The log industry in general is a bunch of rip off artist and "deliver and run" kind of companies but BK Cypress in Bronson Florida takes the cake. It is hard put all the problems I had in paragraph form but here is a list:
- They claim their materials are warranted for 60 years and top notch on their brochures but when I ordered my home package I was met with substandard materails and huge shipping delays. My home and builder were delayed 6 months on getting materials reshipped, rescheduled, and shipped materials "inspected" to make sure that my builder was not "pocketing" materials. Note their contract states that they will provide "all the quality materials necessary to complete" their portion of the project. But when you ask them to furnish it or replace it, that is the last thing they want to do.
- They admitted to miss shipping lengths of materials and 'shorting' us on other materials which ended up being half the total package and made my builder pay to have materials shipped up to the site out of his own pocket, with promise of reimbursement. My Builder later showed me the letter he got stating he did not uses a "approved" carrier and they would not reimburse him, 3 weeks after the money had been spent, so nice of them.
- I was shipped interior wall covering boards that when they were unstacked fell apart do to rot and/or damage and they claimed that 'I' should have thoroughly inspected the materials when they were shipped for the correct length and quality which is totally ridiculous in a 1700 sq. ft, all wood home. It took a visit from a company representative to get the materials replaced, photos and phone calls from 3 different individuals would not work.
- They also would never let me see what my actual home plans looked like and were things were laid out until the package was sent. They changed the kitchen on our working plans and moved room walls and missed the proper placement of the steps to go upstairs. Needless to say they wanted extra money to redo the kitchen and my builder had to redo a lot of the lay out of the house on site. I bought him and his crew dinner for doing that but i am sure it cost him much much more in lost time and actual time to make the changes with the building department and with me.
- I sat down with my dealer and ordered the windows for my home on august 29th 2007 for a november 10th delivery date. This date was subsequently rescheduled 7 times by the corporate office at BK and then delivered on January 23rd 2008. And when I called the window company about the shipment being delayed so long they said the order had been on the books since september and that BK had not paid the balance on the window package till January 2nd 2008, and note that I had paid for my package in full back in July of 2007. So I guess the money I sent them was used elsewhere, misappropriation?
- When i signed up with BK for my home i was allowed to talk to the office and its employees and they were very friendly and answered all my questions but as soon as I got my package delivered I was rerouted to the legal department and never got to talk to a civil individual again or the operator who answered the phone would tell me no one was in the office. It got so bad that I called form my neighbors home and got through the smokescreen to finally get answers on my shoddy materials and window package.
- And after all the problems that I had and what my dealer and builder went though I have be asked to testify in the fact that I received my log package and the items were delayed because BK did not pay my dealer his commission on the project nor did they pay my builder for damages that they promised him to pay him, in writing mind you - saw it, because of their screw ups and where they didn't pay for windows for 4 months with money that I had paid them. We met and we figured they pocketed $40,000.00+ on the project that they should have paid out in commissions, shipping, and damages.
- Finally, once everything was done and I regretted even going with BK Cypress log Homes Inc. I got a "updated" warranty on the home. They claim is 60 years with little or no maintenance (on the materials and contract I received on signing and paying for the home) has be amended to now only cover the logs if damaged (they just ship the logs to you.. not the labor to fix them) and they will not cover the shoddy materials they shipped to me and I had the most problem with. And added to the warranty I have to provide proof that I re-stain my home every 2 years and they are not responsible for materials that are damaged during the re-staining process. So sounds like they will claim that whoever re-stains the home will damage the home and the warranty I was originally given and a major selling point in me buying the home is worthless now that they have amended it.
Now in saying all of that I will say this. My wife and I spent all the money we received in a settlement where a family member had died plus most of our savings, so we could live out a family dream for him and BK Cypress Log Homes Inc. has totally ruined the entire experience and made this monument to him a sore spot in our lives, the rest of our lives, and in a home that we have to live in and cannot sell because their "suggested cost to build" was almost 2 times the value of the home once appraised.
Stay away from them, note too that the owner of BK Cypress is also part owner in Kuhns Brothers log homes. So neither of them is to be trusted.
B.P. and S.P.