Complaint Review: brent hagar state farm agent jenks ok

• Submitted: Mon, October 14, 2013
  • Updated: Mon, October 14, 2013

• Reported By: fe25 — Oklahoma
brent hagar state farm agent jenks ok
324 W Main St Jenks Jenks, Oklahoma USA

brent hagar state farm agent jenks oklahoma Culture at Brent Hagar leads to unexpected costs. See similar report titled "Tried to Steal My Money!" at http://bit.ly/16bY4VX Jenks Oklahoma

As I write this I want to make it clear that I am not asking State Farm and/or Brent Hagar (jenks) to issue any more refund than that which they believe I am eligible for and have already issued. If they feel it’s the right thing to do business-wise or otherwise, then sure – but that’s up to their business decision making skills.

The problem is that unfortunately, State Farm and Brent Hagar’s branch are no different than most companies in being blinded by the short term bottom line – I say blinded because there’s things like customer acquisition costs and customer retention costs. In my case, the cost of retaining me would be the amount of the refund issued for cancelling my insurance – something I did only because I moved out of the state. How then is this relevant? Because they (State Farm and Brent Hagar) decided it was such a big deal to issue most of my paid premium when I cancelled, I will not consider returning to them if/when I move back to Oklahoma.

The issue is that the refund they are issuing is US$15 to US$20 less than I expected (one of their agent’s had given me an estimate) – yes, it’s that ridiculous; that such is what a firm you have been with for years and never been late on a single payment will have an issue with you over and completely deny you at the expense of your return business with them.

Why is this an issue? Because you and I are just a number to them. They may present themselves as friendly and caring about you, but really they (or at least Brent Hagar’s branch in jenks) only care about taking you for what you’ve got.

Keep in mind that as I write this, I do not think the agents themselves mentioned here are bad people in any way. I think it’s just a company that has set up a culture that doesn’t know how to deal with customers. I do not have enough information to say whether the culture I witnessed belongs to state farm or just Brent Hagar branch in jenks, but they do work together.

The Facts:

My situation is not much different from the previous complaint here – it’s about a refund and the fact that I was informed that I would be receiving most of it but when I called in just today, I’m informed that I will receive less than two thirds (2/3) of it. Then the agent saying its not their fault because I chose the payment date myself. You can hear it in their voice, it’s like [Aha! You chose the date, not us. You lose. I’m not arguing or sorry].

About mid-September I began talking to State Farm informing them that I had moved out the state and was looking for new insurance. I still had insurance with them (that is renewed monthly by automatic withdrawal from my account) but was going to cancel within the next week or so. I finally cancelled on Sept 30, and with the bill in my account showing that the next month’s payment had already been charged on the 27th, I called to cancel and request a refund. I spoke to a man (didn’t get his name) who informed me that I would definitely get and I quote “almost all” of my premium but that he couldn’t tell me how much.

Fast forward to today and suddenly it’s a conversation with Donna (agent at Brent’s office) about [quoted text is paraphrased] – “Hey, your insurance cycle started on the 22nd and you cancelled on the 30th; I spoke to them (I’m assuming she’s referring the real state farm – I don’t know) and they said that it’s prorated through the 1st”. Now there’s one inconsistency – where does the 1st come in? I’m thinking they decided to just tack in an extra day – no big deal.

I tell her that in my account it shows that the payment was withdrawn on the 27th of September, not the 22nd. Donna goes on to inform me that I chose the withdrawal date myself (years ago) and that wasn’t their fault. She then offers to give me a number (probably to State Farm because apparently there’s only so much that Brent’s place in Jenks can do) because I’m questioning the refund – I ask whether she can bring them on the line rather than having me call – “NO”. I ask whether if I call the number they will be able to do anything – “NO”.

THIS IS WHERE I WANT YOU TO FOCUS ON THE CULTURE (Again, this is not Donna’s fault – she just happens to work in a place where this is the culture. As business person, you mold the culture in your company – and its shows in every way the company operates. Remember, we are talking US$15-US$20 here. I say that because they guy who said “almost all” had given me an estimate that is more than what they are telling me today by US$15).

Why would Donna offer me a number that she knows will not do anything to resolve the issue or explain it differently?

If Brent Hagar’s agency in Jenks and/or State Farm actually had both of our interests (theirs and mine) in mind, wouldn’t they have mention/warned me (when I first informed them about the fact that I had already moved out of state and was going to cancel the policy), that my insurance was renewing on the 22nd and not the payment date of 27th? They could argue (and it really is nothing more than arguing) that I chose the payment date myself and I should have known better but these choices were made years back. They can see these when they are talking to me (and if they can’t – Whose fault is it that they can’t?). This is the culture I’m talking about – one where we as customers constantly live in fear (legitimate fear) that the companies we do business with have only their interests at heart and if for one second you miss something (like that the payment withdrawn automatically from your account is not the renewal date of your premium – of which you don’t get other some notice telling you this other than presumably the first time you sign up)- THEY WILL TAKE WHATEVER THEY CAN FOR IT – In this case, wel they made an extra US$15 or so.

Why would the guy cancelling the insurance tell me I was going to receive (actual quote) “almost all” of my refund – only to later be told a check of less than two thirds (2/3) had been issued? Either he didn’t know either and he’s rational side agreed that I should be receiving almost all of it; OR he didn’t want to get into a long conversation about it. Both of which point to the culture there; again, not his fault – he tried to help within his capacity – a capacity determined by the culture and information he has.

I know my business of lack thereof will probably not make a difference in the bottom line at Brent’s agency, but surely, if they have more people like me who will not come back after being with the firm a long time – it is business – AND YOU ARE LOSING IT simply because of the culture of not being clear with customers. You lost this business because of 15 dollars. EVEN WITHOUT PAYING THIS 15 DOLLARS, YOU WOULD POTENTIALLY HAVE HAD THIS BUSINESS COME BACK (IF/WHEN I MOVE BACK TO OKLAHOMA) SIMPLY BY MAKING IT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY THAT THE CUSTOMER IS WELL INFORMED. We have no problem paying as long as we are aware of what’s going on but if there are costs and information that is constantly omitted and then it turns into your firm saying “it’s not our fault” and so forth, then it’s clearly your culture and how you operate. However, for now, you can be comfortable knowing that you are not the only company that operates this way – you lack a differentiator. For now, you are still in business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2013 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/brent-hagar-state-farm-agent-jenks-ok/Jenks-Oklahoma/brent-hagar-state-farm-agent-jenks-oklahoma-Culture-at-Brent-Hagar-leads-to-unexpected-co-1091896. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on brent hagar state farm agent jenks ok