• Report: #1121952

• Updated: Sat, February 08, 2014

• Reported By: MCT — woodfin North Carolina
Assurant Specialty Property
PO Box 979220 Miami, Florida USA

Assurant Specialty Property American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida Renter's Insured Nighmare: DO NOT USE Miami Florida

My home was burglarized on 1/10/14.  I contacted Assurant Property Specialty about the incident.  I was contacted the following Monday, given a claim number and told to go online to complete the claims form but it took a week for me to do it because I kept getting error messages.  Finally, after I called for the 4th time, a call center agent told me how to access my claim that was already in the system.

I provided a police report which included serial numbers for some electronics that were stolen. There were other items for which I have no proof of ownership and the named company will NOT reimburse me for those items.  I had to finally get in touch with a manager to clear things up so the items for which I cannot show proof of ownership or that are not on the police report will be removed from my claim and I will be paid the depreciated value of all of the other items.

The items on the police report are the electronics. My bedroom was completely ransacked and afterwards I realized what else was missing.  This claim has been partially processed for over 3 weeks now.  This is the worst experience that I have ever had with an insurance company and this is the first time I've ever filed a renter's insurance claim.

This company has terrible service, is not on the customer's side and has caused me stress and problems.  I rushed and relocated for the safety of my family and fear of being burglarized again.  The event was traumatizing.  I had to borrow money to move and I was offered a settlement amount of $771.xx. My policy included RCV but I was paid out for ACV and with that I have to replace the items that cost more money now and be reimbursed the difference between the RVC and ACV.

I believe that a settlement of $3500.00  for my loss should be offered.  I lost many items and I had the expenses of a rushed move for fear of my family’s safety.  The service I have received thus far has been nothing short of horrible and stressful.  This company is a partner of GEICO (my auto insurance carrier) and I have contacted them as well as filed a complaint with the BBB.  I am a single mother of three daughters (8, 10, & 11) and being burglarized was a traumatic event.  My kids were afraid everyday as was I.

This process is taking a really long time.  My policy covered up to $20,000 in property loss.  I had to take out a loan to move to a new place.  The company is based out of Florida but I know they have to be licensed to do business in North Carolina.  My policy has never lapsed as I have always made my monthly payments. As of Today, my policy is cancelled but my claim is still open. I am still waiting for my stolen laptop to be included in the settlement.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2014 06:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Assurant-Specialty-Property-/Miami-Florida-33319/Assurant-Specialty-Property-American-Bankers-Insurance-Company-of-Florida-Renters-Insur-1121952. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Assurant Specialty Property