Complaint Review: Ballston Journal

• Updated: Sun, July 27, 2014

• Reported By: Reporter1 — Malta New York
Ballston Journal
Ballston Spa, New York USA

Ballston Journal Local Newspaper Refuses to Pay Its Workers Ballston Spa New York

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: So Sorry for Your Upset

I am filing this rip off report against Ms. Angela McFarland, publisher of the Ballston Journal, for the following criminal activities: failure to pay her workers for their services, breach of contract, and writing bad checks.

I am a former reporter for the Ballston Journal. I was hired as an independent contractor, and I signed an official contract for the Ballston Journal which stated, amongst other things, that I would be paid $50 for each feature article I wrote, $25 for shorter articles.

I worked for her for four months and still had not seen any money. I knew something was wrong. I asked several times for my payment. Finally she sent me a check… for less than I was supposed to get… I took it to the bank… it bounced!

She kept making excuses about why she was unable to give me my money. It took six months to finally get my money from her.

I thought maybe this was a one-time incident. Then I talked to somebody at another local newspaper, who told me that he has had more than 20 reporters come to his paper because Angela McFarland did not pay them.

This is her strategy: She offers people a job as an independent contractor. You write her articles for a few months. She doesn’t pay you. Once you catch on to the fact that she isn’t paying you, you leave and she finds a new reporter. She has gone through dozens of reporters.

She has no money. Her newspaper is financially in crisis. I hope that this Rip-Off Report helps journalists steer clear of this newspaper.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2014 07:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ballston-Journal/Ballston-Spa-New-York-12020/Ballston-Journal-Local-Newspaper-Refuses-to-Pay-Its-Workers-Ballston-Spa-New-York-1165134. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ballston Journal

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

So Sorry for Your Upset

AUTHOR: Angela McFarland - ()

I am so sorry you continue to have such ill will so far after your departure with us.  True, we went thru an awful time and worked very hard to resolve our situation and preserve over 200 years of history. Not easy and again, my personal apologies that you were stuck in the crossfire.

Lots of businesses have struggled, we continue to make it thru and I am glad we are able to slowly recover without leaving people completely high and dry. Not perfect but better than bankruptcy or stiffing anyone for zero dollars, right?

I do hope you can move forward. Terrible situation but hardly worth hanging on like this. You are a great reporter and I'm certain, if not yet, you should be working and busy developing your resume--not spending time bitter and angry and posting on sites that anyone can post anything to, whether it's completely factual or not.

Let it go and sincerely, best of luck to you.