liquid

• Updated: Sat, October 03, 2009

• Reported By: Ann — San Francisco California USA
Boost Mobile Nextel - Sprint
9060 Irvine Center Drive Irvine, California United States of America

Boost Mobile Nextel - Sprint Sprint Nextel I was sold the most expensive phone, turns out I can only use it with the most expensive plan... Irvine, California

On 2/2/09 I purchased a Motorola phone to use with Boost.  The $50/month plan they advertised turned out to include roaming charges if I went out of my "region" which I did for work.  It also included tax/fees making the total around $58/month.  In April, I was switched to a "new" plan with no roaming charges at the same rate,  $58/month.

I didn't question the "additional" fees until a month ago when my Mom (5th person I referred to Boost) was told that "no, the $50 plan is $50.  When I tried to switch (3 different people) told me, I couldn't switch because "I was on the old plan."  Emails to customer service went unanswered or the last email I received was "we can't reach you by phone, please call us."  My cell is my only phone number.

As I am now job hunting to conserve money, I decided to switch to "pay as you go" for now.  It turns out the $141.04 phone I bought only works with the $50 + tax/fees plan.  The specific conversation I had with the store rep + the customer service person within the "14 day return time period" was about all the plan types available on Boost.  Not once (I'm a project manager, tech savvy and very detailed about details) was I told, "this phone only works with this one plan."  If I had known as much I wouldn't have bought that phone to be locked into one "forever" plan.

After spending 3 hours on the phone today, speaking with 4 different people, including one supervisor Ervin or Irwin, the only person who was able to explain a simple concept, simply,  is a Miss Kashandra in Monroe (LA?).  I plan to write a letter to Boost and Sprint/Nextel corporate, if only to say that Boost's one redeeming person is this lady.

My thought is that they make it more complicated than necessary to sell what otherwise is a good service, priced reasonably for unlimited text/talk/web.  The problem is that they are not disclosing that there are two $50 plans + pay as you go plan and only certain phones work with certain plans.  Luckily, Page Plus Cellular works with my $140 phone AND for $39.95/month (no fees) you get unlimited talk/text and 20MB data transfer for email/web.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2009 04:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boost-Mobile-Nextel-Sprint/Irvine-California-92618/Boost-Mobile-Nextel-Sprint-Sprint-Nextel-I-was-sold-the-most-expensive-phone-turns-ou-503869. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boost Mobile Nextel - Sprint