Complaint Review: Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa

• Updated: Sun, July 10, 2011

• Reported By: Lynn — Tulsa Oklahoma United States of America
Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa
2929 South 129 E PL Tulsa, Oklahoma United States of America

Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa Let me think I was getting out of my lease then billed me twice the rent for remaining months Tulsa, Oklahoma

*General Comment: Two Questions

My son signed a one year lease at Ashwood Apartments.  After 4 months, I moved to Tulsa so we went to the office to see if he could get out of the lease and move in with me to save him some money.  We asked the manager if there was anything he could do to get out of the lease.  She had him sign a Notice of Intent to Vacate and told him he would have to move out and pay 2 months of rent.  He did this.  Then they billed him for the remaining 6 months of rent at an inflated rate of 2 times the rent he was paying.  The manager never mentioned that he would be liable for the remainder of the rent or he would not have moved out.  They have added "concessions" to the bill whatever that is and decided that the worth of the apartment rent is now twice what he was renting for and say he should pay that instead of his normal rent.  They have the lease and a group of attorneys on their side and all we have is a manager that says she "must have" told him he would be liable.  I was there with him and she didn't say anything like that.  She led us to believe if he paid 2 months, he would be out of the lease.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2011 02:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashwood-Apartments-in-Tulsa/Tulsa-Oklahoma-74108/Ashwood-Apartments-in-Tulsa-Let-me-think-I-was-getting-out-of-my-lease-then-billed-me-twi-751388. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa

#1 General Comment

Two Questions

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

1.  Did the manager rent your son's apartment to someone else while charging your son rent?

2.  Did you get the agreement that your son would not be liable in writing?  Because as the old saying goes, an oral contract is worth the paper it's written on.  With so much money involved, you really needed to get the agreement to allow your son to vacate early IN WRITING.

I don't get the "inflated rate"- you mean they raised his monthly rental after he moved out?  But he had a lease- the lease allows them to raise the rent before it expires??  Seems to me that this part is actionable, or you are leaving something out.  Good luck.