• Report: #520819

• Updated: Fri, November 06, 2009

• Reported By: Cell phone purgatory — Bastrop Texas United States of America
Best Buy - The Geek Squad
Best Buy SH71W Bastrop, Texas United States of America

Best Buy - The Geek Squad Cell phone insurance, insures no cell phone Bastrop, Texas

*Author of original report: Clarification on complaint

I bought cell phone insurance, through the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  Ten months later the cell phone quit working and I returned it to the Geek Squad for repair or replacement.

On Sept. 23rd I dropped off the cell phone at Best Buy and was told to expect my phone back in 10-14 days.  Due to computer problems (ironic huh?) the Geek Squad had some problems even filling out the paper work to send in with my broken phone.

The phone was sent in and two weeks later returned because the store technician did not remove the SIM card.  They shipped it back and 17 days later it made it all the way to Fort Worth!!  On November 5th, after 3 store visits and many phone calls I was told that the "technician" had started working on my phone.  What great service, only 43 days to finally crack the phone open to see what's wrong.  If by some miracle the phone should be repaired I guess I can expect another 17 days for the Pony Express to return it the 250 miles back to Bastrop.

I will have paid 100 dollars for cell phone insurance by the time I get the phone back.  I also paid for 2 months of phone service that I was unable to use.

Best Buy should be embarressed to be associated with The Geek Squad.  The Geek Squad supervisors apparently have no authority to make any decisions that will help a customer.  While acknowledging that my phone has been gone for an inordinate period of time, the best option they could come up with is to call my cell phone company and have my months refunded!  After the first 40 days they offered a loaner and when I went to pick it up they asked for a 150 dollar deposit, when I countered that they already had my phone as collateral, they still asked for the money.  Then the cellular person rummaged through drawers and couldn't find the loaner.  What great service.  The only productive portion of this visit was I was able to cancel any more insurance payments.

Congratulations Geek Squad and Best Buy!  You have lost a customer who has spent thousands in your stores.  All because you were too cheap to even offer a replacement phone that would have been at cost.  I will bad mouth your store and the Geek Squad in particular to all my relatives and friends.  Hope the 100 dollars you kept was worth it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/06/2009 08:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy-The-Geek-Squad/Bastrop-Texas-78602/Best-Buy-The-Geek-Squad-Cell-phone-insurance-insures-no-cell-phone-Bastrop-Texas-520819. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy - The Geek Squad

Clarification on complaint

AUTHOR: Cell phone purgatory - (United States of America)

When I wrote this it sounds as if the Geek Squad got my two months of cell phone service refunded.  What I intended to say was that the supervisor told me to call and ask if they would refund my money.  They failed to see that unlike the Geek Squad, my phone company had provided me a service.  It was not the phone companies fault that I couldn't use it.