Complaint Review: AVALON MALIBU

• Updated: Sat, November 30, 2013

• Reported By: Allan S. — Toronto Ontario
AVALON MALIBU
malibu, California USA

AVALON MALIBU AVALON BY THE SEA -JEFF SCHWARTZ -ROB ALEXANDER They Made My Daughter Worse and Ripped Me Off for $50,000 malibu California

*General Comment: Avalon Malibu vicitms of false report by competitors

*UPDATE Employee: Report: #1103270 is a HOAX because no such patient exists

There is a drug and alcohol rehab center in Malibu California called Avalon Malibu.  This past summer, I checked my daughter into this place for addiction treatment. They said they accepted our insurance and they promised me they were worth the $50,000 a month they were charging me.  Their admissions person, Rob Alexander, personally assured me that Avalon was the top rehab in Malibu, they had better results than anyone else and could help my daughter.  My daughter has been struggling hard with drugs the last few years.

After two months of treatment my daughter had to leave because Avalon said the insurance coverage would not cover any more expenses and they felt she was ready to come home.  She clearly was not ready to come home, because she came home and relapsed.  I couldn’t believe it, within days she relapsed into a deeper hole than she was in when she entered treatment.  So I started looking into this place and asking my daughter questions.  She started telling me stories about this place I would have never imagined.

It appears the guy that runs the place, Jeff Schwartz, is high on drugs himself most of the time, according to what my daughter overheard many times from staff.   How does the State of California let a guy like this run a treatment center?  He’s also apparently deep in debt and none of the staff can stand him.  One of the resident assistants told her that many of the people working there had been fired from other local rehabs.  Maybe that’s why my daughter thought the quality of the staff was so poor.  This so called “luxury rehab” has gone through four different clinical directors in a little over a year, and I found out are only still in business because of Schwartz’s wealthy step-brother.

Another interesting point I discovered is that they overbill the insurance companies like crazy for anything they can get away with.  I showed my daughter the billing recaps for weekly tests, treatments, medication, etc. and she says that she never got half of what they billed.  I don't know if this is illegal, but I suspect it is.  I am going to contact the Secretary of State to see what can be done.

Of course I asked the Admissions guy, Rob Alexander for my money back, since he lied about Avalon Malibu or Avalon by the Sea, whatever they call themselves.  He hemmed and hawed and basically blew me off.  Then when I looked them up on Yelp, I found that the only review up there was written by Rob Alexander!  What a scam!  I lost $50,000 to these rip-off artists!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/30/2013 02:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AVALON-MALIBU/malibu-California-90265/AVALON-MALIBU-AVALON-BY-THE-SEA-JEFF-SCHWARTZ-ROB-ALEXANDER-They-Made-My-Daughter-Worse-1103270. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AVALON MALIBU

#1 General Comment

Avalon Malibu vicitms of false report by competitors

AUTHOR: Truth - ()

My name is Kenneth Whitfield and have first hand knowledge of the quality of services at Avalon Malibu. It is considered to be one of the most respectable and ethical treatment centers in Malibu , California. Jeff Schwartz  always expects that his staff give no less than 100% to his patients with compassion and empathy. The claims in here are false as I visit Avalon Malibu at least twice a month and I don't hear any these types of complaints from staff and patients as many them are personal friends of mine. It seems that one of Avalon Malibu's competitiors is using this website and the Daily Kos to wage a subversive negative internet presence against this treatment center as both articles and reports came out the same week with no evidence to support the false claims. If anyone cared to notice the fact that Avalon Malibu has a JAHCO accreditation and one of only a hand of treatment centers have them here in California. I also question the author and may  be track his IP address as hey may actually be doing Black Hat SEO against Avalon.

Kenneth Whitfield

Report: #1103270 is a HOAX because no such patient exists

AUTHOR: Richard - ()

I am writing this rebuttal to Report #1103270 as attorney for the mangement company of Avalon Malibu and its General Manager, Jeff Schwartz, and employee Rob Alexander. I have personal knowledge of Avalon Malibu and Jeff Schwartz since the inception of the facility.

Report #1103270 is a hoax because the patient described in the report does not exist. The report states it was authored by a man named 'Allan S." from Toronto, Ontario Canada.  Avalon's records do not show any patient whose father is from Toronto, and no patient whose father's name is Allan S.

Moreover, Avalon and Messrs. Schwartz and Alexander vigorously deny and object to the outrageous false libel contained in the report.  It should be noted that the accuser does not base his defamatory statements on any firsthand knowledge, but rather on anonymous double hearsay.

If Mr. Allan S. does exist, Avalon welcomes an opportunity to discuss his concerns and complaints directly and invites him to call Mr. Schwartz at Avalon Malibu at his first opportunity.