Complaint Review: Bank Of America

• Submitted: Wed, February 05, 2003
  • Updated: Sun, April 30, 2006

• Reported By:Tucson Arizona
Bank Of America
www.bankofamerica.com Tucson, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Bank Of America check fraud ripoff scam Tuscon Arizona

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: rip-off report based political stooge

*UPDATE Employee: There are pieces missing to this story

*Consumer Comment: BofA Employees need to be more understanding

*Consumer Comment: Don't understand why you had a problem!

*Consumer Comment: IDIOTS ! (David from Phoenix and "ANON")

*Consumer Comment: Thanks so much for the hourly updates, Robin!

*Consumer Comment: Has Anon seen the light???

*Consumer Suggestion: BRIANAROBIN ANON. TRAILER PARK COMMENTS FROM FLORIDAIN FLORIDA.

*Consumer Comment: Does anyone in Florida have a name?

*Author of original report: Look, I'm getting tired of the immaturity here.

*Consumer Comment: Boo h*o, sniff, sniff ..it's rare to see such hostility from the original poster

*Consumer Comment: Brianna and Robin are the same moron

*Author of original report: Thank you

*Consumer Comment: Go, Brianna!!!

*Author of original report: Learn to Read Genius!

*UPDATE Employee: Something still isn't right!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: knowledge beyond all the sniping

*Consumer Comment: Anon: Change your headline to read.....

*Consumer Comment: Robin, Robin, Robin...

*Consumer Suggestion: unethical banks will not close an account

*Author of original report: And How many was I to accuse Anon??

*Consumer Comment: To anon

*Consumer Comment: You're right Robin, I am the wizrd behind the glass at B of A!

*Consumer Comment: To "ANON" in Miami, FL: ..What kind of advocate for National Banks are you

*Author of original report: Ok, here's more detail...

*Consumer Comment: Something smells fishy...

Bank Of America Check Fraud, Bank of America Closed Account. political corruption rip off scam con artists ripoff artists fraud ripoff con-artists took us for all we had ripoff artists fraud rip off scam con artists political corruption Tucson Arizona .....

As a young woman trying to be financially responsible in a country of scammers, liars, and theives I thought I could at least trust my bank. I had an account with BofA for three years when my check book came up missing one day. I'd put it in my desk, I lived alone at the time, had a few friends over in the period of a week and a half.

At the end of that time, I noticed it missing when I went to use my check register to update it on the ATM use I'd made that day. I couldn't find it, after searching for two hours just to make sure I hadn't placed it elsewhere or left it at my grandparent's house (my grandmother likes to make sure I remain responsible with my income and sometimes I show her proof to put her at ease).
I called BofA immediately and explained that my checkbook was missing.

The woman I spoke with then asked me if I had misplaced it or if it was stolen. I explained to her that I had left it in a secure area where no one knew about but that a handful of people had been in my house for a birthday party, promotion celebration and a bar-b-que on three separate occasions during the last week and a half. (I usually know most of everyone invited to my home personally and it's not uncommon for friends to bring boyfriends or girlfriends.)

The lady looked up my account information and then stated to me that I did indeed have some checks written over the last few days. One for $80, one for $46.57 and another one for over $90. I told her the check numbers of the book I had and told her that as of that day all checks that came through were frauded. She "noted" my account and said that she would have a person call me back to do a report which they would file to the proper authorities.

That was two years ago. BofA closed my account after the checks bounced and bounced in my account, after numerous calls explaining what had happened to several different people and I'm stuck paying all the bad checks off (and the amount of $500 to BofA which was what I was negative in my account after all the checks came through). I called the authorities and filed a report of fraud but nothing ever came of that. After the checks were used up and the account was closed nothing left to do, right? Wrong.

I've paid it all off. It's my credit. BofA failed to come through for me and I've spent time and money paying it all off for the sake of my credit. Because of this I cannot get even a savings acct. with most banks because of my ChexSystems report. Three more years to go til it will all be off of my report. Word of advice: Don't use checks. Use your debit card.

Brianna
Tucson, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2003 08:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bank-Of-America/Tucson-Arizona-85719/Bank-Of-America-check-fraud-ripoff-scam-Tuscon-Arizona-44325. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bank Of America

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

rip-off report based political stooge

AUTHOR: Kai - (U.S.A.)

Dear Consumer Advocates,

I have had account with many banks since I was a student at Regent University School of Law. Since that time, my check book and other IDs were stolen by Regent University School of Law. Most them are closed because of stolen Checks and IDS. I opened my bank account with Bank of America in 2003. In 2004, I have been working for Delicate China Restaurant until 2006. My employer and Regent University were put together as conspiracy hate group, and stole my ID and tapped my phone without a warrant. They were searching in my room without a warrant. I report those to Office for Civil Rights under US Department of Education. However, the Director of OCR is a liar, and working with Regent University. The person, my initial complaint was Sara Lilly who is the investigator. She is very friendly an honest person. I told her that this slimmed eye people tried to give me a hard time. She said, " They against you," you think. I told her that if it is not and then why they bother me too much. She said, " That is the way I live, don't bother me, live me alone." Now she was fired or forced to resigned. In the world, if you want to live longer, and be crooked like-----. If you are a good person, and you will not live long like John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and Mahattama Gandhi. Now my account was jeopardized by Bank of America for $ 887.00 They are responsible to fix this unethical conduct which was committed by Regent University School of Law and accomplice.

There are pieces missing to this story

AUTHOR: Karen - (U.S.A.)

I read your story and I want to say I am truly sorry for what happened to you. Your story is lacking some parts. For instance where the checks presigned by you? Or wer thee signatures that were made on those checks a close match to your own?. You see I deal with stolen checks daily and we close your account that day and open a new one. The only reason why the bank would not close your account is because they suspect fraud on your part. We have you talk to check fraud and a claim number is given to you, an affidavit is also sent to you. Our fraud unit reimbuses you within 2 to 3 business days. I have seen it!!! If a situation does not get resolved we have it escalated. Why did you not escalate it? There is more to this story that meets the eye. If your signature was a forgery our fraud unit will confirm this with law enforcement if necessary. And by the way the only way checks can clear is if you continue to keep the account open with direct deposit or debits. Did you have those? Tell me more.

BofA Employees need to be more understanding

AUTHOR: Christopher - (U.S.A.)

The BofA (Bully of America!) seems to have really aggressive employees, like the one from Pheonix arizona and Florida. They do not want to share the real name and protects the BofA. It is true that BofA rips weak financially tight people off. It had happened to me and a lot of others. I thinks this kind of complaint forums are for them to see and post apologies not to attact the person who posts. What is you were the one who was ripped off? How would you feel? You would never know since you, David, Anon, and Brianarobin are just the puppets for the Bully of America. But I hope you are aware of the fact that the truth and justice really exists like few years ago, the wells fargo and BofA had to pay thousands of people the money back which they collected for the NSF fees. I hope another law suits hit them hard so their bully operation could be crippled and resent what they have done to hard working people. Bank is supposely to protect your money not taking money away like a dirty little rat in the storage. They are the institution who makes money from other people's money. Not taking other peoples money. Now the BofA acts worse than the loan sharks and IRS. they seize everything they can and screw people over. BofA take away little people's money to feed the puppets like Anonymous Anon. David, and A** HOLE named Brianarobin who is one and only anonymous "ANON" - Angry Non-educated Obtuse Narrator for the BofA.

Don't understand why you had a problem!

AUTHOR: Marie - (U.S.A.)

Not that long ago my purse was stolen while I was in Mexico. Of course I immediately called all credit cards and banks I use. I also have an account with Bank of America in Arizona. No problem. A stop-pay was put on all check numbers left in the series lost and my bank card was cancelled and a new one issued. NO PROBLEM! Don't know why this lady had such a problem and I don't understand why she didn't put a stop pay on all check numbers that were missing. I agree on the issue of "a friend stole the check book" and why would you leave a check book lying around your house. I personally keep mine in my purse and extra checks hidden. (just in case a thief shows up) I also worked for a bank, not B of A, and I find it hard to believe all of this story. And to call it a "ripoff" scam is stupid. Thanks. A Happy B of A customer.

IDIOTS ! (David from Phoenix and "ANON")

AUTHOR: EDDIE - (U.S.A.)

First of all, ANON go back to your hole. Second, David the B of A employee, no wonder people have so many problems with your bank. You people don't even read all the facts, or is it you don't comprehend the facts of the story? I've had problems with this bank, when for a short time I had an account and when I when to close it they all but paniced. After I rose a stink the manager finally did cooperate. An other situation is with all the late fees on my lease through them. I pay on time at the bank so I have proof of those payments. I probably will have to go to court for my money. I'm collecting information for the case now. Also, my realtor warned me when getting a house financed not to go through B of A or Wells Fargo, people have had lots of problems, I let him know I was aware of this.

Thanks so much for the hourly updates, Robin!

AUTHOR: Anon - (U.S.A.)

So nice of you to scour the site looking for my other posts and commenting on them continually.

There is no light to see. I am a consumer advocate, but I don't suffer fools gladly, and that's where you come in. You are an idiot of the first degree, and your cable must have been cut off for you to be so doggedly determined to tell me off.

You have added nothing to the conversation for quite a while, but go into old cluck church-lady mode to put me in my place. Who appointed you the guardian and master approver of all things Rip-Off Report?

Screw you, Robin. Go read a book.

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

Just a note on all this. Anon is all over the place today with an article about these exorbitant bank overdraft fees being considered predatory lending.

Anon, I hope you did some solid research (it certainly seems that you did). And I again hope that some of what you found scared the socks off of you. It did me! Perhaps some of what I was trying to say has sunk in.

You are to be commended for at least being open-minded enough to check into this issue. It is everywhere if one wants to look; burying one's head in the sand never helps a problem.

You have already said that my opinion means nothing to you and that is fine; it is better to form your own opinion based on the facts you find.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

BRIANAROBIN ANON. TRAILER PARK COMMENTS FROM FLORIDAIN FLORIDA.

AUTHOR: STUD - (U.S.A.)

What kind of idiots would argue with someone who is submitting A legit complaint on this website?

Let me guess ANON and of course Brianarobin from Florida. Please do us all A favor and understand that these 2 TRAILER PARKS with the stupid names' are not worth the time and energy to get all upset over.

These 2 worthless clowns' are like the Beavis and Buttheads that we all knew in school. What the hell kind of name is Brianarobin. If it is supposed to be Brian and Robin then fix it before submitting it....

#12 Consumer Suggestion

BRIANAROBIN ANON. TRAILER PARK COMMENTS FROM FLORIDAIN FLORIDA.

AUTHOR: STUD - (U.S.A.)

Does anyone in Florida have a name?

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

Why do people in Florida hide behind aliases? Why do the Anons seem to have so much time to do nothing but spread their ignorance on this site? Who is Elvera? Who is Michelle? Who is David? There is a plot afoot, no doubt!

Anon, your "constructive advice" was useless. A customer cannot get an account shut down if the financial institution will not do it! My advice to contact the OCC was much more constructive as the OCC is looking for patterns of abuses of this type. The incident is too far in the past to be able to be fixed by the bank. The Wells Fargo post I referred to had to do with James from Aurora, CO; I never found any posting by you about any class action suit. You once again rushed in on James as the expert with useless advice and a sarcastic and vitriolic attack on Jame's business sense. James was treated by Wells Fargo much the same way as Brianna by B of A. You respond to nearly every one of these posts concerning banks, always as an advocate. "It's not the bank's fault; it's yours" is your mantra! Can you really believe that they never mess up when you are right in the middle of all this? There is none so blind as he who will not see! I am not saying all banks mess up all the time; what I am saying is that when they do make these huge snafus THEY DESTROY PEOPLE'S LIVES BY DESTROYING THEIR CREDIT WORTHINESS! That is WRONG! Life is difficult enough without having to be subjected to such an injustice.

I am exactly who I say I am and live exactly where I say I live! I do not know Brianna, nor do I correspond with her, but I know an injustice when I see it! I even send my phone # with most of my posts, rather than hiding like a terrorist behind ficticious names. I do take offense at being called a moron; I was beginning to feel that you guys in Florida should start signing your posts with that moniker! Now it's all used up! Too bad for you.

As for how these letters are posted; sometimes they do get posted earlier than the site says. I do not know why. If you could read I would suggest you write the site editor and ask since there is a link provided on the home page for that purpose. Guess that is out of the question since you cannot read and COMPREHEND what you've just read. I thought perhaps the ED was just doing it to see what witty thing you Anons would come up with next!

PLEASE run out and get several accounts with B of A; you act like you work for them already! I look forward to seeing your tale of woe later on this site. I'll send you a fifty gallon drum of petroleum jelly for future use via this site.

Like Brianna, I too am moving on. Feel free to post your insults and names and continue to have your friends come to your defense as well, as you have here. I will read them, but I will not respond to anything by any ANON on this posting. Be warned, however, that I will duke it out with you on another posting if necessary. If you have constructive advice to post, please do. But please drop the habit of telling folks that they are lazy or crazy; it's unecessary and offensive and makes it a lot less likely that your advice will be considered. It is hard to know what to do when confronted with some of these situations that make a person feel helpless. That is what this site is for; not to be blasted as an idiot because one has a problem!

Take two pills, two cups of tea, and try to have a couple of good days!

Look, I'm getting tired of the immaturity here.

AUTHOR: Brianna - (U.S.A.)

I'm a 23 year old female who lives in Tucson, AZ. I don't know where the hell Robin lives or who he/she is. The only reason you're attacking that subject is because he/she is on my side. My intention for my original report was to EDUCATE people on what can happen if you trust a BofA Customer Service Rep (who lied to me in the beginning which caused the chain of events to occur) to handle a fraud case.

The story is true. I've got the Chexsystems report, witnesses, AND police report to prove it. I know I'm wasting my online time and typing skills writing this because you'll read this but will not comprehend the real meaning which is my side of the story. I wasn't looking for an argument or to be accused of not moving my a$$ fast enough for you.

No one really knows how to read on this site obviously. I posted this on the 5th or the 6th, ANON posted on the 6th, not Robin. I posted again on the 7th. Robin posted sometime after that. Learn to read things properly. Maybe if you'd start taking a deep breath and REALLY thinking something through before posting, you wouldn't lower my opinion of you by resorting to call Robin and I Morons. I am not going to resort to name calling because I stopped doing that in the 5th grade. Grow up and understand that sometimes you have to wake up and give a person the benefit of the doubt.

Again, might I add, that I wasn't hostile until the Anon person wrote that it took me TWO years to do anything WHEN I POSTED that I DID CALL THEM FROM DAY ONE TO SIX MONTHS in the original post. Now who's the moron?

Go open an acct with BofA and I wish you the best of luck with them. They failed to back me when I was a loyal customer of theirs for THREE years BEFORE the incident occurred. I hope that the same doesn't happen to you. It was TWO years ago since I had my acct. closed. I've moved on. I was over it a long time ago because I refuse to act the majority of the population and get angry. I did what I had to do, it didn't turn out very well. It isn't your problem so why get upset, ok? I never asked for you to analyze the validity of my report. I'm moving on from this report now, you should, too. Have a good life and next time think before you type, because all you do is make yourself look really ridiculous.

AUTHOR: Anon - (U.S.A.)

"Met with such hostility"? Yea, right. Why, because the rest of the people reading your flimsy story might seem some holes in it? Or, because instead of joining your pity party they tried to offer you geniune insight into the matter or some constructive advice?

You and the sidekick go on massive frontal attack, insulting anyone who dares not call you some innocent victim.

You are a victim of your own dimished brain capacity.

If you read the other reports here, it's rare to see such hostility from the original poster and the alleged Robin, who I also assume is the original poster. You have added no clarity to the situation, only insults upon insults.

What was your intention when you posted?

Too bad you didn't get bathed in sympathy. Boo h*o for you, think I'll go open an account of B of A.

Brianna and Robin are the same moron

AUTHOR: Brianarobin - (U.S.A.)

It seems to me that the 2 posts are by the same idiot. How else can "Robin" add to the "original" post on the same day, since there is a lag time between posting and writing.

You could not comment on the same topic on the same time and get them posted the same day, unless you are the same nitwit, or you are in email contact with each other to compare your posts.

Get a life!

If you spent a fraction of the energy you have expended puffing out your chest on this site dealing with the bank in the first place, maybe you wouldn't be in the mess.

AUTHOR: Brianna - (U.S.A.)

I appreciate your support. I'm really surprised that I tell my side of something that happened with a bank and I told it honestly and I'm met with such hostility.

I would love to live in a world where there is no big bad banks and evil doers...goodness knows, according to Anon, BofA can't do anything wrong.

Go, Brianna!!!

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

It seems as though folks are only reading every other word of these posts and responding to what they THINK they see! You said this incident HAPPENED two years ago; NOT that you waited two years to do anything about it! Sheesh!

I believe every word about the shabby way you were treated. All folks need to do is search these posts under ANY NATIONAL BANK (Wells Fargo, Bank of America, take your pick) and there are numerous instances of folks being unable to get any help with a problem and then being cast aside like you were. Also numerous references to not being able to get an account closed; at least until the banks have gotten their fill of every OD fee and everything else they can get! Then they shut you down everywhere! All these people cannot be "crazy" or lying, no way!

I have never been a customer of a national bank and managed to get screwed by a national bank; how can that happen?? They break the law, that's how!! I still wish that you and all these other folks would tell the OCC and everyone else what happened to you.

You go, girl; people need to be aware of what can happen when they trust these places with their money! They are not trustWORTHY all the time! They can, and will, RIP YOU OFF!!!

Learn to Read Genius!

AUTHOR: Brianna - (U.S.A.)

I did keep up with the banks! I called them multiple times during the week for the first two months that the bank told me that they had the authorities on it! Then they closed my acct. so I called and called asking to have my bank acct. reopened or a new one given to me. They refused.
I TALKED TO THE BANK EVERY OTHER DAY FOR THE FIRST TWO MONTHS!! AFTER THAT I CALLED AND CALLED TO FIGHT WITH THEM TO GET ANOTHER ACCT. REOPENED. They REFUSED.

SIX MONTHS after the INCIDENT I was then told that once I paid off the acct. I could get another one. I did just that. I was upset but I did it. They have REFUSED me yet again because of my chexsystems. Do you still not believe me or do I have to post my #*^# Chexsystems report to you too????

Something still isn't right!

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I have worked for financial institutions--including banks--for the last 24 years. Something is not right here. One time I also found out that a whole box of checks was stolen out of my mail box at my apartment complex. Further, I didn't know that they were stolen until the checks started bouncing.

I immediatly called the bank and informed them of what had happened. The closed my account and sent for photocopies of the checks (all banks photocopy their checks for circumstances such as these). When the copies arrived, I was able to prove that my signature was not on the checks. The bank then filed a police report that I had to sign and I never had to pay a dime.

The other thing that bothers me about this story is that Brianna, according to her story, didn't follow-up with the bank for 2 years! When it was my account, they had to practically install a private line to the bank because I called them so many times. Nope, I am sorry. We are not getting the whole story here.

By the way...the name of the bank...Bank of America!

#21 UPDATE EX-employee responds

knowledge beyond all the sniping

AUTHOR: Michelle - (U.S.A.)

As a past employee within the banking industry, I only want to include constructive comments.

Banking facilities are for profit, this is how they can afford to loan money to those who need it. Every single rule is disclosed in those fine print brochures that no one likes to read, when you initiate business with the institution used, and every business out there has the right to structure the terms however they want - as long as they provide those terms to you up front. If the rules change along the way, you are always given a period of time to opt out which generally means closing the account.

The terms have be clear and concise (federal regulation O as in "Oh, I get it")which means that certain things will be in bold print or capitalized. There can be no fluctuation such as treating someone differently if they are an employee or make more money or have a friend who works there - OR - penalizing someone who is poor, who the bank may be angry at, etc. This would be in violation of federal regulation B as in "Be fair". No undisclosed penalizing or favoritism can be shown. The bank has to honor whatever they said they would do, just as the customer has to do what they say they will.

Another thing that is important to know is that each state has different banking law. Those who state what they know on this site may only be familiar with their own states banking laws. Some states have a 10 day hold on checks while others don't.

A company who breaks laws regularly won't be in business very long as they can't keep every good attorney on retainer for themselves.

I am not trying to defend banks, just trying to give another perspective that may give the knowledge on how to make it work for you. I do see problems everyday that are due to human error, very old computer systems, and employees who are just there for the paycheck. I have never seen out and out lying and attempts at cheating. I do see customers who are frustrated because they didn't read the fine print or who disagree with how it all works. If everyone went into everything they signed with full knowledge and open eyes then there is no reason that it can't be worked in their favor.

with best intentions, mm

Anon: Change your headline to read.....

Anon,

Change your headline to read:"All NATIONAL Banks Will Screw Anyone Every Chance They Get" and you will be beginning to see the light. Not all banks are "National Banks".

Have you actually READ this entire posting? Where did I mention having any problems and blaming them on anybody? I am fairly problem-free at this point, but still am human enough to feel for folks that have been mistreated. I suppose Elvera not being able to close her accounts was her fault as well? You are spouting off about things that you do not seem to know anything about- it IS POSSIBLE to have unwanted accounts kept open in spite of all one can do!

I am not attacking you; just wondering how you can still feel that somehow Brianna is entirely responsible for all of it and BofA is an innocent victim itself? Amazing!!! You have made my day; Brianna should know by now to discount your drivel as will I! You not only went out of your way to attack her, but have now transferred your ire toward me! I suppose if Brianna, Elvera, or myself were to say the sky was blue, you'd jump right in there and tell us that it was most definitely pink and you are the expert and you know! And, if by some coincidence the sky really is blue where we are we most definitely brought it on ourselves by our own ignorance and/or apathy!

Have a cup of tea, take a pill, and have a nice day!

Robin, Robin, Robin...

Robin--

Why don't you save your frothy attacks for the banks? Why is it you have now decided that I am the enemy? Nothing on cable this week?

I expressed an opinion, same as you, and you continue to post to try and bash me over the head with your "rightness". "ALL BANKS SCREW EVERYONE ALL THE TIME" seems to be your rant.

Those claiming to be "victimized" have no responsibility. Even this victim says she was "raised with manners" therefore she didn't accuse her "friends". She seems to have moved on and learned from the experience. Robin, why don't you? What is your problem?

Also, you mentioned Wells Fargo as one of my other posting sites on this ripoff page. Yes, I posted about the class action suit against Wells Fargo in California. I thought that might be helpful to others.

For true victims, I have considerable sympathy and value their contributions to this site. For people like you, who blame everyone all the time for all your problems, I have no sympathy. Some people seem to constantly be having the same issues arise, and you sound like one of those people.

I commend the original poster for moving on with her life and learning from the experience and posting. I don't value your contributions, Robin, and you are abusing this forum by turning it into a personal attack against others you see as not agreeing with your point of view. Grow up.

#24 Consumer Suggestion

unethical banks will not close an account

AUTHOR: Elvera (real name) - (U.S.A.)

This is to the non-sense of Anon:
I have been the victim of something similar as Brianna. This happened a longtime ago, with a Texas Savings & Loan Bank, yes the ones that went totally belly-up due to corruption.

Yes, Anon, I went in PERSON as you suggested. Spoke not only to the clerk but to the manager. They refused to close my account.

Yes, they can MAKE you keep the account open! AND report you to Chex-System!

UNETHICAL Banks will do this and worse!
And I don't know where you see that Brianna was *incredibly passive*???
She did everything she could, and right away.
And yes, this is a forum for victims but not for victims to get chewed out over nothing.
Are you the owner of this website? Why do you go after victims like that?

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is doing things like you do?

You need a little training in the compassion department.

You say you were in a position of evaluating people's credit. What does that have to do with how Brianna got the shaft?

She appears to me as a very responsible person, I don't see any excuses she made, and on top of that she paid all that was outstanding from the bounced checks.

If you are going to attack someone, save it for the real perpetrators.

And How many was I to accuse Anon??

AUTHOR: Brianna - (U.S.A.)

Over that period of a week and a half I had had about 20 different people (those who were my friends and then those who were aquaintences by the gift of being associated with my friends) over 3 seperate times for three seperate occasions. I acted immediately when I found my check book missing. I'm sorry if I waited a few hours to make sure that I wasn't just being forgetful and left it at my grandparents house. It cost me enough to order the checks and I had been told in the past, before this incident, that there was an unagreeable fee to stop payment on checks and also to have certain check numbers (checks) canceled. According to my records, there were six checks left in the checkbook AND I went to the ATM and withdrew all of my money after I spoke to the lady on the phone (the teller was already closed).

I'm sorry I wasn't super girl with psychic powers able to catch the villain and bring him/her to justice. I was not about to call people or visit them at there house asking or even accusing them of taking my checkbook. How proposterous. I was taught with manners and all in all it cost me about $800 total ($500 in Insufficient fund fees, bank overdraft fees, etc and $300 in actual checks written).

I did however give the police a copy of one check that had been forged that I received from the bank (they only had one, according to the reliable people I talked to) and my own signature for comparison and investigation. That was over two years ago and I've not heard anything on it. I've paid those debts and someone out there has some nasty Karma coming to them.

I was not happy with the way BofA treated me. Someone ripped me off, well, oh well. Getting angry about it is not going to make anything happen and it would only add to my stress. I wasn't happy it happened and my hard earned money was spent on that (I sacrificed a paycheck and half. It's only money though). I'm over it, I'm ashamed of BofA but I'm sure they'll get their's in the end.

To anon

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

Check your facts; I personally have accounts open that I have tried numerous times to close IN WRITING by certified mail and these places will not remove my name from the active account lists, even though the accounts have not been used in years! Every time I get another mailing from them, I again send yet another request to no avail. It is not always a simple matter to get this done! I am not likely to travel to Wilmington, Delaware or New York City to close these accounts in person. I did not open them in person.

Let's face it: the bank let Brianna's forged checks bounce around for two months until they figured they had drawn all the overdraft fees possible and then callously shut her down for YEARS; what does the BofA care? They already got theirs. Brianna is the one suffering. In fact, the best thing I can tell her to do, again, is contact the OCC and give them her documentation. This is a breach of trust on the part of the bank.

I lost a checkbook last year; I immediately called my bank and notified them. The bank immediately flagged my account with instructions not to process check no.**** through check no. **** as these checks had been reported as missing, possibly stolen. What is so different here? I use a local bank and they look out for ME; national banks look out for themselves and their bottom line. Brianna's account should have been flagged with a fraud alert; end of story. Are we all supposed to isolate ourselves because someone whom we thought was a friend might do something?

I reread my original post; the word "lapdog" is not mentioned in it. That is entirely your fabrication. Nor did you address one hard issue and have missed the point entirely. Brianna did all she could do, even filing a police report, and repaid what were probably extortionate charges levied by the BofA because she felt she should. That does not sound like a dishonest or deranged or lazy person! That sounds like someone who got taken and will suffer for a long time because she did the right thing!

For someone with a history of being abused by big banking you show a lot of sympathy toward them. I will not be a victim because I will not do business with these institutions. You seem to be unwilling to comprehend what a lot of folks have figured out on their own; the national bank system is as guilty of robbing Americans as any other fraudulent credit card or mortgage company. There are BIG problems in the system and the consumer is entirely at their mercy.

I really don't think that feeling sympathy for Brianna is going to turn me into a victim, but your lack of sympathy makes me wonder about your state of mind. Care for a cup of tea?

You're right Robin, I am the wizrd behind the glass at B of A!

AUTHOR: Anon - (U.S.A.)

Yes, you are right, I should make up a name and city just to please folks such as yourself. After all, I value your opinion very highly.

I am also sure I am the only one to crack the code on using the nefarious "anon" name. My God! No one else could possibly be using that, right?

I am certainly not on the side of banks. I have been, however, in a position of evaluating people's credit in a former job, and I am familiar with some of the excuses. Sometimes stuff happens through absolutely no fault of the person, sometimes it is entirely their fault, and sometimes they could have minimized their own rip-off if they didn't roll over and play dead until it was too late. The original poster seemed incredibly passive for someone who was having forged checks come flying through their account. There is a personal responsibility in the situation.

I have been screwed by banks and through that experience I have become my own strongest advocate and have researched consumer protection laws and I cover my own a*s. No bank in the world can "make" you keep your account open if you want to close it. You can't do it over the phone, you do it in person the same why you did when you opened the account.

Maybe the original poster wasn't clear enough when she called initially, or maybe she thought she was covered when it turned out she wasn't, or maybe she got a phone rep on their first day on the job...but it is still up to the consumer to follow through and make sure their interests are protected. If she isn't willing to confront a "friend" or casual associate with the fraud issue, it isn't up to the bank to leap into action on her behalf. She was willing to let it ride, therefore the bank was, too.

You aren't helping anyone by accusing me of being the lapdog of the banks. This is a consumer action site, not a tea and sympathy site. Don't be a victim.

To "ANON" in Miami, FL: ..What kind of advocate for National Banks are you

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

Anon (why don't you ever put your name?)

What kind of advocate for National Banks are you, anyway?! You are all over the place telling everyone with a complaint about a large bank that it is always the customer's fault!!! You showed up at Wells Fargo and now here you are at Bank of Ameica! You DO get around!

The national banking system is a scandal at this point in time. Using one is like going to the casinos; EVERYTHING is slanted to the "HOUSE'S" favor! And the regulation factor is almost nil! Casinos are regulated much more closely. Whatever problem the customer has, the bank will profit from it and that is it! Period!

National banks are notorious for NEVER wanting to close an account (reference "Joe in the Navy" and B of A). That seems odd until one realizes that every account these banks can show as "OPEN" makes the numbers look good! The American people are on to the silly accounting practices these institutions use to make their bottom lines look good.Every open account is an asset, even though someone within the system knows that a large number of listed accounts are inactive. National banks are also known for their "slow to post credits/deposits and quick to asess overdraft fees" method of doing business. They are headed the same route as Enron beacause it can't go on forever; the bubble will burst!

Brianna had an unfortunate experience in two ways: evidently someone she considered a friend was mean enough to abuse her friendship and she was unfortunate enough to have her accounts at the B of A in the first place! What is one supposed to do when both written and oral instructions to close an account are ignored and one is given such goofy reasons for leaving it open?!!

The sole purpose of this is to milk every possible overdraft fee from the account; nothing else makes sense!

Everyone who is having trouble getting an account shut down at a national bank needs to contact the OCC and tell them, especially if the bank is profiting by leaving it open through overdraft and maintenance fees. It is a blatant attempt on the bank's part to inflate their numbers and increase their profit! Move your accounts to a local state regulated bank and watch these juggernauts fall like dominoes. The "big Banks" love to donate huge amounts of money to political campaigns; where do you think they get it?!! By milking the American people with all these exorbitant fees!

Anon,if you are going to keep riding down on folks about this issue (since you are evidently an expert), at least have enough courage about your opinions/convictions to sign a name to your reports! your failure to do so seems to mean that you are either afraid of something or that your opinions are invalid. There is no shame in having an opinion, but hiding behind that "Anon" title makes it seem shameful!

Ok, here's more detail...

AUTHOR: Brianna - (U.S.A.)

I requested that the account be closed for 6 months after I had the first phone call with the lady who said she would have someone call me back that day and never did. I called back that evening and that was the beginning of a 6 month nightmare.

I don't live in an apartment. I live in my home. I requested my acct. be closed verbally and in writing the same day and sent in the request the very next day, and that all my cards and acct. info be changed. I wanted to close this one and open a new one but they said that it would not be a wise idea because someone had my name and other identification information.

BofA closed the acct. less than two months later for too many checks being bounced. I was told at one point after talking to someone at the bank about the check fraud that "because I allowed people into my home I was still responsible for paying off the checks."

I paid off all the checks and the money owed from the negative balance in my acct. at BofA. I'm in good "standing" with them now but I can't get another account with them or any other bank because of the Chexsystems report. I have to wait.

I have called the police and filed a report. I did all I could do. I even moved and do not have social events at my home any longer. I'd been a great customer with BofA for a significant amount of time and I was treated like I was the criminal.

Hello--

While I sympathize with you on not being able to open up a new account, there is something sort of fishy about your story. Why didn't you just close that account immediately when the bank told you 3 checks had already cleared your account?

It seems crazy to leave an account open when you already know checks are starting to flow in--obviously someone has compromised your account.

It almost sounds like you didn't want to make a "big deal" out of it, because it was probably someone you knew who took your check book from your apartment. Maybe you were thinking you could figure it out, or make them pay you back or something...??

It isn't fair to expect the bank to monitor your account if you aren't willing to immediately close your account and do what it takes to minimize the fraud. Credit is very important, and every consumer should do everything they can to protect themselves. Unfortunately, it was a harsh lesson for you. Good luck in the future.