Complaint Review: AT&T (Uverse Service)

• Submitted: Thu, August 21, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, April 12, 2012

• Reported By:Newark Ohio
AT&T (Uverse Service)
One AT&T Way Bedminster, New Jersey U.S.A.

AT&T (Uverse Service) SCAM: Did not receive returned equipment via UPS Bedminster New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Glad you resolved the issue. Tanie has no idea what he/she is talking about.

*Consumer Comment: Shipping problems

*Author of original report: Caught

I changed residential addresses in May of 08. I had AT&T's UVERSE service for cable TV and Internet at my previous address. The service was not available at my new address. Therefore, I had to cancel the service. AT&T refused to physically pick up their equipment or allow it to be dropped off at a local office. There were a total of five recievers that needed to be returned to them and they had to be shipped via UPS. AT&T sent me a box with packing and a return UPS shipping label. I packaged the equipment and tryed to drop it off at a local UPS store. However, our local UPS store had closed. I dropped the package off at a place called "Express Pack N Ship". At the time, this store did not handle UPS shipments, but they offered to take the package off of my hands and have the local UPS man pick it up for a one dollar charge. This was acceptable to me and the one dollar charge was paid using my debit card. I did write down the tracking number. However, I lost it.

Almost two months later, I received a bill from AT&T stating that they did not ever receive my equipment. The charge on the bill is $956.00. I immediately contacted AT&T to let them know that I did ship the equipment on 6/6/08. They said they would start an investigation and I would receive a call within 48 business hours. I never received a call. I called back again. No updates. They asked me to call back again in three or four days. Long story short, I have called them about 6 times over the last three weeks. Everytime, I get a different story. Some representives have told me that someone at AT&T should have the tracking number as they generated the UPS shipping label that they sent me. However, I have not been able to get it from them yet. The last that I was told was that the invetigation was opened with the wrong department... billing instead of equipment. They have now supposedly opened an investigation with the equipment department and I supposed to call them back for an update at the end of this week.

My concern is that they are not really investigating this with UPS and that I am going to get stuck with this on my credit record. I have seen atleast one of complaint on this site that was similar. For that one, the tracking # was thrown away by the customer after he confirmed that AT&T received his equipment. Then, AT&T did the same thing to him by coming back after a couple of months and saying they never received his equipment and I beleive his bill was $880.00. He complained that AT&T would rather have a customer pay so that they could have new eqipment for their next customer instead of using used equipment. There is somthing very suspicious about this whole thing and I am just trying to figure out what to do about it. I would think that AT&T could atleast provide me with the tracking number that they generated as the shipper so that I could confirm the status with UPS. Atleast then, I would know who to go after... whether it be UPS, the place I shipped the package, or AT&T. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Newark, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/21/2008 11:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Uverse-Service/Bedminster-New-Jersey-07921/ATT-Uverse-Service-SCAM-Did-not-receive-returned-equipment-via-UPS-Bedminster-New-Jers-365388. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T (Uverse Service)

Glad you resolved the issue. Tanie has no idea what he/she is talking about.

AUTHOR: seeworthy - (USA)

The return of the AT&T equipment is prone to the same receiving errors as companies such as Century Link, T-Mobile, Dish Network, etc. They all supply prepaid return shipping labels. Occasionally, when these packages are received back by the respective companies, human error occurs when logging them in. The equipment will end up on a shelf with no identification for whom it belongs.

Though often an oversight, it is the responsibility of the party returning the equipment to maintain records of the tracking # and date of return. (You could compare this to records made for a mailed rebate of a purchase.) When situations such as this OP has described occur, the tracking number will resolve the issue 100% of the time by showing that the company received the package on a certain date and that it was signed for by an employee of that location.

I am not sure why the response by Tanie stated what it had. Ignorance mixed with a poorly self esteemed resentful attitude, perhaps. To use the term "knock off", for the location the equipment was left at for carrier pick up, is both inaccurate as well as rude. That location is simply another business offering a legitimate service to the public. Though middleman locations such as 'Express Pack N Ship' have a shipping fee markup, the OP obviously felt the buck was worth the convenience. If you want to save that whole big dollar, bring your UPS shipment to a The UPS Store; they will also print out a copy of the tracking number for you for free. Yes, he could have had a trackable carrier pick his package up at his home...for a ten dollar pick up fee. Tanie also absurdly accused the shipping business (Express Pack N Ship) of not giving the package to the carrier at all. Again, tracking numbers will verify the pick up.

I have dealt with thousands of these sort of shipments over the years. Though 100% of these shipments are completely properly, occasional calls come in such as the OP described here. Without the tracking number, the person that sent the package has the burden of proof when the equipment company says they have no record of it. Though no detailed record is created at drop off locations, our facility scans each and every tracking number. If a customer falls into this situation and has lost the tracking number, but can indicate the exact day of drop off, when can scan the hundreds of tracking numbers, search for the imbedded account number of company that supplied the label, and derive the tracking number. Again, 100% of the time, after the company says they never receive the package, the tracking number does in fact show it was received, dated, and signed.

In this situation, the concern was soley between the OP and AT&T's UVERSE. Human error caused both the tracking number oversight and the error when receiving by the AT&T constituent. The avoidable REAL problems of this world are caused by persons such as the respondent Tanie.

I'm glad your issue was resolved, Brian. Your follow up shows you to be a decent and conscientiousness person.

Shipping problems

AUTHOR: Tanie - (U.S.A.)

I am not understanding why is this Uverse's problem. They clearly told you to ship the items back using UPS YOU chose to use a cheap knock off service that cost you, "$1" to have UPS pick it up from them. You could have had UPS pick it up from YOU instead. You also lost the tracking number. Yet you want to make the issue Uverse's problem. It's not. That knock off company you went to is where you should have called first. They may or may not have shipped the items.

I have been with Uverse on and off for years. Everytime I ship my items back through UPS as they instruct you to do, these items get back no problem. In fact I didnt need a shipping label because UVerse and UPS have some deal worked out. So all I do is take the cable boxes and router in UPS boxes it for me and ships them out. They print out a receipt for you with a confirmation number on it on the spot.

You can not complain about a company when the problem initiated with you.

Caught

AUTHOR: Brian - (U.S.A.)

I found my tracking number. The package was delivered in an acceptable amount of time. I even have an email confirmation from UPS that contains an AT&T employee signature for the returned equipment. I have not given this info to AT&T yet. Anyone interested in this case now?