Complaint Review: Big Fish Games, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, October 18, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, October 18, 2013

• Reported By: zlig — Sliema Alabama
Big Fish Games, Inc.
333 Elliott Avenue West, Suit 200 Seattle, Washington USA

Big Fish Games, Inc. Hidden Costs and Charges Seattle Washington

I purchased a discounted game from Big Fish Games in good faith. My intention was to occasionally purchase a game from them from time to time.

What I didn't realise at the time is that purchasing a game from them "automatically" enroles you in their so-called "Games Club". You don't ask for this service, nor is it highlighted to you at point of purchase that you are subscribing to this service. The "Games Club" ofers the following "Benefits":

* Savings of 30-70% on all games
* Exclusive early access to new games
* Free games with the Monthly Punch Card
* Save up to 30% when you purchase in-game items

When you purchase a game, they discretely show a "Free" Games Club membership, but fail to mention that only the first month is free, and that you'll be quietly charged about $8 per month until you notice and (if you manage to find the link) cancel your "Games Club" membership:

DESCRIPTION                                  QUANTITY          PRICE         SUBTOTAL

Luxor: Quest for the Afterlife (Mac)           1                $ 2.47           $ 2.47

Big Fish Game Club Membership               1               $ 0.00           $ 0.00

VAT Included (as applicable)                                              Total: $ 2.47 USD

I have submitted two complaints, but so far (more than 48 hours later) all I received from them is a template response, and thereafter nothing but silence. I promptly removed my credit card details from their site and cancelled my "Games Club" membership, and notified my bankers HSBC about them.

What impresses me is that this company, headed by one Paul Thelen, is allowed to trade in this way. Indeed, they have an A+ accreditation with bbb.org despite racking up an eye-watering 153 complaints in just 3 years.

As a UK Citizen I would be amazed if a UK company would be allowed to go on trading in the UK in this manner for 3 months, let alone 3 years or longer, so I can't really understand why nothing has been done about these people!

I would strongly advise any readers out there to avoid Big Fish Games like the plague. Just performing a google search about them brings up hundreds of complaints, so please don't just take my word for it.

One thing that worries me is that many users have mentioned that payments to Big Fish stop when they complain, and then spontaineously restart months later. So needless to say I'll be watching my account like a hawk.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/18/2013 08:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Big-Fish-Games-Inc/Seattle-Washington-98119/Big-Fish-Games-Inc-Hidden-Costs-and-Charges-Seattle-Washington-1092838. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Big Fish Games, Inc.