Complaint Review: Booksmart

• Reported By: Janet M. — Staten Island New York
Booksmart
5405 Hylan Blvd. Staten Island, New York USA

Booksmart Poor tutoring Staten Island New York

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: We offer a guarantee.

*Consumer Comment: Booksmart

*Author of original report: Book Smart Tutoring

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Students were failing prior

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Students were failing prior

My daughters, who attended a private school were in danger of failing summer school for algebra.  I went to this tutoring service(Booksmart)in Staten Island  and explained that my daughters were given a final take home exam and that they needed a high test score in order to remain in the  school. I asked if they could work on this test with my daughters, at the tutoring school,  to assure they did well.

My daughters received a 70% which was not enough to keep them in their school.  I went to the tutor and asked how they got a 70% when the teacher did the test with them?  They told me that the teacher at the summer school's answer were wrong.  I went to the teacher at the summer school and he told me he got the answers directly from a past regents exam and that the aswers were correct  and the tutor's answers were wrong.

I asked for my money back, which I paid them in cash as they requested,  $340.00 for this service.  They refused saying it was not their responsibility that my daughters did not do well.  My daughters told me that the tutor and the owner of this business looked over this test before  they gave it back to my daughters to submit to their summer school teacher and said it was ok.  If these people are tutoring children and got a 70% on a test they should go back to school themselves. They took my money, told me they could help my daughters, but instead  provided very poor tutoring. As a result of my daughters receiving a 70% on their exam, they had to leave their school. Also, the owner is very arrogant and doesn't seem to care if you are not happy with his services and don't recommend him to anyone.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2013 09:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Booksmart/Staten-Island-New-York-10312/Booksmart-Poor-tutoring-Staten-Island-New-York-1096620. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Booksmart

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

We offer a guarantee.

AUTHOR: Book Smart - ()

Book Smart offers the guarantee of success. Please call the office for more details. The student would have needed to complete all the estimated sessions and shown up on time with no cancellations and all homework assignments completed and on time.  If this is a real person, please call the office. We actually only believe this is a competitor trying to spread false claims.

Booksmart

AUTHOR: mom of 3 - ()

We went to Booksmart when my child failed the regents. The owner promised me that he has over a 98% success rate. My child went every week & the cost was close to 2400.00. He has you sign a contract with him.  My child went for months until it was time to take the regent. My child failed the regent with a lower grade then the previous year. I was furious but knew I would not stand a chance in the court room with him. He is maninuplate & knows how to draw people into his program. I just had to deal with it but learned a very valuable lesson with him & his program. Before you put your child in a tutoring program make sure you check them out completely. I looked on his website & he had good ratings but i think it is himself rating his business.

Book Smart Tutoring

AUTHOR: Janet M. - ()

Yes, I did take this to Civil Court at the advice of the teacher  who taught in my daughters school, who said I was taken advantage of.  Yes it is true my daughters were failing Algebra and that is why I went to his tutoring service.  I did not expect a miracle.  I only asked that they work on a take home exam with my daughters that was crucial to them passing summer school.  I did not ask them to do the test for my daughters.  I only asked that they work on it with them, which  I spoke with teacher at their school who said it was perfectly ok for them to work on  this test with the tutor.

The only reason they won the Civil Court Case is because in their contract it states that they are not responsible for any exams. Also he told the judge that a person in his office, which he took to court with him, was present when he told me he did not want to do exam with my daughters. I told the judge there was no one present, I never saw that person and he never told me he would not work on the test with my daughters and for my daughters to take exam home and work on it.The tutor worked on the exam with my daughter during their tutoring session. The person he took to court then changed her story and said Oh  maybe she heard it from her office.

I did not ask anything immoral of this tutor.  Only wanted them to help my daughters pass exam which would have kept them in the private school they were attending. He also states my daughters did not pass the regents, that is not true, they only did not pass the course.   Also, yes they were late, however, it was not there fault, I was stuck at work and got them there a little late.

My daughters never wanted to leave the school they were in and he never had that conversation with my daughters.  Also he forgets to mention the 70% that my daughters got on the test that he supposedly did not work on with my daughters and was therefore not responsible.   Also, he forgot to mention that he told me the teachers answers were wrong.  Oh and the last thing he told the judge  was that the test I presented was not the test they worked on with my daughters. Definitely not true.  I have learned my lesson and will check out tutoring service businesses a little better next time, should I need them.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Students were failing prior

AUTHOR: Book Smart - ()

What Janet M failed to mention is that she took us to a New York City civil court and she was found incorrect and Book Smart was found not guilty. The judge sided with us 100% sighting that it would have been immoral to do a students exam for them.

In addition to Janet M's false accusation, her daughters had both been enrolled in a private school and were failing all year in their integrated algebra class. They actually failed the regents and had to go to summer school.She called us and they did six hours of tutoring and we had informed her that it was not very likely that they would pass the class.

On the first day of their attendance to Book Smart, they were more than 20 minutes late to their one hour appointment. The girls had also told us that they no longer wanted to go to private school and wanted to attend the local public school. We told Janet this and she discounted it as if it were not true.We had also informed her that we do not do take-home exams as it is immoral and cannot give students the complete answers and that the girls were to complete this on their own.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Students were failing prior

AUTHOR: Book Smart - ()

What Janet M. Failed to mention is that she took us to  a New York City civil court and she was told that she was incorrect and Book Smart was found not guilty.

On the first day of their attendance to Book Smart, they were more than 20 minutes late to their one hour appointment. The girls had also told us that they no longer wanted to go to private school and wanted to attend the local public school. We told Janet this and she discounted it as if it were not true.We had also informed her that we do not do take-home exams as it is inmoral and cannot give students the complete answers and that the girls were to complete this on their own.