Complaint Review: avg

• Submitted: Mon, November 14, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, December 13, 2011

• Reported By: MRS. D — Arizona U.S.A.
avg

avg avg tech buddy, avg internet security, avg anti-virus, avg free WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN HISTORY OF INTERNET COMPANIES Internet

*Author of original report: UPDATE! AVG actually gives me a full refund!

*Consumer Comment: AVG

*Author of original report: UPDATE! The day after writing this report - AVG Responded with this!

For years, I used AVG Anti-Virus.  I have recommended it to hundreds of people that I had as clients.  At first, I used the freed version.  It's a great product, but in the past year it has stopped catching most of the dangerous and harmful viruses.  I thought that since I had used their FREE product for years, why not purchase their full version, and not just one copy, but 3 copies for all of my computers.  AND, since my computer was already infected with a virus that the AVG software did not catch,  I decided to purchase their one-time AVG TECH BUDDY service, where a technician will remotely access my pc and according to their customer service representative in his EXACT words on  10-15-2011 at 10:36pm My payment of $189.48 payment will cover my 3 copies of AVG and:

(NOTE:  Interesting, AVG removes all phone numbers and quoted prices from their chat logs before the copy is submitted to you. [continued below]....
.....  If you need to have records of those do a "print screen" during your chat)

AVG Chat:So the $##.## will now cost $##.##.
You::)
AVG Chat:In addition to that, we can also sign you up for AVG TechBuddy and they will be able to help you in the installation process.
AVG Chat:They can remotely access your computer and fix the issues for you.
You:Awesome! Did they tell you how much the intitial cost of tech buddy is?
AVG Chat:The Virus and Spyware removal costs $###.##.
AVG Chat:And once the threats are completely removed on your computer, they will be able to do the installation remotely and ask them to configure AVG according to your computer's needs.
You:Ouch.....but I need to get it done. It will be a relief. Let's go ahead and do it. You said that it has a guarantee, can you tell me what the guarantee is?
AVG Chat:AVG TechBuddy has a money-back guarantee.
AVG Chat:Let's say if the issue will not be resolved by our Advanced Support experts.
AVG Chat:You can ask for a refund for the service.
You:Okay. Let's do it
AVG Chat:Alright.
AVG Chat:So that will be a total of $###.##
You:Okay. One last question though
AVG Chat:Sure.
You:Does the Virus and Spyware removal include all types of viruses, trojans, etc....
AVG Chat:Yes.
You:okay
You:Want my name and address first?
AVG Chat:Yes.
AVG Chat:By the way, here's what the service offers:
AVG Chat:- Perform comprehensive software and specialist manual security scans. Permanently remove any viruses, spyware, malware, trojans or other threats. - Seek out viruses from deep inside your computer. - Update your AVG software to make sure you've got the latest updates and patches. - Configure basic safety and security settings to protect against future infections and common threats. - Offer advice and answer any questions you have about staying protected.
You:okay. That's a one time thing thought right? The remote virus removal?
AVG Chat:Yes. It's a one time support service. But they will make sure that all of the threats are gone.
AVG Chat:From what I know, they do follow-up calls as well.
You:Okay, that sounds fine. I just don't understand why though, If AVG can catch the trojan, the program says they can't do anything about it. But then they can go in remotely and do something about it?
AVG Chat:The infection is preventing the software to run properly.
AVG Chat:Those guys will remove the threat without using AVG.
You:Yes, but if the infection came in on something, can't it come back?
AVG Chat:It will come back, but not if the computer is already protected.
You:but the computer was protected and it caught it, just couldn't fix it
AVG Chat:So that's when manual virus removal comes in, then the AVG installation.
AVG Chat:There are some viruses that attacks some of the system files.
AVG Chat:Especially if its a vital part of the operating system.
You:Okay. I understand what your saying. It's only that tomorrow, if I get it fixed tonight with tech buddy and even install AVG full version, it may catch it again, but still can't do anything about it and I will be in this same boat again.
AVG Chat:I understand your concern.
AVG Chat:Don't worry. Those guys will definitely configure your software to the safest configuration possible.
You:Okay....let's hope.....
AVG Chat:Alright.

This Rep. was professional, courteous and did his job perfectly.

BUT OF COURSE...THIS WAS BEFORE THE SALE

I then gave my billing information and my bank account was immediately debited the correct amount. Plus an international transaction fee from my bank (which is standard), but AVG doesn't tell you that their billing is out of the U.S. and that your bank will charge extra.  Annoying, but not a big problem.

HERE IS WHAT TRANSPIRED AFTER THEY HAD MY MONEY AND SOLD ME THE PRODUCT:

I got on chat with Tech-Buddy (since they deleted the phone number they gave me on the chat log along with all other numbers and prices from the chat) to find out how I go about getting the service I paid for.  Here's the next chat with "AVG Tech Buddy" (THE SERVICE I PAID FOR):

AVG Chat:Welcome to AVG TechBuddy.
AVG Chat joined the conversation.
AVG Chat:Hello. How may I assist you?
You:Hello. Last night, I purchased a session from AVG to have viruses removed from my pc.

there was no response for over 2 minutes, so I added:
You:they said to contact you

again, there was no response, this time I waited and waited for minutes until finally typing:

You:Are you there?

AVG Chat:Yes Peggy.
AVG Chat:Do you have a case id?

You:They gave me the number #####

AVG Chat:please give me a minute while I check with my resources.

a reasonable amount of time goes by

AVG Chat:Thank you for your patience.
AVG Chat:In order to get free support, please contact #-###-###-#### for further help.

You:Free? I paid for it

once again, nothing for  minutes, after a ridiculously long time, i added:

You:They said all you would need is my email address

nothing, absolutely nothing for a very long time, finally, I added:

You:Are you there?

AVG Chat:Yes Peggy.
AVG Chat:Please call the phone number and provide the case id #####.

You:I will, but why did I pay for a Tech Buddy Service if your telling me I didn't

AVG Chat:I checked with your records and you have paid for the virus plan for $###.##.

You:Yes?

No response again!  Finally, after waiting again, I added

You:They sold me on the service with the wording "techbuddy"

about a minute later

AVG Chat:It is techbuddy.

You:Ok, this is stupid.

I disconnected in frustration and emailed a copy of the chat to myself.

This condescending rep should not be allowed to interact with customers.  No paying customer wants to play 20 questions to get a simple answer to a simple question.  After this conversation, I started to have major doubts about wanting this company to have control over my my pc remotely.  After a few days though, I finally tried again.  I finally got the phone number and called tech support.  I had to wait (before Technician even answered) for over 35 minutes on the phone.  When he finally got to me, he was professional, quick and knowledgable about what he was to do.  We were on the phone for several hours while he controlled my computer and ran different programs.  His shift was about to end and my pc was still running a program, so he asked me to call back for another tech to continue.  When I called back, I was on hold for at least 1 hour before they answered, and when they did, they hung up on me immediately.  I waited until late at night and called back, got another Tech to continue.  He assured me, as the others had that when I woke up the next day, after he had remote access to my pc he would have all issued solved, AVG installed and configured and that he would leave a note on the desktop.  Here's the note:

"i have installed avg, it did find some infected programs but it was able to remove all of them
if you observe some issues still, please give us a call back

When I woke up I saw the note, and also saw the AVG icon in the corner with the ALERT Symbol on it (gives a ! symbol when there's a problem with the software or configuration).  Again, I called and this time they answered on the first ring and she was so friendly you couldn't cut the sweetness with a knife - I guess it's because I also received a message that said "To improve their customer service, they were recording my call".  That figures.  When I asked about the icon, after putting me on hold twice, she said the Alert symbol will stay on there unless I bought the other products (like on-line backup, etc....) and that I "just have to keep checking it to make sure that it's not a problem".

Well that's about the dumbest thing i've ever heard of.  How do you know if your protected when your own antivirus software tells you there's a problem all of the time when there's not?

I told her I refused to make another call and want a refund.  I hung up.

While my latest virus might be gone, I doubt any issues were solved, and they certainly were'nt discussed with me.  I was never given a follow up phone call, nor the chance to ask questions as promised during the sales pitch.  This money back guarantee is a complete lie.  I will pay for the services received from the Technicians who were nice and professional, but still am demanding a refund of part of the service and all of the software which I no longer want after seeing how AVG operates.

I have contacted AVG many times by phone, but was disconnected each time (after waiting for hours of course) - and there is no link to contact them by email on their site.  The only way I have been able to contact anyone is by sending my complaints to their "special" sections reserved for PRE-SALES Pitches.  I have not heard a single word from them to date.

I will continue to update this report often and

WILL FILE A NEW REPORT EVERY MONTH FOR NOT HONORING MY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE AS PROMISED UNTIL MY FUNDS ARE RESTORED IN MY BANK.

AVG  -  GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK AS YOU PROMISED.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2011 12:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/avg/internet/avg-avg-tech-buddy-avg-internet-security-avg-anti-virus-avg-free-WORST-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-797870. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on avg

UPDATE! AVG actually gives me a full refund!

AUTHOR: Monster - (USA)

Well, I must say I am was very surprised to see an email from AVG saying that they have given me a FULL refund for the products and services which I had requested.  I just checked and they did, in fact credit my bank account for the full amount.  Good job AVG!  Very pleasantly surprised.  Perhaps this is just one more example of the RipOffReport helping and/or perhaps even better, an example of a Company doing the right thing.
Thanks again, AVG.

Peggy

AVG

AUTHOR: Lorenzen - (U.S.A.)

I used AVG for only a short while several years ago.  It was quite evident even then that AVG was not up to par with other antivirus software.  Although after reading your report I see that things have changed - AVG is actually WORSE !!  Good luck on getting that refund.

UPDATE! The day after writing this report - AVG Responded with this!

AUTHOR: Monster - (USA)

How to contact the AVG Customer Support FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions Technical FAQ General practice How to contact the AVG Customer Support For more information on how to copy and paste the link, please see this FAQ or this video tutorial. If you wish to contact customer support AVG on your computer AVG installed, please use: Menu Help -> Help Online. This way we provide all optional information which will enable us to respond to your request in the shortest possible time. If you want to help online see more detail, look at the picture below: If you have AVG installed on your computer you have or if you can not run the AVG program, please contact AVG customer support through our website. In this case you will be asked to fill in all necessary data manually.Jak kontaktovat AVG zkaznickou podporu