust is good School - ()

Although my expereince with Armbrust Real Estate School was that I did not pass, I was way too critical with my opinion of the school and of Patrick Armbrust. Patrick Armbrust is an excellent teacher and makes the course challanging beause he wants his students to succeed. If students cannot pass he charges them extra to re-take the class because it costs him extra time and resources, not because he is greedy or a bad person. This was a mischarecterzation that I would like to take back. This website will not let me take my original review down but I wish I could. Patrick is a man trying to teach real estate while competeing with the needs of a business. I respect him for that.

The education at Armbrust Real Estate Insititute is Excellent.

Patrick Armbrust is an excellent teacher.

In summary, I misconstrued the facts about Armbrust to reach the wrong conclusion. If you study hard you will likely pass and Armbrust will provide you an excellent education. If you do not study hard and have to pay to take the course again, it is probably because you did not put much effort in the first time. I did not put as much effort in as I should have and therefore I deserved to have to pay to re-take the course agter failing the exam.

I have come to learn that my subjective opinion that not many people pass the course is false.

I highly reccomend the education you receive at Armbrust.

#3 General Comment

AREI

AUTHOR: Matthew T - ()

I'm in the school now taking the courses and I've found that the teachers are very helpful. I will be taking my final test in the next two weeks and I know I have to study to pass the test, blaming the teachers for you not passing is a far stretch, there is a lot of information and studying is the only way.

Totally disagree!

AUTHOR: C. P. - ()

I attended this school, passed their exam successfully, and then passed the state exam without a glitch.  I was glad they made their tests and exams so rigorous, so that I could go into the state exam with confidence.

This school is only for those that are really serious about studying and learning the material.  I don't think just because someone has prior school experience that it qualifies them to deride an exam preparation system that has been well-known and respected in the industry for decades!  Not everyone is cut out for this industry, and Armbrust confronts that fact head on by making their curriculum reflect the demands of the industry.

The Complaint is not Supported by the Record

AUTHOR: Dale B. - ()

I am a recent graduate of Armbrust Real Estate Institute and am in complete disagreement with the filed complaint.  In fact, my experience was nothing like what is described in this complaint.

I would strongly recommend AREI to anyone and know that the entire staff was absolutely invested in my successful completion of the course.  They take pride in having the highest first time exam passage rate of all schools in the state.  To insure success of students, they have developed a complete and in depth curriculum and employ a top notch teaching staff of long time successful real estate professionals to work with the students.  I can say with the upmost confidence that the level of instructor talent and sophisticated strategic teaching approach is not reflective of a group that would be aiming at student failure...they could do that with a lot less effort and cost expended.

I see that the complaint talks about passing the Armbrust final exam before being given the certificate needed to take the formal national/state test.  The Armbrust Final Exam is very similar to what would be provided as the formal exam (my Armbrust scores were very similar to my formal exam scores).  Inability to pass this exam probably means that you either have not done the necessary study or that you have not adequately absorbed the information and concepts to be ready to pass the national/state exam.  In my opinion, if you can't pass the Armbrust test, it is unlikely that you will pass the formal national/state test without getting lucky by guessing right on enough questions.

Personally, I think it is a good thing for the consumer that there is a compitency gate at AREI to prevent people who cannot pass the Armbrust test (I passed it easily) from being able to go straight to the state, get lucky by guessing correctly enough, then subjecting the general public to at least borderline incompitence in conducting real estate transactions worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It was apparent to me that local employing brokers are also impressed with the Armbrust approach to preparing their students as they come to the school and pitch their opportunities for new agents on a regular basis.

Through AREI, I received an outstanding educational foundation to enter the real estate industry and they will continue to be a valuable knowledge resource for me as I establish my presence in the industry.

#6 General Comment

Couldn't disagree more

AUTHOR: John A - ()

I have known Patrick Armbrust as an educator for the better part of 10 years. Patrick's primary goal is to provide the best opportunity to succeed not just with passing an exam but to learn the basics of real estate. The course for real estate pre-licensing in challangeing. Colorado Law and Rules expect more from those in the industry than many other States. As a result the course is more challenging. The instructions given in the classroom supports the necessary reading that each student must also do to gain the specific knowledge necessary to achieve a positive result on the state exam. The final exam at the school is challenging. When you can successfully complete the schools final exam you are ready to take the State Exam. Those students that faithfully do the required classroom and outside reading succeed without any further instruction. Those that do not do the Classroom and OUTSIDE READING experience difficuly. The successes of the many students that have complerted the course and passed the final State Exam are living testimony to the level of credibility of the AREI School and specifically Patrick Armbrust!