Complaint Review: Bridge Property Management

• Updated: Wed, September 23, 2009

• Reported By: Anonymous — Denver Colorado USA
Bridge Property Management
7398 Dakin St Denver, Colorado United States of America

Bridge Property Management Briarwood North Apartments lied. they forced us into a corner and take no responsibility for their staff's actions. Their total inflexibility is causing unnecessary stress and contributing to financial hardships. What a rip off Denver, Colorado

My grandmother is a model resident of the Briarwood North Apartments in Denver, CO and I currently assist with paying her bills due to her being on a fixed income. I am seven months pregnant so I have to move into a bigger place. As I will also be a single mother I can not afford to pay for a new baby, a larger place, and my grandmother's apartment at the same time so I asked my grandmother  to move in with me.

My grandmother spoke to Sally in the Briarwood North leasing office at 303-429-6555 on 8/27/09 to find out the exact dates that the lease ended. She explained the situation in depth (me being pregnant, her fixed income, so and so forth) and was told by Sally that she needed to submit a Notice to Vacate letter by October 1st, preferably by the end of September, so that they would have thirty days notice of her intentions to move out by November 1, 2009. My grandmother specifically asked her what would happen with November since she originally moved in on November 6, 2007 and was told by Sally, "As long as the notice was in by the end of September there wouldn't be a problem".

Upon this advice, we went forward with paying a deposit and setting up a move in date for the new place. She and I are scheduled to move on October 9, 2009 even though a full month's rent would be paid to Briarwood for October. This would give us a chance to make sure the apartment was cleaned to the best of our abilities by October 31, 2009. My grandmother scheduled the cancellation of services and change of address for mail, bills, etc to be effective by October 9, 2009. Per Sally's instruction Briarwood North leasing office was provided with a "Notice of Intentions to Vacate" letter on September 21, 2009.

My grandmother was contacted September 22, 2009 by Jean Hoffmeister (Briarwood North Manager) stating that though the letter shows an October move out date my grandmother was responsible for the rent, Conservice, and Excel bills through November 30, 2009 per her lease agreement. Jean went on to state that the rent for November would be due by the 5th or would be subject to roughly $3200 worth of fees, it would incur late fees, be passed on to their lawyers , and have an eviction placed on my grandmother's credit report! My grandmother reminded them that she'd been with them for a total of three years (two years with Briarwood which came after transferring her lease from their sister company, One Dartmouth Place in Aurora, CO, after she'd already completed a one year lease) and had never missed or been late on a payment.  She advised them that she was a Senior Citizen on a fixed income relying on help from her single-mother pregnant granddaughter, could not afford to pay for two places at once, and only set the dates in October per Sally's advice in August.

She was told by Jean that she apologized that she was given the wrong information but it ultimately didn't matter what Sally told her. The exact words were, "What's said verbally is outweighed by what's in black and white". Jean then suggested that my grandmother go hang up posters at schools to see if she could find someone to sub-lease the apartment for one month!

It is completely understood that a contract is a contract and legalities are legalities but when you are dealing with someone in a fragile state of mind (especially a Senior Citizen) it would be greatly appreciated if they weren't provided with inaccurate information and then held accountable for someone else's mistakes. It ultimately comes down to my grandmother never being provided with a copy of the second year lease terms after the management company changed in the Fall of 2008 resulting in her having to call the leasing office to get the terms of her contract.

On top of all of our many other moving and prenatal expenses, my grandmother (and I) are now responsible for coming up with an additional $550.00 plus Excel, and Conservice for an apartment that she won't be living in due to the advice of the Briarwood North Apartments staff otherwise have fees totaling over five times the rent and adverse action on her credit! I am deeply upset by the actions of Briarwood North and its management team. I am even more saddened by their inflexibility when asked what kind of payment arrangements could be made seeing as this was partially the fault of one of their employees. This is indeed the WORST customer service experience I've ever had resulting in unnecessary stress on my grandmother and my unborn child.  PLEASE HELP!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/23/2009 07:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bridge-Property-Management/Denver-Colorado-80221/Bridge-Property-Management-Briarwood-North-Apartments-lied-they-forced-us-into-a-corner-a-499058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bridge Property Management