• Report: #1132008

• Updated: Wed, March 19, 2014

• Reported By: Not Applicable — Olathe Kansas
AT&T UVerse
208 S. Akard St. Dallas, Texas USA

AT&T UVerse AT&T UVerse, billing, bait and switch, FCC, FTC, BBB of Dallas, Attorney General of Tx Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: Liars

Back in June of 2013, I renegotiated my AT&T UVerse service; they stated the pricing was good through 06/14. Specifically, the original price for the U300 service was supposed to be $89 base price with a $31 discount or $58 a month; plus, I received discounts for our internet and phone service. I first experienced a billing problem on the 01/14 to 02/14 statement; AT&T increased the U300 service to $92 with a $31 discount or $61 a month. Moreover, they increased the Broadcast TV surcharge from $1.99 per month to $2.99 a month. On 03/13/2014, I called AT&T about this problem, as well as several others (e.g. billed for movies that were supposed to be free), because they need to adjust the billing error. I spoke to a woman named Latrina, and she stated that AT&T increased their prices during this billing cycle. I explained to her that regardless of AT&T's price increase that my contract was negotiated through 06/14; therefore, AT&T should not have increased my bill until 06/14. But Latrina refused to adjust my bill, and she left me on hold for almost 10 minutes due to computer issues, so I hung up. Since I have experienced billing and technical problems with AT&T in the past, I just decided to file reports with the following agencies: 1) the BBB of Dallas (http://dallas.bbb.org/); 2) the FCC (http://www.fcc.gov/complaints); 3) the Attorney General of Texas (https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer/complain.shtml); and 4) the FTC (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1). A few days later, I received a callback from AT&T corporate office.

A woman named Pam left a message on my v-mail stating they were refusing to credit my bill. She stated that when AT&T quoted my rate back in June that they only quoted it with the $31 discount. This is not factual. Moreover, AT&T UVerse states they record all calls for quality assurance; therefore, it should be verifiable that I was quoted a specific rate—about $159 for U300, internet, and phone service—through June of 2014. In addition, it is readily apparent that AT&T quotes overall rates and not just “discounts” on their website. More troubling, Pam failed to address why I was billed $12 in movie charges that should have been free, since AT&T had sent me vouchers with codes for free movies over the last several months. Finally, I received a message back from the BBB showing this response as well, but I failed to accept their response, because this billing problem is clearly bait and switch; if AT&T was going to increase my bill, they should have done it after the 06/14 billing cycle. So I decided to disconnect service with AT&T and to find another provider.

When I called to disconnect service, I told the representative about my problems. He apologized and offered me a $100 bill credit. To put it bluntly, corporate office should have taken care of this problem themselves rather than the disconnection department that acts as customer retention. In addition, I advised him that their service would actually be cheaper if we disconnected service in my name and reconnected in my boyfriend’s name, because this would make it a new account. He agreed, although I told him this makes no sense from a business perspective; it is cheaper to keep a current customer than to retain a new one (e.g. note gift card promotion). The new service would take our current service down to $119 a month; plus, we would qualify for $250 in gift cards. Moreover, the website states this rate is locked in for 24 months, so we’ll save almost $1000 over the 2 year period. So I disconnected service in my name, and we are reconnecting in my boyfriend’ name on the same day. You’d think AT&T would be better off just renegotiating the service rate down to the $119 on the current account than to chuck out another $250 in gift cards for opening a new account, plus waiving the $49 activation charge. But this is really beside the point. My main complaint is that they are jacking up my pricing when the contract was clearly negotiated through 06/2014. Not smart business.

If you are having a similar problem with AT&T’s billing, please file your own complaint. The government agencies listed will eventually see a trend in their billing, and they'll have to take action.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2014 07:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-UVerse/Dallas-Texas-75202/ATT-UVerse-ATT-UVerse-billing-bait-and-switch-FCC-FTC-BBB-of-Dallas-Attorney-Gene-1132008. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T UVerse

Liars

AUTHOR: lyljesse - (United States of America)

I have had Uverse for several months. I had a similar incident where they lied about credit adjustments. In addition to this, I had techs try charging me for "special" installations without my authorization or signature. They even submitted paper work with the signature section blank. I have been recording my conversations with them on the phone and have made copies of text messages. When I compile all this today and tomorrow, I am writing my own review and going to the Kentucky Attorney General. I suggest anyone else who has had a problem do the same. From what i can tell AT&T service sepcialist tell you what you want to hear then don't record any notes on the conversation. Essentially they promise a resolution and lie about it later. They stall you 'till they can auto debit your account. Well, i will be canceling my debit card, writing a review on this site, writing the Attorney General, and taking them to court for the amounts they stole form me. If anyone else, needs a copy of my records to help them prove their claims, please email me and I will be more than happy to assist in proving these shoddy business practices.