• Report: #822002

• Updated: Thu, January 12, 2012

• Reported By: Ticked Homeowner — Maricopa Arizona United States of America
Brown | Olcott, PLLC
190 West Magee Road, #182 Tucson, Arizona United States of America

Brown | Olcott, PLLC Unethical debt collection, excessive legal fees Tucson, Arizona

This law firm was retained by my HOA to collect $642 in past due fees. Their original letter to me included the notice of lien and stipulated I must contact them within 30 days to make payment OR request an itemization of the $1040 they claimed I owed on the lien notice.
I contacted the office to request an itemization and received this itemization approximately a week later in mid-December. The itemization and accompanying letter arrived outside the original 30 days from the first notice, specified only the original $1040 and did not specify a new time frame, nor did the information specify when or what additional charges that may occur.

The itemization included my $642 in HOA assessments and fees in addition to $400 of legal fees.
I contacted the office today to pay this bill and I've been informed my bill now includes an additional $463 of legal fees because I didn't respond within the "timeframe specified." But I did respond when I requested the itemization.

I understand that I owe the HOA bill and, per my CC&Rs, reasonable attorney fees for the collection process. But I can hardly believe that $863 in legal fees to collect at $640 bill is reasonable.

Without notice of timeframe the attorney's office has filed a lawsuit against me originating from $642 in back assessments, late and demand fees from the HOA. Their legal fees now come to $863 to collect $642.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2012 07:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brown-Olcott-PLLC/Tucson-Arizona-85704/Brown-Olcott-PLLC-Unethical-debt-collection-excessive-legal-fees-Tucson-Arizona-822002. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brown | Olcott, PLLC