Complaint Review: At The Beach Tanning Superstore

• Submitted: Wed, December 05, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, May 19, 2009

• Reported By:harrah Oklahoma
At The Beach Tanning Superstore
6401 Nw Expwy Oklahoma City, Oklahoma U.S.A.

At The Beach Tanning Superstore They purposefully distracted me from realizing I was signing a contract! Oklahoma City Oklahoma

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't get ripped off again - what to look for next time

*Consumer Comment: They misrepresent what their contracts are for

*Consumer Comment: You'd be wrong!!!

*Consumer Comment: You did not read the contract. Plain and simple.

*Consumer Suggestion: I have an idea

Last Feburary I went in to the At The Beach on NorthWest Expressway. I don't tan regularly, but occationally I will for something speacial. When I went in I was helped by a girl about my age and showed their four levels of tanning and told about the pricing. I was told that there was a monthly fee that had to be taken out of my checking account(not paid in the store).

At no point in time was it ever presented as a contract. The word contract was never said at all. I was never told that they would file a loan under my name or that it would show on my credit. Every month $38 dollars in taken from my account and will be for two years. When I tried speaking with the manager regarding the situation he said that the document was binding. The only way to get out would be to either transfer the contract to some other poor soul or move more than 50 miles from an At The Beach location(I was actually tempted).

Oddly enough, since this has happened I have heard from multiple people claiming to be treated in the same manner. Before I might have considered my own situation a fluke; however, now it is clear that this is the way their buisness opperates. I have no doubts that I was intentionally ripped-off.

Stephanie
harrah, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2007 04:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/At-The-Beach-Tanning-Superstore/Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma-73132/At-The-Beach-Tanning-Superstore-They-purposefully-distracted-me-from-realizing-I-was-signi-289221. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on At The Beach Tanning Superstore

AUTHOR: Lea - (U.S.A.)

I tan at a tulsa, ok location. I took over another girls contract not paying attention and not caring at the time when I did so. I had a 2yr contract I was pale as white bread and this seemed like a good idea. It included all beds and mystic tan. Mystic tan turns you orange plain and simple and it smells awful. So then ATB brings in the Holy Grale of fake bake. The Versa Spa and I tried it and fell in love. Also fell in love with the Sun Angel Bed so I knowingly signed up for another year to be added onto my contract. After all of this I am paying $59.63/monthly. I was never deceived by the sales person and this is the honest truth. I didnt read about the cancellation part though that was my stupidity. The only reason I am not complaining is that I love the Versa Spa and I am as brown as it can get. Also when I bring my child with me the sales staff are super nice to him and they are nice to me even joke around a bit. I called the store today to see when my contract was up because Ive been browsing the internet reading horrible stories about this place and thank Jesus my contract is up in December of 2010. I am counting the days... I also asked about the cancellation process and this is what I was told by Jordan at ATB. he said in order to cancel once the contract is up you HAVE TO Fill out a change of account form 7 days before the last billing cycle/month if you do not then yes, your account will be auto renewed but only for a month to month basis and it will NOT set you up for a 2yr contract. So in saying all of this be careful about what you read and please if you cant afford it or think that you wont be able to afford it in the future dont sign the contract and go somewhere else. I am mad at myself for signing a contract and learned a huge lesson. I dont have any hate statements to say about ATB the staff is friendly or atleast at the 15th and Lewis store in tulsa, ok. If I don't want to buy any tanning items I simply tell them no, thank you and go on about my tanning business. The word NO does not hurt. Trust your senses .

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Don't get ripped off again - what to look for next time

AUTHOR: Concerned Citizen - (U.S.A.)

Oklahoma has a consumer credit agency which oversee issues like this.

First . . . if a contract is for longer than 4 months (down payment and 3 consecutive payments), the form MUST include the Federal Disclosure. This portion of the contract is identical in font, font size, and layout with every contract. It doesn't matter if you are buying a car, signing for a personally guaranteed loan at the bank . . . whatever!

Second . . . The Federal Disclosure includes boxes that tell you the amount you are borrowing, the total amount of interest, the total you will be paying back when you have completed all of your payments, etc. etc. Look it up on the internet! Familiarize yourself with it! Now anytime you sign something that has this on it, you can rest assured you have signed a 'CONTRACT'. THIS IS REQUIRED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, not just the state government.

If you have problems with a company saying you have committed to a 12 or 24 month contract and it did NOT include the Federal Disclosure, contact Oklahoma's Consumer Credit Agency:

Our U.S. postal address is:
4545 N. Lincoln Blvd. Suite 104
Oklahoma City, OK 73105-3413

Come By Our Office:
OKDOCC offices are located in the northwest corner of the Lincoln Plaza Office Complex. (See detailed map)

Contact Us By Phone or Facsimile:
You can reach our main office by telephone:
(405) 521-3653
or by fax:
(405) 521-6740
or by calling our in-state consumer hotline:
(800) 448-4904

Send Us Email:
You can reach us through electronic mail at rbhooper@okdocc.state.ok

I hope this helps! The fine print is hard to read, but the Federal Disclosure should really jump out at you!

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Isabel - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for At the Beach and was demoted due to the fact that my numbers were low because I was one of the honest employees. The reason all these employees lie to you is because they are in fear of losing their jobs. Although it doesn't justify them doing it. It is true that you can cancel up to 3 days after you sign the contract and after you have been with the company for a certain amount of time you can downgrade your contract but it involves resigning another contract. At the Beach was designed for AVID tanners. Thats why its called a Tanning Superstore. Mostly for people who tan regularly and year-round. This is why most people wanting to tan for a month get tricked into signing a 24 month contract. There are a lot of customers that are happy with the services that At the Beach offers but I can understand why some consumers are upset, it would upset me as a manager when other employees would screw up and it was my problem afterwards. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read your fine print before signing. As a former employee I know the tricks people pull. I have never conned someone into signing one of these things without letting them know what they are getting into...you have to sign in 3 places acknowledging you understand the term of the contract. These employees get no formal training so they arent actually trained to lie to you they are just scared of the big bosses. Contacting corporate will not help because they are only money hungry. I hope I can help shed some light on this for you. I recently quit ATB for these reasons and I apologize for the inconsiderance of others.

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Isabel - (U.S.A.)

They misrepresent what their contracts are for

AUTHOR: Finklbits - (U.S.A.)

After I signed my membership contract with them and the tanning services did not work for me at all (mystic tan) after i was repeatedly promised it would. I was informed that I could not get out because there was a clause saying that it was an unbreakable contract and the contract was set up like a loan.

I was never told that the membership contract was for a loan, if you are signing a loan contract you should be informed that it is legally a loan. Even if you read the tiny fine print most people would have no idea that they were signing a loan. Not telling consumers this or conveniently omitting this information is unethical business practices.

I believe people should exercise personal responsibility and read what they are signing. But when the company uses rush tactics, fills out the info for you so they never let you have the sheet of paper before you sign it, and conveniently omit pertinent information in the sales pitch then it is a different story. There are loopholes that this company is allowed to abuse, they do not think that false advertising applies to them because the way that they set it up as a loan.

It is implied that a loan would guarantee both parties the services being signed for, even if At the Beach is unable to or does not deliver those services they will not allow you to break the contract, so how are the contracts still legally binding?

You'd be wrong!!!

AUTHOR: Kooty - (U.S.A.)

I have no doubt that they teach their employees to..."cover over" the truth. I, too, have signed a contract with them. The girl neglected to tell me it was actually a contract. She led me to believe it was the basic disclaimers (if you've ever tanned before you'd know that you usually have to sign a disclaimer saying you won't sue..blahblah). On the part that is ACTUALLY a contract she simply said "this part is just telling you that I've filled in all the blanks up here" And while YES that is what it said...it also said all the crap about it being a binding contract. I WILL admit it's my fault for not completely and fully reading what I was signing. It's also my own bad for not realizing that they give you a full 7 days to get out of the contract. Now my only way to get out is to pay them the 1,400 dollars... OR move 25 miles away from the nearest location and pay 75 dollars...and prove it.

They've also lied to a friend of mine. While she knew she was in a contract they told her she could change the terms of her contract at a later date (aka move down to a cheaper plan after her trip to mexico was over) Alas, they were full of crap and now she's stuck paying just as much as I do.

On another note...a TWO YEAR CONTRACT is a little ridiculous. Even the phone companies will let you pay a couple of hundred dollars to get out of a two year contract.

You did not read the contract. Plain and simple.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

Stephanie wrote:

I was helped by a girl about my age...

She started chatting animatedly about some personal things while she pulled out papperwork making it difficult to ask questions. I did tell her that I only wanted to tan for about a month and she said that that was FINE! She also told me I could CALL AND CANCEL! All the while, she was talking about her boyfriend.ing

***********

Stephanie, are you and the tanning store girl in high school (16-18) or in college (18 - 22)? I just realized you wrote they are taking out $38 a month from you checking account, well then, you must be a grown woman. It is your responsibility to read contracts, forms or any other business papers before signing. I doubt the store sales people were trained to distract customers from reading the contracts given to them.

#13 Consumer Suggestion

I have an idea

AUTHOR: Acqua - (Canada)

I have never heard of making someone sign a contract for TWO years of tanning, that is insane. I would show up there every single day, sit in the room, turn on the bulbs and not tan (obviously that would be harmful) and go for the maximum amount of time every single day. Sooner or later they would not be making money off you and maybe then they would be a little more likely to let you get out of this contract.
Isn't there a cooling off period that you are allowed to get out of the contract in a certain amount of time? Did you check into that?
Good Luck!