Complaint Review: Better Birth LLC

• Updated: Wed, June 19, 2013

• Reported By: shameonbb — salt lake city Utah
Better Birth LLC
3538 s highland drive salt lake city, Utah USA

Better Birth LLC sexual misconduct, medical battery, misrepresentation of credentials, deceptive contract salt lake city Utah

Better Birth represented itself as a birth center with licensed midwives. Their care contract lists the department of professional licensing as a remedy for misconduct, but I found out the hard way that they aren't all licensed. An employee there would not stop a vaginal exam when I begged her to stop because the pain was unbearable. She had me sign a piece of paper that said I was in labor and could no longer obtain a refund. I tried to ignore what happened and conentrated on dealing with contractions. The care contract says that food is available for laboring women. I was denied food unless I submitted to another examination by the same midwife. During that exam she proceeded to touch me in a sexually inappropriate fashion. She then told me I wasn't in labor (even though my cervix was dialted...) and that I should go to the hospital. They would not let me stay at the birth center to decide what to do, I labored in my car with my husband for hours hoping a different midwife would come on duty but it never happened. She treated me so poorly that I was forced to leave. Better Birth decided I was in labor enough for me to pay them, but not enough for them to care for me. The owner, Suzanne Smith, did nothing about the misconduct that I reported to her. She blamed me and the fact that the midwife had english as a second language on what had happened and refused to issue a refund. I believe that her 'no refunds after labor has started' clause is so that they can get rid of anyone they don't feel like dealing with at the  moment. I could not report the midwife to the licensing board because she wasn't licensed. The care contract lists another organization for a remedy for misconduct but they don't seem to exist anymore. The contract says that the business conducts itself according to the utah code for midwives, but they do not. It mandates that they conduct themselves in a way that lets patients retain their dignity, and that they do not misrepresent their licensing credentials. I looked into the utah code for birth centers and Better Birth does not conform to these standards either. They claim they are exempt because they only have one birthing room. They do not carry malpractise insurance so there are not any lawyers willing to sue them. There is no way to report or reprimand anyone who works there based on their conduct.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/19/2013 10:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Better-Birth-LLC/salt-lake-city-Utah-84106/Better-Birth-LLC-sexual-misconduct-medical-battery-misrepresentation-of-credentials-d-1060374. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Better Birth LLC