Complaint Review: Bank Of America Credit Card

• Submitted: Tue, July 10, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, August 29, 2007

• Reported By:Saint Paul Minnesota
Bank Of America Credit Card
PO BOX 15726 Wilmington, Delaware U.S.A.

Bank Of America Credit Card Bank of America changed account number & my automatic payments from a checking account didn't work Ripoff Wilmington Delaware

*Author of original report: Bank of America resolved issue

*Consumer Comment: Tim,

*Author of original report: In response to Duane

*Consumer Comment: Why.....

This credit card is used to pay for a credit monitoring service at the cost of $9.99 per month. Because the balance is so small in October of 2006 we went on their website and set up automatic payments from our checking account. They worked fine until April. (At which point I wasn't opening the statements anymore because I knew how much it was.) This month (July) we opened one and found that the payment due was for 3 months and a $15 late charge. When we called Bank of America they admitted that the payments were not posting because they changed the account number and they removed the late charge. 2 days later the above mentioned credit monitoring service had sent an alert that Bank of America had reported late payments on my credit report. I have never had any negative information on my credit report -ever. I called BOA and asked them to remove that from my report since they admitted that it was their fault and the woman I talked to stated that due to federal law they cannot remove it. (I called a credit bureau and verified that they can remove it should they want to) I asked if they have an address for a complaint department - I wasn't getting anywhere with the customer service rep - and she said they didn't. Come on, BOA, with all of the nasty things I've heard about you - you need a complaint department. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that one would call me back within 48 hours. I work 60 hours a week and cannot take calls during this time, so now I'm just waiting.....

I don't believe I will be holding on to this card much longer. I know that closing accounts doesn't look good on your credit. But the only thing I use it for is the $9.99 credit monitoring service. The credit limit is $7500 - at 15.24 percent interest - who would want to use this?

Tim
Saint Paul, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2007 05:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bank-Of-America-Credit-Card/Wilmington-Delaware-19886/Bank-Of-America-Credit-Card-Bank-of-America-changed-account-number-my-automatic-payments-259994. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bank Of America Credit Card

Bank of America resolved issue

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I wrote a letter to Bank of America and they sent a letter back stating that they will remove the negative information from my report. They have restored my faith in their company.

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Actually Bank of America did not change my checking account number, they changed my credit card number. I had set up the payments for that card to come out of my checking account (with another company). They did not send me a new card with the new account number, they did not send me a letter letting em know what was going on, they did not email me. I had no notice. I found out when I called them that Bank of America merged with another company and my old account number didn't work with their system so they had to change it. If this was my checking account I would have opened the statement, but this is a credit card that aside from the $9.99 credit monitoring service that comes out is inactive. I cut up the card over a year ago because the interest rate is too high. It started with a teaser rate and then went way up so I paid it off and decided not to use it again. I assumed the payment was coming out because it was working and I knew that no one was using the card because it doesn't exist anymore. They admitted to me that they caused the problem and they removed the late charge but the mark is still on my credit report. This bothers me because I am really careful in guarding my credit. I have never had a late payment - ever. My credit score is over 700 (or at least was - I don't know yet what this mark has done). I know it's not going to look good on my report but I'm going to have to close this account. I cannot do business with a company like this. They can remove the report from the credit bureaus (according to the credit bureau I called) and they lied to me by saying that it was against federal law for them to remove it. I'm a very honest person and like for the companies I do business with to be the same way. Now I know.

Tim,

AUTHOR: Duane - (U.S.A.)

In your original post, you state "worked fine until April. (At which point I wasn't opening the statements anymore because I knew how much it was.) " And that you seen the issue when you opened one in July.

My point is that you should have opened them every month. Look at it like this, if you were opening them up every month, you would have seen the first month where the problem started. You could have then contacted the bank then and it would probably have been easier to handle than now after they accrue late fees.

It does not excuse BOA for creating the problem though. Why in the world would they change your checking account number? Did they ever tell you why?

In response to Duane

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

The first statement has the normal $9.99 charge that was set to come out of my checking account. The second statement had the late charge - it was too late at that point. I was not informed that my account number had changed due to their merger. I am set up on email alerts but I was never alerted to anything.

Why.....

AUTHOR: Duane - (U.S.A.)

....would you not look at the statements? Anyone who has a credit account should look at their statements.