Complaint Review: Asset Acceptance LLC

• Updated: Mon, September 26, 2011

• Reported By: J — Memphis Tennessee United States of America
Asset Acceptance LLC
PO Box 2036 Warren, Michigan United States of America

Asset Acceptance LLC Being Sued By Asset Acceptance in less than 30 days and need advice Warren, Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Just so you know:

*General Comment: Dont ever take any thing that Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - Sarasota (USA) says seriousl

*Author of original report: To Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC

*Consumer Comment: Asset Acceptance

*Consumer Comment: Just more proof that college doesn't make you smart!

Greetings,

To get straight to the point about a month or so ago I received a call from a "process server" that left a message on my voice mail to meet with. I was skeptical at first because I know in my area of Memphis, that when you are getting sued, they normally send out a Sheriff Deputy to serve papers, so a 3rd party process server was uncommon. However, I called him back, and he claims I was being sued for either "citibank" or "Methodist Hospital". So, me, trying to do the right thing, agreed to meet with him and received the paper work. I discover I was being sued by Asset Acceptance because of a Citibank card I opened in college (you know the one where they offer you a free box of chicken to open up an account). The original account was opened in  2003 and Charged off by citibank according to my credit report around 2009. AA LLC has reopened this account on my credit as of 8/2011. I received the suit paper on Sept 10, 2011 and that was the first I had heard of them handling the account.

After receiving the letter from the attorney David Mendelson in Memphis, Tennessee, I mistakenly (after reading up on what to do) called and attempted to put in a settlement offer. My train of thought was to keep from going to court and to basically get on with my life. I never spoke with mendelson, or Asset Acceptance, however, I did speak to a paralegal/secretary/random chick named Lindsay at Mendolson's office, and again, mistakenly tried to settle. David Mendolson sent a settlement letter saying per "our" conversation, (and I couldn't tell you what this guys voice sounded like) my client as agreed to settle for $1235 and it needs to be in his office by the close of the 15th of October.  As of today, I am trying to see what options in the state of Tennessee can I take.

The amount they claimed I owed total is $2135 and they are talking about settling for $1235. Citibank charged it off for $850 in 2009 and that is what I mistakenly offered. Thanks in advance for any advice I can get in this matter.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2011 11:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Acceptance-LLC/Warren-Michigan-/Asset-Acceptance-LLC-Being-Sued-By-Asset-Acceptance-in-less-than-30-days-and-need-advice-781249. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Acceptance LLC

Just so you know:

AUTHOR: Lawrence - (USA)

"Southern Chemical" prowls this site just looking for people to redicule and harrass. I've yet to see one piece of advise instead of critism form this joker.

#2 General Comment

AUTHOR: IamGood - (USA)

In a post to another person who owed money a while back the owner of this company posted a reply bragging how he cheated several debtors out of 132,000.00 of debt!!! Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - Sarasota (USA)  .  Perhaps before he starts criticizing others who have defaulted on his bills, perhaps he should contact those creditors, and pay back his 132,000.00 that he cheated those people out of!!!!!

To Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC

AUTHOR: J - (USA)

First off, thanks for the advice...but I found it very juvenile and unnecessary for you to insult my intelligence because of some mistakes.

At the age of 26, I am pretty sure that you made your share of mistakes, and for that reason is why I posted on this site to get advice from people like yourself that know more about the matter.

So have I learned from this mistake, and yes, I will not find myself in this situation again.

By the way, now days, you go to college to get a JOB, not to get SMARTER, think on that.

Thanks again!

Asset Acceptance

AUTHOR: Joseph Brown - (USA)

Asset acceptance is, according to Bud Hibbs(,com), a junk debt buyer. They buy bad paperwork for pennies oo the dollar and go through Hell and half of Ga to collect. They, like most of these scum suckers, are very crooked. Check out Hibbs website and see what he says about them and what to do about them.

Just more proof that college doesn't make you smart!

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

Just a lack of common sense here.

No "rip off".

Basic common sense would tell you that a process server would not be calling you.

Process servers DO NOT call. EVER.

Think about that a little.

Also, STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

Again, just common sense.

Phone calls DO NOT EVER protect your rights!

Any legal matters need to be handled ONLY in writing.

That old debt may have been past the legal statute of limitations in your state and may not have been legally collectable.

However, when you got on the phone and made an "agreement to pay", you LEGALLY re-affirmed the debt, and re-started the SOL clock.

The ONLY thing you can dispute now is the AMOUNT.

That's it.

Because you screwed yourself by speaking on the phone with a bottomfeeder.

Under federallaw, and most state laws, a debt collector cannot increase the initial charge off amount with collections fees or other frivolous amounts. The ONLY thing that can be added is the state set amount for "post charge off" interest which is usually around 6%. That's it.

Any other costs need to be awarded by the court.

You need to demand a full itemization of charges, not just a "total".

Do this IN WRITING, and ONLY by certified mail, return reciept requested. Make sure you put the certified# in the body of the letter and keep a copy for your records.