Complaint Review: Butcher's Choice Meats

• Submitted: Fri, October 27, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, October 31, 2006

• Reported By:Bolingbrook Illinois
Butcher's Choice Meats
Romeoville, Illinois Romeoville, Illinois U.S.A.

Butcher's Choice Meats, Door-to-door Rip Off Scam!!! CONSUMERS BEWARE OF THESE DOOR-TO-DOOR SCAM ARTISTS. Do not let then in your home or garage. CALL THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY!!! They are scam artists selling outdated and very bad meat. They have no license to sell meat door-to-door in your town. C Romeoville, IL Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Nepotism, family affairs, and the MEAT MAN

*Author of original report: Yes Robert it's just you

*Author of original report: Shut them down we Will!!!

*Consumer Comment: They aren't all ripoff artists

*Consumer Comment: They aren't all ripoff artists

*Author of original report: Hi Peter

*Consumer Suggestion: A few well placed "No Soliciting" signs do the trick!

*Consumer Comment: How about using some good ol' common sense ...

*Consumer Comment: They would never get in my house

*Consumer Suggestion: Some ways to avoid these kind of people.

*Consumer Comment: I'll offer up how it is a ripoff...

*Consumer Suggestion: Well, now

*Consumer Comment: Interesting

Butcher's Choice is one of the biggest door-to-door meats sells scams making it's way around the country. Make certain you call the police when you see these scam artists in your neighborhood. They tried their on me and got a helleva surprise.

My best friend purchased two boxes of steaks from these assholes, we asked for licenses and a guarantee of freshness of their meats and the two employees that sold us this dog food promised that it was worth the cost. $440.00. Later we had concerned and we attempted to contact the company, but had to telephone number or address info.

When we searched online we found this website. I was in my car on my laptop and immediately stopped by a branch of my bank and stopped payment on the check we gave them. It was done in the "nick of time" because I learned that they were at my bank attempting to cash the check as I was having it stopped.

The meat is dog food and they give no refunds, no matter what. Do not buy from them, call the police if you see them in your neighborhood. They are scam artists we no license or permits to sell uninspected meat door-to-door in your town.

Daniel
Bolingbrook, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/27/2006 09:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Butchers-Choice-Meats/Romeoville-Illinois-60446/Butchers-Choice-Meats-Door-to-door-Rip-Off-Scam-CONSUMERS-BEWARE-OF-THESE-DOOR-TO-DOO-217948. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Butcher's Choice Meats

Nepotism, family affairs, and the MEAT MAN

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

This story gets more and more interesting with every "update" from the author.

It sounds as though the meat-man is getting scammed not only by this individual, but by the entire town who seems to be related to this individual in some way.

I'm sure the meat-man will learn his lesson as he gets what's coming to him. And the author will be laughing with glee as he waves bu-bye to the meat-man with his congenital 6-fingered hand, as he devours $440 worth of perfectly good meat that he managed to obtain using unscrupulous means.

Yes Robert it's just you

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

I am a account executive with Verizon. At the time these fools came to my house, I was in my driveway on the phone, trying to verify some information with a client. I had my laptop and was online for that purpose.

If they are legit, then why do they not obtain licenses or permits before they arrive in an area to make their sells. Why do police officers stop their vehicles and ticket them for solicitation. WHY?

Why after repeated warnings were their vehicle towed for solicitating without a permit and/or license. WHY? You have answers for this?

The thread is real. You do'nt believe it is real, show up at my house in a Butcher's Choice Meat truck, and watch it get towed.

Shut them down we Will!!!

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

Okay, this my final take on this matter. The meat was no good and the check got cancelled, now take me to court. I told them to come pick up the meat, they never showed up. I waited three days over the weekend, and they were still no shows.

In my town, they are barred from selling their uninspected meat door-to-door. I know this because the matter was brought up at our town board metting, where my sister is an recently elected member.

My sister is also married to one of the judges that sat on the court in which a law suit would be filed. This company has a number of complains pending in court already. One complain was filed two months ago by a lady who is the wife of the Captain for the police dept. where Butcher's Choice is located. This is an Election year.
Good luck with any suit. Please do'nt ask for a jury trial, because you want find many peers in our county.

In the next few weeks we will launch a massive fraud awareness campaign against Butcher's Choice. The drivers have no valid driver's licenses, no permits or licenses to sell meat door-to-door.

I watched a local police officer tow one of their trucks this morning. Shut them we will.

They aren't all ripoff artists

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Back home in NC, there are several in the county. They sell good meat, by any standard. They have regular customers.

Buying $440 worth of meat seems a bit high. How many pounds did you buy? Enough for a year, or more? Most people buy about 20-30 lbs of beef, and these guys toss in a few packs of hotdogs, and chicken wings.

My family buys everything from the grocery store, including meat. But I did have one of these guys trade me meat for repair work. It was good. Perfectly fine Filet Mignon, each individually packaged. If you buy them online, or mail order, it's theb exact same thing.

I think the OP started realizing how much meat he just got, and had nowhere to keep it. Either that, or he realized spending that much was silly, and had better things to do with his money.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the meat-man takes Daniel to court for nonpayment. I doubt the Judge will be very concerned about his description of the meat, as the meat-man will no doubt have samples with him.

I still don't see how the meat-man did all of this. He forced his way into Daniel's house(several times apparently in order to bring $440 worth of meat into the place), and then forced Daniel to write a check to cover the expense.

It seems very odd how this happened to an adult male. It seems a bit farfetched that Daniel just happened to be online while driving his car.

Is it just me, or does this thread look fake?

They aren't all ripoff artists

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Is it just me, or does this thread look fake?

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

I still do not see how they "forced" their way into your home. Did they have guns? Did they grab for your housekeys? The only thing I gather from your postings is that you unwisely LET THEM IN.

Second, no one "forced" you to buy the meat. Did they grab your wallet and take out $440 and leave a case of meat behind? Did they steal your checkbook or credit card? Um, no again. You admit to writing out a check yourself (which you later canceled).

How do you know for sure that this is "un-inspected meat" anyway? Just because it is frozen on arrival means nothing. Traveling food services ALWAYS sell frozen goods. This is because it is safer to transport them this way, from a food handling perspective. How do you expect RAW meat to hold up when being transported in a van?

If you truly were interested in buying $440 worth of meat at the time, I'm sure they would have let you thaw at least ONE of the steaks in running water so you could examine it for freshness. That is, if you bothered to request this (and it appears that you didn't).

Hi Peter

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

You obviously work for Butcher's Choice Meats. They did push their way into my home. These con men drive around town searching for individuals they see driving into the driveway or entering the home.

They then walk up to you while you are in your driveway or garage and claim to have been sent by your neighbor as a person interested in buying meat.

The meat is completely frozen, you can always tell when meat is no good until after it has thawed out. Once you make that determination you take action you receive a fefund. In the case of Butcher's Choice, there is no refunds, only more bad meat.

I was lucky to stop payment on my check before they cashed it. They never came to pick up the meat. Why? Because I told them I had called the police about the situation. They knew they could no sell un-inspected meat door-to-door in my town. Something I learned when I brought the company to the attention of the police.
The have no licenses or permit to sell door-to-door meat. No municipality would issue any license or permit for this kind of sells without evident of State & Government inspection of the food items they are selling.

The next time they come in my town they will answer to the law.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

A few well placed "No Soliciting" signs do the trick!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I stop solicitors before they get started. I never speak to or buy anything from ANY solicitor. Nowadays, it is simply dangerous to have door to door sales.

I have a few well placed NO Soliciting signs and that is the end of the conversation. If someone still comes to my door, I can LEGALLY assume they are there to hurt me. I like this particular Florida Law.

That meat scam is one of the oldest around and should be avoided.

How about using some good ol' common sense ...

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Remember what your mother told you when you were little ... NEVER OPEN THE DOOR TO STRANGERS. The last time I looked, traveling meat-men were strangers. Don't open the door to them and there will be no chance of them "bullying" you into buying something. See?? Good ol' common sense!

And by the way, if the traveling meat-men "force" their way into your home, call 911 immediately and report a home invasion. After all, that is what it is. Perhaps a little action will tell these traveling meat-men that they are not welcome.

They would never get in my house

AUTHOR: Angelina - (U.S.A.)

I don't care how well trained they are at selling. I am not easily persuaded to do anything I do not want to do. My husband always tells me I am the most strong willed and minded girl he ever met.

Also, telling them you are a vegan, leaves them nothing to go on. They may continue to try to push, but just close the door. I am a vegan, so the thought of this crap in my house, turns my stomach.

If they really are becoming aggressive and forceful, call 911.

And to the person who stopped payment on the $440.00 check, you do plan on returning the meat right?? You wouldn't want them filing a rip off report on you here, saying you stole their product by stopping payment on your check.

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Some ways to avoid these kind of people.

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

My first advice to avoid this kind of problem is to use local well known merchants only.

If a sales person comes to the door, immediately tell them you're not interested and close the door. Do not, under any circumstances get into an argument with them, they are trained to handle exceptions effectively. If they do get pushy, step out of the house and close the door so they can't force their way in, preferably have a phone in your hand. If they get too obnoxious, call the police while they are standing there.

Just keep saying no until they believe it and don't let them draw you into doing something irrational. Don't let them get started.

This always works for me.

I'll offer up how it is a ripoff...

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

They use extremely high pressure sales tactics. I have seen reports where these guys have bullied their way into people's homes and started loading their product into people's freezers before the sale is even closed.

The meat is often bought from bulk suppliers after it had reached its sell-by date and these operators marinate it to hide the spoiled taste and freeze it to keep the customers from giving it a good inspection. Dog food is an apt description; that is what it is supposed to be used for.

The meat is way over-priced, even for choice cuts, but they play that off by claiming that because they trim the fat and bones your purchase is all "quality" meat...a flat out lie, the meat is barely fit for human consumption.

Number one, use some common sense and never buy meat from a guy with a freezer in the back of a pickup truck.

Number two, if these clowns do show up ask to see their occupational license, door to door sales permit or approval from the county health department. They don't have any of those things, and tell them if they don't leave you will call the police, as you're picking up the phone.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

Well, now

AUTHOR: Jackie - (U.S.A.)

It probably was frozen & looked fine, but ended up being really tough. I'd never spend that much on meat, though! Especially door-to-door!

Interesting

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

I am trying to figure out how it is a "rip off" when a person willingly, voluntarily purchases $440 worth of meat.

One would think that before spending that much money on something, regardless of what that item is, that one would examine it for quality and resolve any potential uncertainties BEFORE handing over the money.

I cannot help but wonder, did this individual in this case bother to inspect the meat, or did his/her stomach and appetite basically control the entire transaction? Also - just because someone else may have posted a complaint about this company long ago, why do you automatically believe that whatever alleged rip off extends to you as well?

I can only assume that the meat must have looked and smelled pretty good for someone to shell out $440. Most reasonable people would not spend such a great amount of money on meat that resembles "dog food" as the OP claims.