Complaint Review: asset care collection agency

• Submitted: Wed, March 31, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, April 02, 2010

• Reported By: kim — Cleveland Ohio United States of America
asset care collection agency

asset care collection agency calling my phone and won't stop unless i have a case number Internet

*Author of original report: may be resolved

*Consumer Suggestion: They fed you some b.s.

I just got a new phone and new phone number last night, this morning at 9 am I receive a call from this number and since I was working I did not answer it.  Do not even have voicemail set up yet.  I found the company and realized it was a debt collector, called them in the afternoon and was told in a very rude voice that unless I have a case number they cannot pull my file.  I do not have a case number and since I got the phone number yesterday I know it's not a call for me!  I cannot believe they cannot find someone by phone number.  So I will probably continue to receive calls wasting my cell phone minutes.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/31/2010 10:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/asset-care-collection-agency/internet/asset-care-collection-agency-calling-my-phone-and-wont-stop-unless-i-have-a-case-number-587822. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on asset care collection agency

may be resolved

AUTHOR: kimber - (United States of America)

I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday on them and this morning of course they called again with an autodialer, they did have a contact name and case number for me but interesting that they are violating the law like that, thanks for the information.  I called back immediately, asked for the person and the rep who answered asked for my phone number.  I didn't want to give it to her but she was able to pull up via case number (after being rude of course) and said she would remove it.   I got another call this morning from an "unknown" number (and 2 yesterday), this time I answered and the caller asked for "Shawn"...I told him wrong number and he just hung up.  Nice, no way to investigate.  I have one more company I was able to track down via my missed calls list, they pulled a similar move yesterday with "we don't have your phone number in our system" and I'm like "oh but you do, because you called me TODAY" and she basically fed me a line about how there are so many outgoing phone calls they can't trace it and then hung up.  Filed a BBB complaint on them too.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

They fed you some b.s.

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Sounds like you spoke to someone who just didn't want to do their job, or was too stupid to understand what you were saying.

They most certainly can pull up a file using the phone number as a reference. They can't tell you anything about the account if it isn't yours, but resolving your problem wouldn't require that anyways.

Beyond that, they don't even need to pull the account to remove the number from their system.

I had this problem with my last new cell phone. I was receiving collections calls apparently directed to the person who had the new number before me. I called each individual agency back up, explained that I had a new cell phone and was receiving calls for the previous number-owner, and gave them the number. Each agency (I think there were three) immediately removed the number from their system and the problem hasn't recurred.

If they don't want to cooperate with you, point out to them that, by calling your cell phone with an auto-dialer, they are violating the Telephone Consumer's Protection Act. They probably won't have any idea what you're talking about, but it's illegal to use anything other than a live person to place calls to a phone line where the consumer is charged per-call or by the minute, and where the entity placing the call has no prior business relationship with the consumer (I hope that makes sense - I tried my best to mnimize confusion).

Best of luck, Asset Care is a pretty aggressive outfit.