Complaint Review: AUM

• Updated: Mon, January 27, 2014

• Reported By: M. G. — Florida
PO Box 4957 Oak Brook, Illinois USA

AUM American Utility Management Unbelievable charges! Oak Brook Illinois

I have never seen a water bill so high in my life.  My bill is caculated on some crazy algorithm based on square footage and people living in the unit.  So, I'm only one person in an 1100 sq. ft. apartment.  My water usage, trash, and pest control (which I have yet to see anyone out here for that purpose) are not the issues here.  It's the sewage!  My sewage is almost three times (3X) what my water usage is.  THREE TIMES!

I called AUM to ask about this.  I got a very rude woman who told me it was sewage treatment.  OK, I said, but do you mean to tell me that *every* resident here pays a minimum of $50 each month and water treatment still costs that much?  Multiply that money against the couple of hundred apartments here.  That's a lot of money.  I do not believe these costs.  Perhaps I could if someone actually read a meter and gave me a breakdown.  I also challenge the costs of wastewater as that becomes "reclaimed water" and is used in irrigation, not drinking.

Additionally, it matters not what you really use.  I was barely home all of last month due to a death in the family and my water bill was actually higher than last month (and no, I didn't leave water on or anything like that).  So, it's clear that if there is a meter, no one checks it physically.  Thus, I'm being charged for something I didn't use.  That's fraud.

My other issue is this:  I live in Florida, which has notorious periods of water shortage during droughts.  So, my attempts to conserve water in my own unit (which is highly encouraged and I'm religious about this) goes to pot.  Why would I want to conserve water when it doesn't matter?  When Florida gets into a drought again, you can't blame me for this!

In short, I believe that the practices of this company are shady at least.  I moved into this apartment because it was close to law school, but I will do my best to get as far away from this company as I can when my lease is up.  Law school isn't cheap, but I could buy a textbook for almost the same price as my water bill.  In a time where Americans are struggling, it's disheartening to see a company that does business "mysteriously".

One more thing.  Their bills are send so very close to the due date (in fact, my bill came today and it's due in three days) that I'm not surprised other billees have missed the date.  If I had not had my utilities bill payable through my complex's online webpay, I would be consulting an attorney for breach.

Thank you for your time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2014 08:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AUM/Oak-Brook-Illinois-60522/AUM-American-Utility-Management-Unbelievable-charges-Oak-Brook-Illinois-1118891. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AUM