Complaint Review: BestBuy Corp.

• Submitted: Wed, December 05, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, February 18, 2011

• Reported By:Boca Raton Florida
BestBuy Corp.
7601 Penn Ave South Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.

BestBuy Store#554, BestBuy Corp, Best Buy refusal to exchange damaged products Minneapolis Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: About Susan

*Consumer Comment: You said....

*Author of original report: Best Buys refuses to exchange a damaged LCD TV

On December 1, 2007, I purchased a brand new Sharp 42, 1080P LCD TV; model LC42D64U in Best Buy Store #554 in Boca Raton, FL. The product was in its sealed box, next to the store display unit. The box and packaging did not appear to have visible damage. The Best Buy associate performing the sales offered an extended warranty on the product which I rejected. Best Buy did not offer to deliver and install the product nor did I waive any rights to that effect. This is a product that weights 70 lbs. and it's made available on the floor of the store to consumers. Best Buy does not offer or encourage its customers to test the product before it leaves the store.
I transported the unit in an Excursion SUV and followed the handling care instructions provided in the package. I was also helped by my 24 years old son. At home, after taking the product out of its package, I discovered that the LCD screen was damaged and proceeded to call the store customer service department to explain what had happened and they asked me to come back to the store with the product. The product was taken back the same day, within 2 hours of its purchase.

Back in the store, the manager in charge called to inspect the returned product, alleged that the damages were due some sort of impact and that took place when the product was in my care, since Best Buy had not delivered the product, it was my responsibility to take the damaged TV back home. The manager refused to exchange, refund my purchase, or offer any remedy. Best Buy did not open a consumer case nor filed my complaint in any way. They simply sent me home with the damaged product to file a complaint against Sharp Corp, USA.

I called Sharp Corp, USA and file a case with their customer service group. Sharp suggested that this is a common issue with LCD TV and that I should take it back to the store that sold me the product. I also called and wrote to Best Buy Corporation, to file a complaint. Until now, I have not received any relief or remedy from Best Buy.

All I can say is, that I have been a fool for spending over $7000.00 in appliances & electronics in this store without a single return, that I took the utmost care of the product and am prepared to testify that this product was damaged in its box prior to the sale, that I feel outraged that a Fortune 100 corporation will get away accusing its customers of wrong doing and lying, and for refusing to accept responsibility for the sales of damaged goods and honor the return and exchange policy.

I.perez
Boca Raton, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2007 08:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BestBuy-Corp/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55423/BestBuy-Store554-BestBuy-Corp-Best-Buy-refusal-to-exchange-damaged-products-Minneapolis-289111. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BestBuy Corp.

About Susan

AUTHOR: Tony m. - (U.S.A.)

Susan is an employee of BestBuy so you are best to disregard anything she/he says and comments on. WorstBuy is a ripoff company. Call your state ATT. General and BBB. Also talk to one of your local media outlets and have them ask BestBuy WHY? Don't be afraid to fight back.

You said....

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

You said " purchased a brand new Sharp 42, 1080P LCD TV; model LC42D64U in Best Buy Store #554 in Boca Raton, FL. The product was in its sealed box, next to the store display unit. The box and packaging did not appear to have visible damage."

Everything else you say says that you broke it and expect the store to take the hit then pass it on to everyone else.

Best Buys refuses to exchange a damaged LCD TV

AUTHOR: I.perez - (U.S.A.)

On December 1, 2007, I purchased a brand new Sharp 42 in, 1080P LCD TV; model LC42D64U in Best Buy Store #554 in Boca Raton, FL. The product was in its sealed box, next to the store display unit. The box and packaging did not appear to have visible damage. The Best Buy associate performing the sales, offered an extended warranty on the product, which I rejected. Best Buy did not offer to deliver and install the product nor did I waive any rights to that effect. This is a product that weights 70 lbs. and it's made available on the floor of the store to consumers. Best Buy does not offer or encourage its customers to open boxes, inspect or test the product before it leaves the store.

At home, after taking the product out of its package, I discovered that the LCD screen was damaged and proceeded to call the store customer service department to explain what had happened. They told me to come back to the store with the product. The product was taken back the same day, within 2 hours of its purchase.

Back in the store, the manager in charge, called to inspect the returned product, alleged that the damages were due some sort of impact and that it must had taken place when the product was in my care, since Best Buy had not delivered the product, it was my responsibility to take the damaged TV back home. The manager refused to exchange, refund my purchase, or offer any remedy whatsoever. Best Buy did not open a consumer case nor filed my complaint in any way. They simply sent me home with the damaged product to file a complaint against Sharp Corp, USA.

I called Sharp Corp, USA and filed a case with their customer service department. Sharp suggested that this is not an uncommon issue with LCD TVs and that I should take it back to the same store that sold me the product. I also called and wrote to Best Buy Corporation, to file a complaint.

As of now, I have not received any remedy from Best Buy.

All I can say is, that before this experience, I had spent over $7000.00 in appliances & electronics in this store without a single return, that I took the utmost care of the LCD TV after the sale, that I am prepared to testify, under penalty of perjury, that this product was damaged in its box prior to the sale, that I feel outraged that a Fortune 100 corporation will get away accusing its customers of wrong doing and lying, and for refusing to accept responsibility for the sales of damaged goods and honor the Return and Exchange policy.

I.