Complaint Review: bb&t

• Submitted: Thu, September 30, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, October 05, 2010

• Reported By: amazinggrace1 — ashford West Virginia United States of America
bb&t
3800 Maccorkle Ave SE, Charleston, WV 25304 charleston, West Virginia United States of America

bb&t branch banking and trust fraudulant overdraft fees charleston, West Virginia

*Consumer Comment: When Did You Make The Deposits?

I was checking my bank account and i had noticed i had an overdraft fee of $35.00 yet i had a balance of $2.25 left in my account.  I deposited $100.00 from my savings and they crdt. and my pay check as well as my husbands paycheck was deposited in the account and yet, another overdraft fee of $35.00 was charged after the deposit.  when i pulled up the last charge of $35.00 to view the transaction it said there were zero items they pulled charges for.   On 09/27/2010 i had a total of $75.00 in my account and when i subtracted the deductions, it came to $2.25. why did they charge me?

09/29/2010    debt      Your account had insufficient funds to pay      $35.00

zero items

total item amount $35.00

Total overdraft item fee  $35.00

what kind of deal is this.  its fraud, that is what it is. just plane fraud.  i have the copy of my account history.  i just wonder how many people they have done this way. i work hard for my money and i have obligations to meet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2010 04:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/bbt/charleston-West-Virginia-25009/bbt-branch-banking-and-trust-fraudulant-overdraft-fees-charleston-West-Virginia-646007. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on bb&t

When Did You Make The Deposits?

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

Quite possibly your first few words gave it all away..."I was checking my bank account...". Why did you not say "I was looking at my check register"? Because you don't keep one, do you? You are operating with these low balances yet you don't keep records? Amazing! Apparently what has happened here is your deposits were not credited in time to cover the drafts you made. This happened for one reason and one reason only...you don't keep written records with a running balance. If you did, you would know at any point in time if your balance would cover the ATM card usage and if it didn't then you don't use the card. Also, no bank gives you immediate credit for check deposits.

So...how do you prevent this from happening again? You keep a written record of every check or ATM usage and deposits. You do the math and keep a running total. You read and fully understand the bank's funds availabilty policy. This isn't rocket science. I'm absolutely convinced you have more than the ability to do this...if only you would.