• Report: #196048

• Submitted: Mon, June 12, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, April 21, 2008

• Reported By:Clarksville Texas
AWAI - American Writers And Artists Institute
245 NE 4th Ave, Ste. 102 Delray Beach, Florida U.S.A.

AWAI - American Writers And Artists Institute AWAI - American Writers and Artists Institute, Sexist Hypocrite Bigots Ripoff Delray Beach Florida

*Consumer Comment: Exclusively Marketing A Product To One Gender Is Not Necessarily Gender Bias

*Consumer Comment: What is the problem?

*Consumer Comment: What is the problem?

*Consumer Comment: AWAI Sexist?

*Consumer Comment: The Truth is made Known

I had originally thought AWAI was a good service.

That was until I got to the second assignment: write an ad for a MEN'S ONLY supplement!

Now, AWAI teaches aspiring copywriters how important it is to keep the customer in mind. Okay. Fine. But if they bothered following THEIR OWN MARKETING ADVICE, they wouldn't have assigned something so utterly sexist!

Of all of the products that can be practiced on, why a MEN'S SUPPLEMENT? Why not a business owner's pen that can turn into a letter opener and stapler? Or how about a telephone service? Or business cards? Or, hell, ANYTHING that doesn't hinge on a GENDER BIAS?

Folks, if you want to advertise, go to freaking college! Do NOT waste your money on AWAI!

Mia
Clarksville, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2006 01:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AWAI-American-Writers-And-Artists-Institute/Delray-Beach-Florida-33483/AWAI-American-Writers-And-Artists-Institute-AWAI-American-Writers-and-Artists-Institut-196048. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AWAI - American Writers And Artists Institute

Exclusively Marketing A Product To One Gender Is Not Necessarily Gender Bias

AUTHOR: Mrsdemarco - (U.S.A.)

Not every training program has been infected with political correctness. Just because a company gears a product toward one gender, does not mean the company is "sexist". In most cases, that sort of targeted marketing is logical. Would a company market feminine hygene products to men? In the real world as a copywriter, you may be assigned projects creating advertising for products that are marketed exclusively to either men or women. Also, as a freelancer, you have the power to decline an assignment if it goes against your value system. You can disagree with AWAI's choice of assignment for a training course, but please do not condemn the company for including an assignment that accurately reflects the real world. Your next assignment may be to write copy for a product marketed exclusively to women.

What is the problem?

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

They gave you an assignment for a Men's only product. You are training to be a writer! That means writing copy of all kinds, for both sexes! I have written screenplays, and have written parts for women, and I am a male.

I don't understand why that is offensive, let alone a warning that this company is "rip-off". I have been investigating this company as a means of furthering my education and changing my career. There is nothing in your complaint that suggests that they have not delivered on what they have promised.

Writing something for a male only product, as a female, should enhance your writing background and make you more marketable as a writer, one that is versatile, in fact.

I fail to see what the issue is with this company.

What is the problem?

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

I fail to see what the issue is with this company.

AWAI Sexist?

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

As you might think that the assignment given by this company may make the company sexist, I have to inform you that all of advertising and marketing thinks of each of us individuals the same way. Me? I'm an 43 year old, African American Woman with certain purchasing patterns. And the funny part is, I buy stuff as if I were a teen Caucasian boy! My music is heavy metal and since I'm self employed, I get to wear sneakers and jeans. So, to call a copy-writing company sexist is just silly. This is how Madison Avenues sells to us by putting us in one clump! Now, please, find something constructive and well-thought out to complain about.

The Truth is made Known

AUTHOR: Mia - (U.S.A.)

After I filed my report, their Director of Operations, Cindy Ludgate, sent me a reply.

It would seem that there's an undivulged (in the $500 course materials) assignment that is not offensive. You'd think for the price AWAI would at LEAST put that inoffensive one in the book.

Oh, but I simply LOVE the comments at the end of Cindy's email.

"American Writers & Artists Inc. does not act as personal career advisors nor guarantee employment as a result of taking one of our programs. AWAI provides its members with information about improving their writing, design and photography skills. The executive staff and Board of Advisors who contribute to AWAI's programs are proud of the reputation AWAI has built since its inception in 1997. We believe the information presented to our members in our published resources and at our meetings and seminars is the best and most useful available to people interested in writing and graphic design today. The information presented in AWAI programs is for the exclusive use of AWAI members. Copying or disseminating any information published by AWAI, electronic or otherwise is strictly prohibited. Members should be aware that AWAI is not a school nor does it offer any degrees recognized by employers."

Now let me get it straight here. We're not guaranteed employment, but AWAI *PROMISES* that we'll get our first copywriting gig after completing the course. And if they DON'T give us our first paid copywriting gig, then AWAI has LIED to US!

And AWAI "isn't a school nor does it offer any degrees recognized by employers". So if it's not recognized by employers, what good is it anyway? It doesn't matter if THEY think their information is top-notch. If employers think it's worthless, then it is.

People, if you want a real education, don't use AWAI. I hate to say I just learned that the hard way.

Don't waste your money on AWAI! You'll never see it again! And you won't get anything that an employer values!