Complaint Review: Aspen Dental

• Updated: Thu, November 14, 2013

• Reported By: Brammy — Somewhere Georgia
Aspen Dental
6783 Veterans Pkwy Columbus, Georgia USA

Aspen Dental Adds arbitrary fees. Tries to exceed coverage and finance you. Fishing for fools. Columbus Georgia

I visited this location in hopes of setting up a treatment plan so that I could make arrangements For the next year's flexible spending account. I contacted them to make an appointment, explained that I wanted a basic cleaning and a treatment plan to begin in 6 weeks.

I have a small chip on a front tooth and a crown that needs repair due to mr previous Dentist ignoring my complaints that food was getting beneath the crowm.   After examining my teeth, being unable to find any real cavities, I was told that I needed a deep cleaning. I was good with that!. When I asked what happened to my basic cleaning as my treatment plan would not begin until January, 6 weeks from now. I was told that they were unable to do a basic cleaning when a deep cleaning was required.  My first thought was WTF? Not my first trip to the dentist and every dentist I have ever had did a basic cleaning before even suggesting a deep cleaning.

I also wanted to look into either a bridge or permanent implant for a missing molar. When I explained to the dentist that I needed a dental device to prevent bruxism and would like a retainer to realign my front teeth as they were starting to push out due to this problem, I was told that I had ‘bone loss‘ . This was a bald face lie as we both saw my Xrays and there was no bone loss. My previous dentist in another state told me to expect this due to the jaw clenching and the spacing and position of my teeth.

Just when I thought this could get no more surreal, I was escorted into the Finance Manager's office and prevented with a plan with the explanation that my benefits would not cover the final procedure and how they could "finance it".  Keep in mind there were 7 appointments in this "plan" with only six weeks left in the plan year. To complete that plan I would have needed to be in a dental chair more often than once a week. Besides as I had explained so many times that I was sick of hearing it: I planned to pay for my dental work with my own money. Not pay GE 30% interest on money I had already earmarked.

The kicker was went I got home and looked at the plan. Not only had they used the most expensive code for 'smile facing', crowns which require more work to match the exact line of the teeth as well as level of whitness, on top on the negotiated rate for my insurance provider, they added their own lab fee which would only make sense if taking it home in a box and inserting it myself was a viable option. The crown I needed was a molar which requires half the work and costs a heck of a lot less. I can understand additional costs for a root canal, which I don't need, but they have to be insane to think that someone is going to pay a grand just to have them cement something in your mouth plus additional lab feez.

They even added theire expensive Chlora Hex and toothpaste. Both prescriptons can be filled at walmart for 5 bucks.

Unless you are absolutely desperate for dental care, have no insurance and already have damaged credit. Don't patronize this place! If you are thinking about it, I suggest checking out Frontline's piece on these crooks. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dollars-and-dentists/ .

I promptly gathered my X-rays and scheduled an appointment with a REAL dentist. I will have my minor work done next week with a plan starting the first of the year.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2013 09:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aspen-Dental/Columbus-Georgia-31904/Aspen-Dental-Adds-arbitrary-fees-Tries-to-exceed-coverage-and-finance-you-Fishing-for-f-1099444. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aspen Dental