Complaint Review: Blackstone of Denver

7600 East Eastman Drive Denver, Colorado United States of America

Blackstone of Denver Deceiving job postings Denver, Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Please Read

I flew out to Denver to job search one week and I noticed that Blackstone of Denver had job postings all over the internet so I decided to give them a try. I applied and almost immediately got an interview, which should have made me a little skeptical. On their job postings they said they were looking for college graduates who were looking for an entry level position.

Now I graduated from Purdue University with excellent grades. I went in to the first interview optimistic and not knowing what to expect. I met with their president for a brief interview discussing things such as what they sell and who they work for. I felt good after the 1st interview and was waiting to hear back from them.

I received a call later that day from them asking me to come back for a second interview. They said this interview would be something along the lines of showing me what the employees do day to day when they are required to come into the office.

I got to the office and was greeted by an over enthusiastic girl around my age (22) who was considered a "veteran" of the company. I was brought into a loud room filled with employees going through an exercise called the gauntlet where newer employees were quizzed on their product knowledge and if they failed they were kicked out of the gauntlet. During this time my hyper host was trying to tell me what went on in the job which is basically door to door selling of their fiber optic cabling. Let me repeat, in case you have a weird condition where you don't like to re-read sentences this is a DOOR TO DOOR salesman position. I don't know about you, but I didn't go to a good college for 4 years to be a pee on walking through a neighborhood trying to sell to people who are usually not excited at all to see a person at their front door trying to sell them something.

Oh and another part that turned me off from this job is that the position is strictly commission based. Yes that's right, you don't know if you're going to make a paycheck week to week because its all based on your performance. Anyway, after my host explained to me what happened day to day, the president ( or, what I like to call the "cult leader") came in and talked to his followers how their days went. He rolled off with numbers that his followers made the day previous. Then he yelled and cussed on how the lower performers weren't doing as well as the others. He is very demanding of these people and ride them especially for them only making commissions.

All and all the job is geared towards people who don't mind living off of commission. If you want a salaried job, then this is not for you. It is a waste of time money to go interview with this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2011 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blackstone-of-Denver/Denver-Colorado-/Blackstone-of-Denver-Deceiving-job-postings-Denver-Colorado-769931. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Blackstone of Denver

Sounds like

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

another Scumbag operation...

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Please Read

AUTHOR: Sam Nelson - (United States of America)

ATTENTION: PLEASE READ.
  Once notified of this website I was extremely disappointed to hear about this posting.  I would like to take this opportunity to explain what we actually do and address both the remarks regarding this individuals opinion about my company, and most importantly about my staff.

We work with larger Fortune500 companies and in some cases Fortune100 companies (such as Century Link/ Qwest, Best Buy, Wal-mart, Comcast, DirecTv, and Target).  The mission of our firm is to partner up with larger corporations that are looking for new strategies to both produce a higher level of production in their marketing/sales departments and to develop an exponentially higher return on their investments.  Our clients work with us to supplement their traditional methods for advertising.  They continue to use billboards, commercials, telemarketing, etc.  however recognize the limitations of measuring the cost effectiveness of those mediums and also how easy it is for an average consumer to avoid all of those methods.  They partner with us because of our interactive approach to tailor each marketing presentation to an individual's needs. The target demographics we approach for our clients are small to medium business accounts, high-priority private consumers, retail based customers, and we are even looking to explore more with Avalanche and Nugget events.  I believe the old fashioned model of having a genuine, personal, and informative approach to connect with customers is how long term business relationships are formed.  Our Fortune500 clients must at least somewhat agree with this methodology or they more than likely wouldnt partner with us.  Once or twice a week I have interviews tell me they were referred to me by one of their college professors because of our progressive view of marketing.    So we dont just randomly sell things door to door; our account managers have all the necessary information and act as personal agents of our clients to their customers.  My strong belief in this system stems from what I have seen: our company growing and flourishing when others are failing and laying off, the bond that is formed for clients with their customers, and I am proud to say that it is my staffs and my  passion that fuels our company.   One attachment I added at the end of this letter is a good glimpse of Googles opinion of the industry Blackstone is a part of and I encourage you to read it as you conclude my letter.
 A persons opinion is their opinion, but I am not going to allow an individual to call my staff pee-ons (thank you for the phonetic spelling by the way) in such a disrespectful manner.  My guys work harder than any staff Ive ever been a part of.  They are passionate about their careers and they appreciate the camaraderie that exists in our office.  As an employer I focus on developing my team both to improve their current performance and in preparation for overall professional growth. My expectations are also to help my guys grow outside of work, which is why we also focus on charities, personal goals, and reaching individual expectations.  Because of our promote from within policy I know that the more time I spend training my team when they start,  the better the foundation will be when they are able to advance and play more integral roles of the supervisorial staff.  So the training is focused on developing well rounded professionals by means of training others, conducting meetings, and even creating overall leadership habits.  My staff puts their hearts into their work because they know this is a career at the end of the day and not just a job.

Although the reference towards me being a cult leader was pretty comical, the only thing we fervently believe in is the support we extend to each other in our office.  He also said that I was very demanding and ride my employees.   As a matter of fact, I let my guys set their own goals and expectations, which is one of the things that draw people to our company.  Am I hard on them when it comes to helping them accomplish what they set out to do?  You bet I am.  If you have ever had a great coach or boss Im sure it was clear that not letting you fail was the only thing on their mind.  I absolutely do my best to push everyone to accomplish their goals, but I also work extremely hard myself to set a good example which in turn drives them to push each other to the limit.

Blackstone was established two years ago and Im very proud to say that we have already expanded into 3 states and have 4 impending offices in major markets to be opened by the end of the year.   NONE of this would have taken place without the hard work, integrity, and professionalism of my wonderful staff.  So naturally, a person who has been with us for a year and a half and also (who has a work ethic second to none) is considered a veteran.  I dont know how else to say this, but it literally puts a pit in my stomach to see someone publicly defame one of my staff members that was nothing but polite and helpful to them.

One complaint was that we contacted him quickly.  After we review resumes we do contact candidates shortly thereafter.  This is because we are a growing firm and our clients have certain demands of us.  So, I have in fact designed my interviewing process to be very quick, but more than that very thorough. Having opened an office in Colorado, the constant that I have noticed is that many people are moving here and are looking for careers.  So even though I accommodate candidates only in town for a week, the thoroughness of my process is not compromised.  My interviewing procedure contains multiple steps that begins with sitting down with me for a preliminary interview and meet and greet.  After that the candidates we decide to move forward with get invited back for a longer interview so they are able to ask questions, see more of the day to day, and observe office functions.  This is approximately a 45 minute interview.  Our goal is to make sure every candidate knows the full scope of the position and that we get to know the candidate as well as possible.
 I assume if you are reading this it is because you have or are thinking about applying to Blackstone of Denver.  I would like any potential employee to know that I truly believe that our success centers on our ability to put everything we have into our team and that camaraderie is everything. You have to love who you work with and for.  That great work environment and the knowledge that there is a future career here is what makes all of us love coming into work every day.  Dont get me wrong: this is hard work and our business is very challenging.  Thats why I think a supportive team with great training and a positive student mentality is essential to our success. If you feel you are competitive, truly motivated, and have a desire for growth then I implore you find out for yourself what Blackstone is all about rather than just listening to a random persons opinion.

I have to say I remember meeting you during your interview Sean and actually thought you seemed like a pretty nice guy.  I do feel bad for whatever happened that made you feel the desire to verbally bring down others at our company.  I cant even imagine logging onto a forum for companies looking to hire and clicking on a button that warns other companies to not hire certain individuals or specifically you because there was something about you I didnt like.   Careerbuilder actually did help me modify my job posting for your and others information, so I will also clarify here: because of our growing success the position is no longer strictly commission based. Perhaps that was misspoken or you interviewed during our reconstruction.  There is commission involved so people have the opportunity to be compensated as well as their work ethic provides.  So yes we do focus on sales and marketing because that is the industry we are in.  Again, if you felt misled I do apologize, but I assure you or anyone if there is anything you would like to know please contact me personally and I would love to answer any questions about anything.  So if you would like to apply at Blackstone of Denver I look forward to meeting you myself at some point and hope you get the experience to meet with my up and coming managers.  They will be heading up the expansion from Blackstone of Denver into a West division and the Colorado Springs office. Thank you for taking the time to read this and if youre ever in the position where you feel like you have to verbally bring anyone down be it on a website or in general there are consequences that affect more than just you feeling better for a brief time.  Life is what you make it why wouldnt you want to have a positive impact instead of a negative one?  I truly wish you luck with your job search and any other adventures you'll have in life!

Simon Sam Nelson

Article link:  http://sales-jobs.fins.com/Articles/SBB0001424053111903999904576470401457365890/Google-Says-Cold-Calling-Isn-t-Dead

Google Says Cold Calling Isn't Dead

By Chris Prentice

Salespeople should get off their computers and hit the streets to reach new customers. Technology companies especially need sales staffs making cold calls, said David Lawee, vice president of corporate development at Google Inc.

Groupon Inc.'s legions of sales reps have been cold calling local businesses to build the daily-deals site. According to the Chicago-based company's IPO filing, revenue grew to $645 million in the first quarter of 2011, up from $44 million. That's a lot of knocking on doors.

Google could use the same tactic as it looks to grow its own ad sales revenues. This is especially true in the display ad market, where the company trails Facebook and Yahoo, according to data from market research company eMarketer. The company has been on a hiring spree and has already added 4,368 full-time employees this year, according to its second quarter earnings report.

Sales reps certainly have more ways than ever to reach customers, including email and social media.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC