Complaint Review: Buy Rite

• Reported By: Misty M — Easley South Carolina
Buy Rite
7080 White Avenue Spartanburg, South Carolina USA

Buy Rite Joe This guy is a CROOK!!!! Spartanburg South Carolina

*Author of original report: Let me add...

*Consumer Comment: Why?

I found my daughter a car on Craigslist. called Joe and he told me to come to his car lot and they would be there until 7.  I got there about 2 pm.  Keep in mind I borrowed money for this car, she is 16 years old and will be paying the loan from her check she gets from where her dad was killed.  She is an honor student and deserved a good car.  Joe was not there but his nephew Sean Walker was.  We brought a mechanic with us to drive the car.  The test drive was short and the car never got hot, drove well, looked good too.   The motor was clean, now I know it was too clean. We purchased this car that day. (8/24/13) I wrote a $200 check and gave him the rest of the $3669.75 in cash.  We left the lot at 3:05 and stopped for gas since it was literally about to run out, the mechanic was afraid he was going to run out on the test drive.  We made it 7 miles up the road, less than 10 min we had owned this car.  It was smoking from the hood.  I called Joe on his cell phone, he said it was the valve cover and it needed to be tightened down.  He said he told "them" to tighten it before it was sold.  I told him I was on my way back to his lot with the car.  That call was was placed at 3:26pm and by 3:35 I was back on his lot to find it locked up and his nephew was gone.  A couple pulled up to look at a car and said they were told someone would be there for them to see a truck at 4pm.  I called Joe with them standing there and he said "oh, we close at 3pm."  Well he told the other couple they could come at 4 and told me I could come as late as 7.  He took my daughters money and ran when he knew I was coming back.  The police said I had to get the car home, tow it or drive it and I couldn't leave it there.  We had to chance getting the car home.  We had a mechanic of 55 years check the car.  He found glass in the coolant, a leak from the valve cover...and by the way the gasket on valve was not new and once you remove the cover you have to replace the gasket.  He also found numerous oil and water leaks.  The car cannot be driven.  I had him order new gaskets for the head.  We go tomorrow to see if the heads are cracked and that will cost another $100 PLUS over $100 for the gaskets.  If it can be shaved down I'm looking at hundreds more.  The salesman told me that on Kelly Blue Book the car was worth $7000...seems he was off by $5000.  The car is worth nothing if she can't drive it!  This guy told me to "sue him."  I have reported him to the BBB, here and plan on calling the media!  Stay away from this crook!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/25/2013 08:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Buy-Rite/Spartanburg-South-Carolina-29303/Buy-Rite-Joe-This-guy-is-a-CROOK-Spartanburg-South-Carolina-1078864. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Buy Rite

Let me add...

AUTHOR: Misty m - ()

My mechanic I brough was there to look for LARGE problems.  I took the car to a different mechanic after it left my daughter STRANDED.  Seems that the starter went out after TWO days...guess what?  Had a starter that wasn't even made for the car!  SECOND, after telling me the oil had JUST been changed we found that it had not, the oil filter was old and so was the oil.  Back in the shop again with a TERRIBLE leak from the water pump.  Two towing bills and over $400 later she MIGHT have a decent vehicle.

Why?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Why did you even bring this "mechanic" along in the beginning?   After all before the sale the mechanic said everything was fine...well at least everything but the valve cover which he apparently told them to tighten but never verified that they did.

It wasn't until after you bought the car that the mechanic found everything wrong with it...ummm  perhaps the mechanic saw a huge payday in repairs coming his way...just something to think about.