Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Submitted: Sat, January 06, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, January 17, 2007

• Reported By:Berryville Virginia
Best Buy
600 Potomac Station Dr. NE Leesburg, Virginia U.S.A.

Best Buy Geek Squad Broke my disc drive, removed current Norton Antivirus without permission, didn't fix easy problems, installed unworkable program Leesburg Virginia

*Consumer Suggestion: why best buy simple "they will scam you"

*Author of original report: Correction: ZIP code change

This took place in August 2006, at the Best Buy in Leesburg, VA. I highly recommend avoiding the Best Buy Geek Squad. I brought my laptop in because the sound had stopped working and I couldn't get Macromedia Flash Player's latest version installed properly. I asked them to fix these two problems. The Geek Squad guy who examined my laptop to analyze its condition described it as "scratched" on the official paperwork - no other problems.

Problem 1: When I came in to pick it up, the first thing I noticed was that the disc drive would no longer shut. It was unusable. (The drive was not brand-new and no longer popped out on its own, but it was fully functional and had never given me any trouble in the year I had owned the laptop.) When I brought it up, the guy (whose name is Rashad, unsure of exact spelling) insisted that it was broken when I brought it in. I produced the paperwork, where he had written that the only problem was "scratched." He said that it was obvious when I brought it in that the drive was broken. I was appalled at this complete lie. He and I both knew that he would have written "broken disc drive" if it was broken when I brought it in. The manager came over eventually and did not help at all. I was told I could pay to have them ship the laptop away to have a new drive put in. I refused, of course, as there was no reason why I should have to pay more.

Problem 2: Rashad had not installed Macromedia Flash Player. That was a big reason why I had brought it in, because I couldn't see videos that were posted on Youtube and elsewhere online (the new version was required) I talked to a different Geek Squad guy, who was actually surprised that this fairly simple thing had not been done, and he was able to install it after a short delay. So, the problem was solved, but no thanks to Rashad.

Problem 3: I had just paid $30 for an additional year of Norton Antivirus 2005. Without asking my permission, Rashad had completely uninstalled the program, because it was "outdated." It was not outdated. Many people pay to upgrade the previous year's version without buying the new one, as I did. No apology was given and I was not refunded.

Problem 4: I did give permission for SpySweeper to be installed. The program simply did not work. I brought it to a computer expert at my workplace just to be sure and the guy told me that something had gone wrong with the installation. I was so frustrated that I simply uninstalled the program and didn't even add it to my list of complaints to Best Buy.

Problem 5: I had zero success getting in touch with the Geek Squad by phone. Repeated attempts over a number of days had the same result: the phone would ring and ring and no one ever answered. Other departments at the store would answer, but not the Geek Squad.

Problem 6: After a long conversation, the far from sympathetic manager said he would order a new disc drive and I would get a call when it came in. This was August 2006, it is now January 2007. I'm sure not holding my breath that he will ever call. In the meanwhile, I bought a disc drive fairly cheaply on Ebay and had my dad install it.

I spent close to $300 for the Geek Squad work. (They supposedly did a scan and removed some spyware also.) The only thing that was actually done right initially was the sound, which was fixed. Other than that, it was a nightmare and I lost $30 on the uninstalled Norton, $30 on the unusable SpySweeper they installed, $60 to buy a new disc drive, and $50 to buy a new antivirus program.

What was frustrating was both the very poor and shoddy work, and also the deception of Rashad. He broke the drive, and he knows it. So here's my advice to anyone with computer problems: Support a small business and find a privately owned repair shop. You won't be sorry to avoid the Best Buy Geek Squad.

Rebecca
Berryville, Virginia

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Best Buy

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2007 01:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Leesburg-Virginia-22611/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Broke-my-disc-drive-removed-current-Norton-Antivirus-without-permissi-229085. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

#1 Consumer Suggestion

why best buy simple "they will scam you"

AUTHOR: Annoymost - (U.S.A.)

1.same thing happen to my sister about 2 yrs ago

i gave my cell and my mom number one call my cell that the computer was fix and another difference tech call say that my sister laptop is unfixable so in the long run she got another laptop which is failing "power issus" is was a open box and bb pass it off as a problem free laptop

2.best buy goof squad is a joke they are what they call the last line of defense of fixing your pc " BS "

3.they destroyed a $1,500 sony vaio in 2002 fried-MB,HD,Memory pass it off as working plug is in spake shooting out and "poof" when back they denied they ever say me but i got my money back how "my invoice got the tech name so i sue"

the person who destoyed "denied destroying" my laptop in a ironic twist got promotive to senior supervisor of that geek squad store

Correction: ZIP code change

AUTHOR: Rebecca - (U.S.A.)

I mistakenly listed the ZIP code of the Best Buy in Leesburg as 22611. The correct one is 20176. I apologize for the error.