Complaint Review: Blockbuster Express

• Reported By: g — bellevue Washington United States of America
Blockbuster Express
Safeway Crescent City, California United States of America

Blockbuster Express Falsifying rental charges Crescent City, California

*Author of original report: Surprised to hear that Blockbuster will credit me

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: OP is correct in this case

*Consumer Comment: Actually

*Consumer Comment: Am I missing something?

I rented a DVD from a Blockbuster Express kiosk located inside a Safeway in Crescent City, CA. I rented it around 5PM and brought it back around 7PM the next day. I was charged for 2 days. The deadline for rental returns is 9PM. I should have been only charged for 1 day. Reading the blogs about Blockbuster Express complaints, I've just learned that it is a common practice for them to overcharge customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2011 02:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blockbuster-Express/Crescent-City-California-/Blockbuster-Express-Falsifying-rental-charges-Crescent-City-California-679817. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Blockbuster Express

Surprised to hear that Blockbuster will credit me

AUTHOR: g - (United States of America)

I was surprised to learn that Blockbuster mentioned to me today that they will credit me the 1 extra day charge that they over charged me. But, they said it will take up to 7 business days to show up on my credit card. If I don't post anything by the 7th day I guess Blockbuster is good on their word. After reading the blogs, it seemed like that Blockbuster is over charging its customers on purpose since they are loosing the majority of their business to Redbox. Redbox is great, I've never had any problems.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

OP is correct in this case

AUTHOR: Patrick - (U.S.A.)

The OP is correct. This is right from the "Terms" page of the Blockbuster Express website:

Initial rental period starts when you take your Item from the Kiosk and ends at 9pm at the Kiosk from which you rented the Item on the date following the date of rental.

Regarding how it is done in the stores, as a long time former employee we always had a set time that movies were due back into the store. It's been quite a while, but if I recall correctly it was midnight.

Actually

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

JAFO, unless your Blockbusters are run different they are not a 24 Hour Rental Period for the B&M stores. They are due by the end of Business on the due date. So even if you rent it at 11AM in the morning, if they close at Midnight, it is due back by Midnight on the due date.

I do not have experience with the Blockbuster Express Machines but figure they work similar to RB. In that they are due at 9PM the next day regardless of when you rent it. So if you rent it at 5PM or 10PM, they are due at 9PM the next evening.

Now with RB you can get Rental and Return Confirmations to your e-mail. If the Blockbuster Express machines have this,theOP should be able to prove the time they returned it. One possibility is that the machine had the wrong time. So if the machine was off by 3 hours, it would show he rented it at 8PM, but it would also show he returned it at 10PM..according to the machine.

Have you tried contacting them? If so what did they say?

Am I missing something?

AUTHOR: JAFO - (USA)

I'll be the first to admit I've never used one of these machines but...

You rented it at 5PM on Day 1. So Day 1, if BB uses a normal 24hr day, ended at 5PM the next day.

You returned the movie at 7PM the next day. So if Day 1 ended at 5PM, then Day 2 started at 5:01PM and ended for you when you returned it at 7PM.

I would imagine, since you kept the movie for 26 hours, that is why you were charged 2 days. I don't believe they have part-day rental rates. You keep it 1 minute passed the 24hr mark and you are charged an entire day. At least that's the way it was in their B&M stores.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC