Complaint Review: Brown's Energy Services LLC

• Updated: Thu, August 08, 2013

• Reported By: Argyle — New York New York
Brown's Energy Services LLC
9 Sommers Lane Staten Island, New York USA

Brown's Energy Services LLC AKA Brown's Fuel Services Ripoff, contract shyster, energy bill altering ESCO Staten Island New York

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Remove Complaint

*Author of original report: Problem was salesman, not company

This company is an ESCO, and, like many others in the de-regulated New York City market, they send solicitors door to door to pester people to sign up for their service.  They promise a lower rate for electricity supply than the variable market rate normally provided by ConEdison.

One day, a young man approached me as I was exiting my apartment (he wouldn't let me pass him in the narrow hallway without listening to his pitch...should have been a sign that it was a scam, but I was in a good mood that day and wanted to barrage him with questions about energy, which he obligingly answered). He told me explicitly that he was offering to sign me up for a fixed rate of $0.105/kWh (which is roughly the same as average of the variable rate provided by ConEd).  When I received my first bill, the rate exceeded $0.15/kWh.  I was also told explicitly that by signing with their ESCO, I would be eliminating from my electic bill various other small charges related to supply and delivery.  Upon comparing prior bills and current, no such charges were eliminated or even reduced.

This company cons people into signing contracts for more expensive energy supply than they already have, and offers nothing in return - not higher quality energy, or more socially or environmentally friendly energy - just hassle.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2013 10:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Browns-Energy-Services-LLC/Staten-Island-New-York-10314/Browns-Energy-Services-LLC-AKA-Browns-Fuel-Services-Ripoff-contract-shyster-energy-bi-1074350. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brown's Energy Services LLC

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Remove Complaint

AUTHOR: BrownsEnergy - ()

I am happy to hear that you feel our company did not wrong you and that it was the behavior of one of many independent contractors that gave your wrong information.  However, we would still like to make things right.  When he visited you, you must have signed paperwork in order for us to process the enrollment.  Very clearly on the front page of the paperwork were the terms of the deal listing whether you signed a fixed or variable rate.  If your paperwork says fixed and you did not get a fixed rate, we will certainly refund you the difference.

Further, since you wish to close this complaint since you feel it was not a reflection of our company and just a contractor can you please work on having this website removing the complaint.  It is the second item that shows up when you google our name is extremely damaging to the reputation that we have built in the industry for over 50 years.

Problem was salesman, not company

AUTHOR: Ogrel - ()

According to the company (Brown's Energy Services LLC), their door to door salesmen are not permitted to sign up customers for fixed-rate plans, and, despite the salesman stating explicitly that he was offering that option (and not mentioning a variable-rate plan at all), he was signing me up for a variable rate plan.  After speaking to them about this, I consider the issue to be with the particular salesman, not the company as a whole.

I consider this issue now resolved and have terminated my contract with them amicably.