flight

• Submitted: Sat, December 13, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, December 13, 2008

• Reported By:Nampa Idaho
Broadcasters Training Network
120 West Dayton Edmonds, Washington U.S.A.

Broadcasters Training Network And Those Involved BTN, A Waste of Time and Money Edmonds Washington

I contacted BTN back in early 2005. I have been wanting to get into broadcasting for as long as I could remember. I was willing to take a risk and pull some money out of my savings to make a change and do something I was passionate about.

I should have known that something wasn't quite right when the first rep I had been working with, just dropped off the radar. A few weeks went by and then I received a call from Chris Gilbertson, who was a very nice gentleman who was eager to help me out and get me a mentor.

Chris came back a few days later and paired me up with someone who to this day I still talk to. I went through all the training with my mentor. My mentor was great. My mentor was a well known talk show host in my area who was working for Clear Channel with 6 stations in the building. I was introduced to a lot of people and they were all very nice to me.

Although I never was able to work in a real studio, I always had use my own mic and tape recorder for my lessons. I never learned how to work the boards or even put on a set of head phones.

I asked about leaning the boards, and I was basically told that I would need to hire a board op to teach me. Needless to say, I wasn't going lay down anymore money than the 5,000 I already paid.

After I received my diploma, I thought I was finally going to be able to do something that I wanted to do. I soon found out that this was going to be harder than I thought.

I contacted BTN several times through email and phone calls with no response. I sent out demo's to every radio station in my area and areas I would be willing to move to. I never received any call backs. Even to this day, I still send out demo's and nothing.

Although I didn't badger BTN about the piss poor quality of their business, I did try every few months to get someone to contact me. No response. I 2008, I wrote a letter to BTN about my experience and how I would have been better off throwing my $5,000 out the window of my car. I finally got a response. When they asked how they could help, I just replied, I want a radio job.

I didn't care what I was doing. I just wanted my foot in the door and I would do the rest. I never received a response from that point on. I went to the website a few weeks later and seen that it had been shut down and nobody is around to take any calls.

I am a honest hard working American trying to live a simple dream. I wasn't asking for fame or fortune. I had high hopes and now I have to get up and go to a job that just barely pays the bills.

Thanks BTN, your diploma doesn't mean anything out in the real world.

Denny
Nampa, Idaho

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/13/2008 10:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Broadcasters-Training-Network/Edmonds-Washington-98020/Broadcasters-Training-Network-And-Those-Involved-BTN-A-Waste-of-Time-and-Money-Edmonds-Wa-401154. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Broadcasters Training Network